Thread: Repair Challenges of the Carene

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Repair Challenges of the Carene

The Waterman Carène isn't a pen that has multiple disassembly instructions. You get a complete nib unit, a cap and a barrel. Sometimes you have to play around with the adjusting screw on the nib unit to get the barrel end and nib to line up but that's about as far as it goes.

Occasionally looking for unusual nib units on ebay, I spotted one that looked interesting because a) it was reasonably priced and b) it was an OB. On looking at the pictures I noticed that the nib looked like it had been dropped because it was obviously bent.

Waterman nib 2.pngWaterman nib 3.png

I decided to message the seller and mention this. I also mentioned it might be tricky to fix because the nib wasn't easily removable from the section. She told me that she had bought it like this and had thought it very scratchy. After receiving my message she went back to her seller who gave her a full refund, but didn't want the nib returned. She didn't want it either, so she messaged me and said if you give me your address you can have it to see if you can fix it.

Not 100% sure whether I was up to the challenge or not I gave her my address and received the nib. Yes, definitely bent. My tools of choice for fixing this nib were Pentooling's "#HT-M: SMALLER PLIERS WITH PLASTIC LINED JAWS." and two wooden cocktail sticks. I used the pliers to straighten the nib tines then used two cocktail sticks pressed together with the tines between them to line them up, as well as to flick one tine above the other in order to make sure they were level. This proved to be a bit tricky because the tine tips wouldn't slip exactly together as the slit seemed to be almost closed immediately behind them. However, at this point I was observing the mantra - "you don't want to have to remove this nib."

Anyway, the nib tines were straight and lined up so I filled a converter with Waterman Mysterious Blue and stuck it in. Everything was perfect - until I looked at my fingers. Ink all over them. Oh blast.

I knew the principles of getting a nib out of a Carène section as I had read about it years ago on the other forum, but I had never attempted it because I had never needed to. I really didn't like the idea of using a sharp scalpel blade to raise the horns, so I slipped my thumbnail in the gaps at both sides of the nib and slid it up to the horn tips on each side. Then I gripped the tines between a rubber pimpled sheet and my plastic jawed pliers, but the jaws kept slipping off of the sheet. In the end I just gripped the tines with my plastic jawed pliers and wiggled it. It came straight out. No problem at all. Phew!!! Once my heart rate had normalised I allowed myself to wonder what I was going to use to fix it back in because there was a tiny strip of something clear on the rim edges of each horn that clearly wasn't doing much to seal it anymore. I tried some of my old HMG water resistant adhesive, but either I didn't use enough or it didn't work at all because I still had inky fingers when writing. So I had to dip the nib unit in alcohol and hot water, then remove the nib again. No problem. At least it came out almost as easily the second time.

By now I had also managed to get a brass shim between the tines in order to fix that severe tightness just beyond the tipping. Therefore, the nib tines were perfectly aligned again.

The second time I tried Shellac. Sadly, that didn't work either. After the Shellac experiment I got much more wet ink on my fingers, so that was hopeless. I can't recommend Shellac for this job. The nib had to come out again. *sigh* At least, by now, I felt like I was almost an expert in how to do it!!!!

I then found a product that I had bought a while before from The Pendragons - Ambersil adhesive for silicone sacs. I had never even cut the top off of the tube to use this, but I needed something that might work, and at the point where I was, it stood as good a chance as anything else I had tried so far.

I tipped both horn edges with a blob of Ambersil silicone adhesive and spread it out slightly along and below both horns. Not past the centre gap, but almost up to it. Then I slid it back in and left it overnight again.

Eureka!!!! No leaks, nib tines level and fixed. Looking good. All I need now is a cap and barrel for the nib unit...... Actually, my original "seller" has already mentioned something to me about this so watch this space for part two......

Carene nib_0007.JPGCarene nib_0006.JPGCarene nib_0010.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 19th, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (January 19th, 2021), carlos.q (January 18th, 2021), catbert (January 18th, 2021), Detman101 (January 20th, 2021), dneal (January 20th, 2021), eachan (January 18th, 2021), fountainpenkid (January 20th, 2021), FredRydr (January 18th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 18th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 18th, 2021), penwash (January 19th, 2021), Robert (January 18th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (January 18th, 2021), Stands on Feet (January 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Repair Challenges of the Carene

Wow. Bravo Chrissy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 18th, 2021)

Thanks

That's great work, Chrissy. I'm always telling people about patience and persistence but I don't have to tell you! You brought an open mind to the repair and you were very creative in the solutions you found. You have the heart, mind and hands of a restorer, my friend!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Wow. Bravo Chrissy
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    That's great work, Chrissy. I'm always telling people about patience and persistence but I don't have to tell you! You brought an open mind to the repair and you were very creative in the solutions you found. You have the heart, mind and hands of a restorer, my friend!
    Thank you for your kind words eachan. It started off as a no cost to me repair job. After all, it wasn't much good when I got it, so it was well worth a try. There was always a piece of scrap 18ct gold to fall back on if I failed completely. LOL
    However, I'm not in the market for any more Carène nib repairs.....
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 18th, 2021 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,253 Posts

Well done!
    How does it write after all that? It looks a very interesting shape.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Well done!
    How does it write after all that? It looks a very interesting shape.
    Thank you. It writes very smoothly either rotated left or straight, so fortunately I've somehow managed to keep the feed channels free of any sealant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Nice save!
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What a rewarding job that must have been after all the frustration!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Wow, Chrissy!

That is a tale of restoration truly worth recording. Years from now, or whenever you (or your readers) encounter a similar pen, it's amazing how useful even the little details are.

And your photos are superb!
    That Carene nib has a very cool design.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Nice save!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    What a rewarding job that must have been after all the frustration!
    Yes it feels better now. If I could turn the clock back I would use the Ambersil adhesive sealant first.

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Wow, Chrissy!

That is a tale of restoration truly worth recording. Years from now, or whenever you (or your readers) encounter a similar pen, it's amazing how useful even the little details are.

And your photos are superb!
    That Carene nib has a very cool design.
    Thanks Will.
    At least I can recommend the plastic jawed pliers and Ambersil adhesive sealant. The same plastic jawed pliers also easily removed a Parker 100 nib with little effort and no damage. I'm glad I have them.
    While I agree the Carène nib has a cool design, it has a large internal feed that holds a lot of ink and it's not the easiest to clean out. Judging by the tiny sliver of original sealant I found on the inside edge of the horns, I also suspect they might have a tendency for that sealant to fail without being dropped and then users would get inky fingers. It's hard to avoid touching at least one outer edge of a horn.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I’ll translate the British “well done” to a more American “Dayum!!! You go girl!!!”

Impressive.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I’ll translate the British “well done” to a more American “Dayum!!! You go girl!!!”

Impressive.
    Thank you dneal.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 24th, 2021 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

Part two:

Continuing the saga of this Carène, a package containing the extra parts arrived from the lady on ebay. These "extra parts" were an original box plus a complete Marine Amber pen: Cap, barrel and L nib unit!!!

What had happened was that the little connecter and screw thread had come off of the brass threaded end of the nib unit and were inside the barrel. I used a crochet hook to pull the screw thread down, then managed to screw the nib unit into the threads and unscrew the barrel. The little connecter end just dropped out. The decal end of the barrel was a bit loose so I had to tighten that up with a screwdriver and realign that nib unit with the barrel again. Job done. Less than an hour compared with the several days it took me with the OB nib.

The lady who likes Carène pens also likes Diamine Shimmer ink so I've sent her some bottles as a thank you.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 24th, 2021), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

WOW!!!!! what a fantastic tale.

Nice of you to send some shimmer ink as a present.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    WOW!!!!! what a fantastic tale.

Nice of you to send some shimmer ink as a present.
    Thanks amk
    It was the very least I could do once she said she likes shimmer inks. If she had wanted the old L nib unit back she could have had it but she has replaced her pen and got her money back for that original section so we're both happy.