Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon reviews

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Amazon reviews

Basin arrived cracked. 2 stars
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 13th, 2022 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Amazon reviews

I take notice of Amazon reviews if it is for a product or brand that is new to me. I hear stories that the reviews are manipulated, both good and bad, but I have no other reference point. I warn others if a product does not live up to expectations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Quick question: do you find Amazon reviews useful?

Reason I am asking: looking to buy a Bento box, but the reviews of pretty much every product contain some poor ones. Actually, I find this is the case with just about every item sold on Amazon these days. So what kind of reasoning do you apply in order to sort out if reviews are accurate or even representative?

It's bugging me.
    I do read the reviews and the questions. Yesterday I bought a stainless turner spatula. After intially putting a soild one in my cart, I decided to look see if YouTube might have some comparisens. After getting recommendations, I came back to Amazon and narrowed the search to just those type. Then I compared and read reviews.

Thanks

The reviews are not always for the exact item you've chosen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (January 10th, 2021)

Thanks

I honestly don't care if some internet randy "likes" something or not. Many, if not most, reviews are just opinion, which is useless. Particularly because the people who like to review on Amazon often are not knowledgeable about the general type of product. They appear to be kids, but I think actually many are just ignorant adults.

That said, I've occasionally found a review that is downright informative and useful. Also, often people inadvertently leave a little hint, or even a useful tiny piece of information, in their writing, even if it is just an emotional opinion type of review. Bottom line: by using a lot of salt and reckless divining, I find I am able to get a trace of help from Amazon reviews.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

No product will satisfy everyone.

That's why I check the reasons that people give when they write negative reviews. Then I check up on reviews from other independent sources before I make up my mind.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Look for verified purchasees.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I ignore non verified purchased.
    I ignore the very best reviews, especially when they're clearly shills - and often auto-translated.
    I ignore the very worst reviews, especially those that are clearly competitors - and often autotranslated.
    I ignore the bad reviews that are clearly from idiots who've chosen badly, didn't know what they were buying, were unable to follow simple instructions or are just plain stupid.
    I ignore any review that's too filled with emojis, too many capitals, or from anyone that would clearly put circles or hearts instead of dots over the letter 'i'.
    I filter any review that's ranting about a delivery experience, postage rate, or other problem not actually related to the item.

That usually leaves me with a very small number of reasonably accurate reviews, and these are generally worth reading.

What sort of bento box are you after?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

amk (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks all. Good advice. I rarely buy anything from Amazon as usually I can find better deals elsewhere. In this case it just seemed an easier route, apart from the deluge of conflicting reviews.

@mizgeorge, currently I am using a Tupperware box for my lunch. It works okay but has no dividers. It also has no style (I know, I know, but I do like the aesthetic of Bento boxes).

Sistema is a New Zealand company producing very good quality lunch boxes, they produce a Bento box

https://sistemaplastics.com/products....76l-bento-box

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

Sistema is a New Zealand company producing very good quality lunch boxes, they produce a Bento box

I really like Sistema's products - I just have to get past the colours - most of which would be fine for me in ink form, but are a bit tween for carrying around.

I have a few bento boxes, and I think my favourites are probably the pared back and practical ones from muji, and my UMAMI stackable - though I see there are a lot of cheaper copies of these now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

I really like Sistema's products - I just have to get past the colours - most of which would be fine for me in ink form, but are a bit tween for carrying around.

I have a few bento boxes, and I think my favourites are probably the pared back and practical ones from muji, and my UMAMI stackable - though I see there are a lot of cheaper copies of these now.
    I have their products too, the seal is perfect even with liquids, no colours on mine Miz, just clear.

I also like the idea that I am buying an NZ made product and not Chinese.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Personally, I look at only the negative reviews because it is easier to determine if there is an issue with the product or it is just a user-error/misunderstanding of the product. It can also reveal if the seller cares about customer service.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

amk (January 11th, 2021), Detman101 (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Amazon reviews are what PK Dick had nightmares about: a recursive loop of neural networks on AWS churning out consumerist spam. There was probably an original data set back in the early 2000s, but now it is bots feeding bots. The only human ingredient now is the slaves in the warehouses, and their days are numbered.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

guyy (February 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quick question: do you find Amazon reviews useful?

Reason I am asking: looking to buy a Bento box, but the reviews of pretty much every product contain some poor ones. Actually, I find this is the case with just about every item sold on Amazon these days. So what kind of reasoning do you apply in order to sort out if reviews are accurate or even representative?

It's bugging me.
    I use Fakespot and ReviewMeta. In my experience, it is also advisable to read the reviews. If there are many reviews that parrot the vendor's sales points, then those reviews are likely fake.

Thanks

There are PR agencies who use interns to post fake reviews of their clients products on Amazon and througout the internet, a shameful practice.

Thanks

I look at the percentages; if a product gets almost all 4 and 5 stars and two or three one stars, I look at the one stars. If they're people who bought a fountain pen and are complaining it doesn't flex, I ignore them.

Sometimes products have good four and five stars and quite a lot of one star "doesn't work" reviews, in which case there's poor quality control, so I check to see whether after sales service is good.

Then I read a few reviews to see what feeling I get. Precise things like "Hey, this is the first claw-scratcher my cat hasn't scratched to bits in a day" or "it's probably a good scratcher but my cat peed on it" are worth their weight in gold. Words like great, amazing, fantastic... are worth zero.

Thanks

It depends. A lot of reviews are done at the time of purchase and thus do not give any data on durability and therefore are of little value. An example would be a mattress. I want to know what the mattress will be like in 6 months after purchase and not 6 hours. Where durability is not the principle concern, say a fountain pen, then a review by a verified buyer can be helpful. I usually the check the 1 star first to see what issues occurred and then try to separate product issues from dump buyers. It is amazing how many buyers are clueless to the product they purchased and do not read the instructions. I then see the percentage of 4 and 5 star reviews.

Just to add some fun to this tread, the humor reviews at Amazon are often the best comic relief. See: 3 Wolf Moon T-shirt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Personally, I look at only the negative reviews because it is easier to determine if there is an issue with the product or it is just a user-error/misunderstanding of the product. It can also reveal if the seller cares about customer service.
    Thats my method too.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 18th, 2021)

Thanks

I take time to read the reviews, but if there are pictures or a video from a reviewer, I will look at those first. I buy the water filters for my fridge on Amazon and several reviews said they fit perfect. There was the one person with the pictures showing why they will never fit. Saved me $40.

Thanks

I consult the reviews only rarely. Even then, it is usually only when I have absolutely no familiarity with the given object.