Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Perfect Scrambled Eggs

Thanks

Default Re: Perfect Scrambled Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrayonAngelss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    ...Toss in a big slug of butter, probably two tablespoons....
    Any self-respecting Pennsylvania Dutchman will insist on unpurified lard!
    This is true. After working in a PA Dutch tourist trap kitchen, I've seen unholy amounts of lard and sugar that mine eyes shall not unsee.
    Except I am Pennsylvania Dutch from Lancaster County, PA, and I have long ago left behind that kind of cooking. Happily .
    You're probably still alive because of leaving that kind of cooking too. At the least, you're healthier for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (February 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I suspect that it is a good recipe, but without submitting to an NYT subscription I may never know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Thanks

Thank you, but I'll stick with the Australian Country Women's Association (CWA) scrambled egg recipe. It is simple. Two eggs, two TBS of milk, one oversize TSP of butter, and salt and pepper to taste (I add dried chives). Heat the milk and butter in a pan. Add the unbeaten eggs. Stir (beating) and fold the eggs from the side. Remove from heat while still soft (cooking will continue).

This recipe is similar. LINK: https://www.australianeggs.org.au/re...crambled-eggs/

Thanks

This looks some thing great scramble on a MARMITE toast. I am on the loving side of the Marmite. I have a regular sandwich with butter and sunny side-up egg plus light coat of marmite.
    It is something heavenly for me and for others something disgusting. I know there's two sides of life for marmite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    And don't forget the Marmite between the eggs and the toast

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Glad this is not cooking forum. or the great Scrambled egg cook off! judged blind

Thanks

Yes! I grew up using milk, then read somewhere that you shouldn’t, and haven’t used milk since. The post above where someone mentions sour cream, though...that sounds interesting....

Thanks

I tried the Nytimes version it was alright. However, I prefer it with sharp cheddar or as we call it here, extra old

Thanks
    Thanked 11,041 Times in 4,011 Posts

Oh my. My wife returned from a shopping trip this morning and had stopped at the local latinx market. She had a stack of freshly-made flour tortillas that were almost too hot to handle. Scrambled up two eggs, a little cotija cheese and dollop of salsa and roll it up in a pillowy tortilla. Glad I found the thread today!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Oh my. My wife returned from a shopping trip this morning and had stopped at the local latinx market. She had a stack of freshly-made flour tortillas that were almost too hot to handle. Scrambled up two eggs, a little cotija cheese and dollop of salsa and roll it up in a pillowy tortilla. Glad I found the thread today!
    Which recipe did you made Jon?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Which recipe did you made Jon?
    Honestly? A mash-up of a couple techniques... I really don't like eggs to be too soft (and not runny) and I know that is pretty Neanderthal. But for the first time I tried to do it without scrambling prior to pan: some butter in a nice small fry pan, warm it up, put room temp egg in and then just use a spatula. It actually got done awfully quick, so next time I'll try with lower heat and two eggs. I like the fewer utensils/etc to clean. And we're lucky that friends have chickens and we get fresh eggs pretty regularly.

BTW, just tangentially: during the last year, with lockdown and whatnot, we opted for a subscription to Masterclass. I had a really extraordinary experience, watching a big series of lessons from chef Thomas Keller. It wasn't just his encyclopedic survey of tools, ingredients, methods, and more... he was/is one of the most remarkable teachers I've come across in my long life. Spectacularly clear, positive, informative, organized, I mean I was just enchanted and engrossed, and I'm not even the one who is allowed in the kitchen!!! Can't recommend his classes highly enough, and I've found a lot of good times in the MC sessions. Mid-way through Neil Gaiman on Writing now.

Ok, back to eggs!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks Jon for the update.
    Thomas Keller is something. I got to know him, thanks to Ratatouille

In retrospect, my wife told me that my scrambled eggs were perfect. That's high praise... So I guess the NYtimes recipe is a keeper...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Where do you buy cojita? I’ve looked everywhere for it, for making elote. I’m currently using a mix of crumbled Parmesan and feta, which supposedly tastes similar, but I’d love to find the real thing.

Thanks

It's fairly common here in San Diego, being just a few miles from the southern border. We get most any of our specialties of this sort from a local market called Pancho Villas, which is where they also have the fresh tortillas.

~ Benjamin Franklin