Thread: Empathy

Thanks

Default Empathy

The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

There is no way I can know what it means to be an African American, but I can try to understand and share those feelings.

There is no way I can know what it's like to be a female, but I can try to understand and share those feelings with a woman.

For me, if it is of importance to you, it is important to me. As long as people can make a conscientious decision to try to understand others, we might have a chance to heal. As long as we retreat into our own camp, the fragmentation will continue.

As a disciple of Jesus' teachings, I noticed he was not someone who retreated to his camp. He reached out to those who the society of his day considered to be less. Whether you believe in Jesus or not, I think someone who chooses to follow this concept will have a better life void of bitterness and anger.

It is easier to just argue our positions that to actually cross the aisle and attempt to show empathy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Empathy

For some reason this is what comes to mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    For some reason this is what comes to mind.

What does the video communicate to you so I do not have to watch it?

Thanks

I'd like to say "hypocrisy", but it's more complex than that. The video shows people who initially express concern with the divisiveness, etc... of current society. They think we need unity and healing. They appear empathetic. Then the topic turns to Trump and Republicans, and the attitudes change to intolerance and disgust. They are asked what they could compromise on (climate change, for example; but there are several topics), and the answer is "nothing".

It seems to align with a lot of the more outspoken posters on this forum. The "covid v economic impact" threads in the lounge turned into a dumpster fire. "You want people to die" and other hyperbole is not how one has an adult conversation. Corniche's "I can't fathom this election" thread was derailed in the second post. The "War Stories" thread was derailed in the second post.

It appears to me that many of these people are perfectly polite until they encounter an opinion they don't agree with, as the video demonstrates. They're unaware of their vitriol. Point it out or respond in kind and suddenly they're offended and even more vitriolic. The groupthink becomes bullying.

I suspect that you are sincere in your OP, but I also suspect that you are unaware of the shit-posting you've been party to (although yours is pretty passive-aggressive).

Some will now point out my part in contentiousness, but unlike them I own my comments. I readily admit that I will escalate tension. I only tolerate so much intolerance, and I challenge anyone to point to the post where I have initiated negativity vs responded to it.

Although it started with a sarcastic post, the "Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here" thread is an example of the type of discussion we could have (although the usual suspects did attempt to derail it).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Dreck (January 19th, 2021)

Thanks

i started the Contentious Virus Posts thread but the impetus for doing so was as the result of a difficult situation on this forum where there were a number of aggressive comments which many people did not want to read as part of their clicking read new posts tab. There were a number of people, many of whom are or were valuable contributors to FPG and help to keep it going, who took the view that if you want to argue/shout down/belittle others who may be misinformed or have a different point of view to your own then do not pollute our airwaves with your aggression, take it backstage by PM or some place else.

More than a couple of people had a go at me for suggesting in a lighthearted manner that if I wanted to learn about and discuss Covid that I should be listening to people with unknown medical qualifications who are better at controntation and arguing and that they and only they are correct as distinct from training and educatiing others on what has turned out to be a complex problem to solve.

I know that I am in a minority but personally I can see little or no benefit in having a discussion on a subject away from the core reason for FPGs existance as it is populated by one too many bigotted people who throw their toys out of the pram if they do not get their way.
    Last edited by Johnny_S; January 18th, 2021 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I'd like to say "hypocrisy", but it's more complex than that. The video shows people who initially express concern with the divisiveness, etc... of current society. They think we need unity and healing. They appear empathetic. Then the topic turns to Trump and Republicans, and the attitudes change to intolerance and disgust. They are asked what they could compromise on (climate change, for example; but there are several topics), and the answer is "nothing".

It seems to align with a lot of the more outspoken posters on this forum. The "covid v economic impact" threads in the lounge turned into a dumpster fire. "You want people to die" and other hyperbole is not how one has an adult conversation. Corniche's "I can't fathom this election" thread was derailed in the second post. The "War Stories" thread was derailed in the second post.

It appears to me that many of these people are perfectly polite until they encounter an opinion they don't agree with, as the video demonstrates. They're unaware of their vitriol. Point it out or respond in kind and suddenly they're offended and even more vitriolic. The groupthink becomes bullying.

I suspect that you are sincere in your OP, but I also suspect that you are unaware of the shit-posting you've been party to (although yours is pretty passive-aggressive).

Some will now point out my part in contentiousness, but unlike them I own my comments. I readily admit that I will escalate tension. I only tolerate so much intolerance, and I challenge anyone to point to the post where I have initiated negativity vs responded to it.

Although it started with a sarcastic post, the "Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here" thread is an example of the type of discussion we could have (although the usual suspects did attempt to derail it).
    Thank you.

Yes, I readily admit that I have participated and submitted posts that are not sensitive to the feelings and thoughts of other perspectives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    i started the Contentious Virus Posts thread but the impetus for doing so was as the result of a difficult situation on this forum where there were a number of aggressive comments which many people did not want to read as part of their clicking read new posts tab. There were a number of people, many of who are or were valuable contributors to FPG and help to keep it going, who took the view that if you want to argue/shout down/belittle others who may be misinformed or have a different point of view to your own then do not pollute our airwaves with your aggression, take it backstage by PM or some place else.

More than a couple of people had a go at me for suggesting in a lighthearted manner that if I wanted to learn about and discuss Covid that I should be listening to people with unknown medical qualifications who are better at controntation and arguing that they and only they are correct as distinct from training and educatiing others on what has turned out to be a complex problem to solve.

I know that I am in a minority but personally I can see little or no benefit in having a discussion on a subject about from the core reason for FPGs existance as it is populated by one too many bigotted people who throw their toys out of the pram if they do not get their way.
    I have found that understanding the virus is easy. Information is available. I remember listening to a pod cast where the infectious disease expert, Dr. Michael Osterholm, was being interviewed. He said he was less concerned about surfaces and more concerned about the aerosolized nature of the viral transmisson. He is now on soon to be President Biden's Covid Task Force.

The struggle with all things is to do the work of research which is never limited to Googling in simple terms and concepts. If one wants to learn, they have to fight the urge to only read what agrees with their biases.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    i started the Contentious Virus Posts thread but the impetus for doing so was as the result of a difficult situation on this forum where there were a number of aggressive comments which many people did not want to read as part of their clicking read new posts tab. There were a number of people, many of who are or were valuable contributors to FPG and help to keep it going, who took the view that if you want to argue/shout down/belittle others who may be misinformed or have a different point of view to your own then do not pollute our airwaves with your aggression, take it backstage by PM or some place else.

More than a couple of people had a go at me for suggesting in a lighthearted manner that if I wanted to learn about and discuss Covid that I should be listening to people with unknown medical qualifications who are better at controntation and arguing that they and only they are correct as distinct from training and educatiing others on what has turned out to be a complex problem to solve.

I know that I am in a minority but personally I can see little or no benefit in having a discussion on a subject about from the core reason for FPGs existance as it is populated by one too many bigotted people who throw their toys out of the pram if they do not get their way.
    Fair enough. Given the circumstances at the time I can see how I and others misinterpreted the meme as more sarcastic than you intended. Still, it turned into a great, informative, relatively non-contentious thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

There is no way I can know what it means to be an African American, but I can try to understand and share those feelings.

There is no way I can know what it's like to be a female, but I can try to understand and share those feelings with a woman.

For me, if it is of importance to you, it is important to me. As long as people can make a conscientious decision to try to understand others, we might have a chance to heal. As long as we retreat into our own camp, the fragmentation will continue.

As a disciple of Jesus' teachings, I noticed he was not someone who retreated to his camp. He reached out to those who the society of his day considered to be less. Whether you believe in Jesus or not, I think someone who chooses to follow this concept will have a better life void of bitterness and anger.

It is easier to just argue our positions that to actually cross the aisle and attempt to show empathy.

Something everyone should aspire to, even if it seems impossible at times, and no doubt there will be moments of failure. What is disappointing though is that there are so many people who don't even try.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 17th, 2021)