Thread: Kaweco Caramel Brown Ink Review

Thanks

Default Kaweco Caramel Brown Ink Review

Kaweco Caramel Brown Ink Review

Pre-prelude

If prefer a really great review of this ink, just go back to the reviews page and scroll down a couple of line - you will find Chrissy's review (which actually inspired me to get this ink). If you are overly modest and thus would like to read this 2nd quality review - I will most appreciate it

Prelude

This ink is not the most known/common. First of all the price is rather premium, secondly the quality is not much premium. It is a nice ink nevertheless.

The ink utterly reminds Caran d'Ache Brown ink (though the current CdA Brown is redder, they are overall similar in properties and performance) and I chose the pen for the review accordingly (I do not own a Kaweco pen).

I tested it with Caran d'Ache Genève F nib (with a dryish-medium flow).

The paper used is Oxford (a coated paper similar to Rhodia).

The water test (will be) performed with a huge drop left for hours (sorry, forgot to do it - will do and upload a photo, but I can assure you there is literally no water resistance).
    There is no water resistence. Absolutely.

Photos taken in a natural daylight (in a gentle sunlight).

Description

COMPOSITION: Dye based. Low dye load.

COLOUR: True medium (but not saturated) brown. Perhaps a bit golden (which I like). Unlike many brown inks it is neither reddish, nor greyish. Reminds some nuts or wood. In very wet nibs it might be impressive, in dry it is a bit dull (but still nice).

FLOW/LUBRICATION: The flow is a bit dryish but very consistent and actually very good (but not wet). No lubrication really, flows freely but the feeling is nothing like Sailor. An old school free flowing ink like Waterman inks. The ink is pretty quick drying.

FEATHERING/BLEEDING: Nope. It has a low dye load and is not wet.

WATER-/FADE-RESISTANCE: No water resistence. I will have to test the fade reistance but the dye load is low thus do not expect miracles.

SHADING/SHEEN: Shading is very significant. No sheen.

CLEANING: Nearly instant with just a bit of water.

Summary

I really like this shade of brown a lot. But I enjoy it better in wet nibs. My feelings are ambivalent - the ink behaves perfectly but on the other hand there is nothing spectacular about it. Meanwhile it is rather expensive, honestly if I had to pay a premium price I would rather get Sailor Manyo Shirkashi - considering the water resistance and lubrication (though the shade of brown is completely different). However this Kaweco Caramel Brown is a flawless ink. So decide yourself It is also available in short international cartridges and I must praise Kaweco for pricing them almost equally per 1ml comparing to the same bottled ink (some brands sell their cartidges for 400% of the bottled ink's price).
    Well, it is a good ink.

Thank you for reading.

Photos taken in a gentle sunlight (water test will be uploaded later)

Last edited by aurore; January 10th, 2021 at 09:05 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 10th, 2021), carlos.q (January 10th, 2021), damfino (January 26th, 2021), FredRydr (January 10th, 2021), KKay (September 27th, 2023), Ole Juul (January 10th, 2021), Yazeh (January 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,366 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Kaweco Caramel Brown Ink Review

Thank you for the review.

There have been several incarnations of brown Kaweco inks. The problem was they didn't always put the name of the ink on the bottle, so it was hard to know which one you were getting. There was Sepia Brown and Earth Brown. I thought Caran d'Ache Colours of the Earth Grand Canyon and Kaweco Earth Brown inks were the same, and were around at the same time, but they don't look the same in my comparison on my old review of Kaweco Caramel Brown. I don't have any of the Caran d'Ache Chromatics Brown so have never been able to compare those.

Caramel Brown is the newest version and should have it's name on the bottle.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aurore (January 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thank you for the review.

There have been several incarnations of brown Kaweco inks. The problem was they didn't always put the name of the ink on the bottle, so it was hard to know which one you were getting. There was Sepia Brown and Earth Brown. I thought Caran d'Ache Colours of the Earth Grand Canyon and Kaweco Earth Brown inks were the same, and were around at the same time, but they don't look the same in my comparison on my old review of Kaweco Caramel Brown. I don't have any of the Caran d'Ache Chromatics Brown so have never been able to compare those.

Caramel Brown is the newest version and should have it's name on the bottle.
    Thank you

The ink in this review is definitely Kaweco Caramel Brown. Absolutely.

As for the comparison with CdA. What I meant was actually the overall similarity - I have used many CdA ink (incl. some old and long discontinued) and while the colours differed they performed very similar and overall had a low dye load, were free flowing, dried qiuckly, all (except those with black/grey component) had mostly insignificant water resistance, were easy to clean. Good inks. So I actually did not intend to suggest the Kaweco Caramel Brown is a copy of the current CdA Brown ("Organic Brown") in terms of colour (they are not, CdA Organic Brown is redder) but indeed I can see why people compare them (beside most probably the same Austrian inks maker).

Thanks

I have this ink, only used it for one cartridge. The same with the other 3-4 packs of inks listed as shading inks. I can't say anything real bad about them, outside when I do dig through my inks, I have no urge to use them.

Part may be I seldom have more than one cartridge pen inked.

Could be I hoped for more or better shading.

Thanks

Sky Pool is a remarkable feat of engineering and design, combining the best of modern engineering and technology with the timeless beauty of nature. Its combination of materials and design make it the perfect swimming experience for anyone who wants to enjoy the view of the city skyline while taking a dip in the pool. https://skyhighpools.com/best-vacuum...e-ground-pool/