Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography - it's a start

Thanks

Default Re: Photography - it's a start

It might be an idea to find a pic that you like, think about why you like it and then try and recreate it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

PhillipDine (March 24th, 2021), Seattleite (March 18th, 2021)

Thanks

You need to keep shooting what you find interesting. The questions i posed earlier are meant to make you think about why you are taking the photo. Once you have a clear objective then you can make the image in the manner you want. Accept that you are learning without apologizing. You are obviously showing work you think has merit. One of the best explanations regarding color or black and white I have found... I shoot color when I want to show you something. I shoot black and white when I want to tell you something. For street work, (if you are shooting at ISO 400) I would suggest f/8 for better depth-of-field. In street work you often do not have time for pinpoint focusing, so a little extra d-o-f can be helpful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Some nice shots. Very nice when an image speaks. Breaking your photos down and deciding what you like and what you might change is pretty easy to do with multiple shots in the field. See the impact of small compositional changes, side by side. Decide what you like and why.

One thing that I kind of miss is the limiting factor of a roll of film and a manual camera. Forced me to put more thought into each shot, to look for the shot. One learned to be aware of light, as once you chose a certain ASA/IPO film, you had to choose your other locations accordingly (until the film was used up). Working within limitations often forces one to be more conscious of their creative choices, I think. I still have some old pre and post-war Contax rangefinders, as much as collector items as anything, and got rid of my electronic film cameras a while ago. Juggling film speed choice, shutter speed, aperture, and a handful of Zeiss lenses and filters with a manual focus rangefinder was a challenge for me. Getting back a good photo a week later from the Photo-Counter at the Drug Store really felt magical. I still take a few rolls and the camera bag out, every once in a while. If anything, it makes me "see" more.

Mostly, now, I take a gazillion shots on my phone and later move most of them into the "bin" and leave a few that stand out. There is something to be said for the immediate feedback that a digital camera can provide, on location and in the moment. The editing that is at your finger tips is really empowering as well. I should take advantage of these features more, but just clicking off a zillion shots is kind of addicting.

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Not having any specific subject to pursue, I took a shot of my feet.

Amazing photo, seems like nothing special, but the picture came out wonderful!

Thanks

Apparently, Changi Airport has changed a lot from the last time I was there almost to the day in April 1969. I was on my way back from Sydney to Saigon for another year of fun in the sun.

Fifty two years allows a lot of change.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

So the university pictured is Otago? Reminded me of the old university area in Christchurch, the same Scottish gothic with all its virtues and faults.

We lived in Grafton, Auckland and moved to Lyttelton Harbour near Christchurch, while my law prof spouse taught and did research. Spent days off on driving tours, and have returned four times to visit friends and see parts we missed.

Here are a couple from Cathedral Cove at the base of the Coromandel. Hard to take a bad photo there.

South shore, Hokianga Harbour.

Here's a close-up from the bird refuge on Tiritiri Matangi.

Always a pleasure to look through my New Zealand photos.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (July 12th, 2022), Yazeh (September 4th, 2021)

Thanks

The upper harbour is quite tidal, with gleaming mudflats at the low. The round concretions are similar to the famous ones at Moeraki on South Island.

Here's one from Te Reinga, looking at the meeting of the South Pacific and the Tasman Sea.

A white-faced heron in the Ahuriri estuary, north of Napier.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (September 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (September 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Just seeing these. Nice pics. You're way better than I am at this! Although, truth be told, I have never owned a camera, really. My wife has owned some, but not me. I do take some pictures, but if it were not for my wife, there would be no photos in my house.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Awesome photos! I am a fan of a little older camera called a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 / FZ-330. While not the latest technology, it’s got a 25-600mm Leica lens with f/2.8 throughout the entire range. This means that even in darker conditions, like in a forest, the photos come out amazing. The 12.8mp sensor I’ve found to be plenty for anything but poster sized prints. It is also weather and dust sealed, which makes me more comfortable with where I take the camera.

Photography and fountain pens I’ve found go hand in hand very nicely.

Just a note, Panasonic made the electronics for a lot of the earlier Leica digital cameras.

Hope this helps. The FZ-80 is also a nice camera, but can’t withstand weather and dust. I also like the PowerShot G series, although the 10x zoom and 10mp sensor are a little long in the tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Some time ago, I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60, compact with a wide zoom range and Leica optics.

I pop it in my pocket for walks close to home and have also taken it to the west of Ireland, New Zealand, and Newfoundland and used it in the wet, snow, windstorms, and on whitewater and sailing trips. Besides occasional cleaning with a soft brush and lens cloth, it's needed zero maintenance.

I'd recommend it or an updated model without reservations.
    Last edited by Chip; September 30th, 2021 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks

I could use it