Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, any body wanna show off their car, truck or SUV?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Hey, any body wanna show off their car, truck or SUV?

The wife gets the new cars. As for me, my four-wheel-frivolities are in the past and utility is uppermost. I've put over 327,000mi/526,000km on this '07 Swiss-Army-knife of a car, and my mechanic's opinion is that so long as I continue my standard of care, I can go many more. When a colleague and I travel to pen shows, we always favor the Volvo instead of his Chevy Tahoe, because we can load the cargo area with our boxes of inventory full to the ceiling while still keeping fuel expense low. Without complaint, the 2.5L motor pulls loads of firewood across town or pairs of middleweight adventure bikes across the USA and Canada.

Bicycle rack on the back at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Pennsylvania USA:

IMG_1581.jpeg

That's a riding buddy sitting on my trailer in Canyon City, Colorado USA, with my F800GS and his DL650:

IMG_1822.jpeg

Past that now and heading for 400,000 miles:

IMG_2485.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 27th, 2021 at 03:54 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (January 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021), usk15 (January 26th, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks

IMG_1748.JPG

2018 VW Tiguan. Just got it! My long-awaited dream car.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (January 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021), usk15 (January 26th, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

This is my Montblanc truck:

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

guyy (May 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021), usk15 (January 26th, 2021), Yazeh (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    This is my Montblanc truck....
    Is that from the toy museum?

Thanks

It's very, very difficult if you want a vehicle that avoids the "computer for everything" problem. I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler - hand crank windows, mechanical locks, basic stamped starter key, old-style gas flap, external hood straps, etc. The only thing automatic on it is the transmission so that my wife could drive it if need be (she never learned to drive a manual). About 3 years ago the TIPM computer unit died and it spent 2 weeks in the garage. We're talking a 13-year old vehicle that was the most basic, manual, low-tech vehicle of its time. Hopefully it's all sorted now. It's actually an enjoyable vehicle to drive, though it's on the slow side.

So I talked some to my mechanic. He's a good guy who runs his own independent garage. He said that because of a combination of safety and emissions controls, vehicles for at least the last 20 years have had rather complex computer units. It's not even a question of a 2007 vs 2020 vehicle, though the 2020 vehicle is even more complex. You'd have to go back at least to the 1990s, if not even farther, to reach the point that you have a car without a complex computer unit in it, at least in the U.S. 1990s sounds about right to me as well. I had a 1990 Jeep Wrangler quite a few years back and it was a comparatively simple vehicle. Whether it had a computer unit or not, I have no idea because it never acted up. I do know the vehicle was very simple by today's standards and I miss that simplicity. But my God, was that a slow vehicle with its 4 cylinder engine. I gave it to my nephews as a project once the body rust out.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (June 30th, 2021), FredRydr (January 26th, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    This is my Montblanc truck....
    Is that from the toy museum?

Yes.

Thanks

double

Thanks

It's all VW's fault. 1968 Bosch electronic fuel injection control unit:

To be fair, it's really the emissions and economy regulations that essentially required electronic control of the combustion process that necessitated the use of ECU's by the late '70s. They've become increasingly integrated into vehicles as consumers desired more performance and luxury. That along with the aforementioned economy/emissions and now safety regulations has gotten us to the point that even the most basic car has at least 20 discrete computer control units and high end luxury cars have well over 100.

In a current model Mercedes Benz (not to be confused with Mercedes Benz) there's a "black box" hidden in the car that records all of your driving. Read the manual carefully, and you'll see that by driving one is granting them permission to use the information in the case of an accident and provide that information to authorities. Yes, folks that's where we are in modern cars.

If you want to avoid computers in your car, to be safe, buy something pre-1968.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORPUPPY View Post
    Here’s mine. 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scatpack Widebody Octane Red. I love this car. I keep my foot outta motor. Just knowing the power is there is good enough for me. It’s been years since my last high performance vehicle. I plan to baby this car, keep it in the garage and keep the mileage low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good plan on how to ruin a car.

I'm on my sixth BMW and I'm getting increasingly bored of them, and I really don't care about my car at all anymore. My next will probably be a Mazda. I want an atmospheric ICE and Mazda still does those.

Thanks

I no longer have these two, but they have the best memories. Collecting such things took up a bit more space than collecting pens.

'40 Ford DeLuxe convertible and '63 Buick Riviera.

Attachment 58655
    401 Nailhead in that Riv? I had a 1964 Century Mahogany plank ski boat with a marine version of the Buick 401. Half ton of cast iron pushing a bundle of sticks along at 45 knots is a gas. Always thought a Riviera or Wildcat would have been a cool car to hook the trailer to. That Ford is just...art.

Bob

Thanks

Incredibly beautiful car! I am a fan of this kind of car and I hope that I will have one in the near future. At the moment I drive a 2018 Ford Focus. I really like the car, but because of my sloppy driving, I very often have chips on my windshield. The site https://www.carwindshields.info/ helped me a lot, where I read a lot of useful information about the repair of windshields.
    Last edited by Christopher Evans; June 1st, 2021 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post

Yes, the 2006 Civic Hatchback is mine...
    Haha, I was looking at the photo and thinking: Wow, Honda’s are really getting sporty looking!

I’m not a car person. I don’t give a rat’s behind about cars... but I’m now in the unfortunate position where I have to buy a new one. I’ve been in a 2008 Subaru for 10 years. I’d dread The whole process - wading through a half dozen salespeople, finding the right car, wheeling and dealing...ugh. The only thing I am exited about is how great the radio will be.
    Last edited by Igraine; May 29th, 2021 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

I’m not a car person. I don’t give a rat’s behind about cars... but I’m now in the unfortunate position where I have to buy a new one. I’ve been in a 2008 Subaru for 10 years. I’d dread The whole process - wading through a half dozen salespeople, finding the right car, wheeling and dealing...ugh. The only thing I am exited about is how great the radio will be.
    I feel your pain. The whole car buying process is designed to wear you down in order to maximize the profits to the dealer. Just make sure you start the process before you NEED a car. Go in, decide on a reasonable price, then when they say they can't do that or add all the after sale BS costs, walk away. If you truly made a decent reasonable offer they WILL call you back in and take your offer. It might take a few days to weeks, but it will happen. Unless it's a limited production model, which doesn't sound like it's the case for you.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (June 30th, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Some favorite rides of my youth

and my current ride. My car is the back one going towards Queens and the front going home to Bay Ridge. Every New Yorker says their line is the worst, but the R really is!

Last edited by guyy; May 29th, 2021 at 08:33 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 29th, 2021), fountainpenkid (May 31st, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Some favorite rides of my youth...
    I like vintage pens. Likewise, I like the vintage rides of my youth:

Norristown to Philadelphia "Philadelphia & Western" high speed line, the last interurban line in the USA. 1931 Brill Bullet cars (top) as I first rode them as a kid in the '50s and '60s, and the same car now (bottom) in a museum in Rockhill Furnace, PA (still in it's ugly SEPTA paint job):

P_W_205_Shop_Thompson_Prod_044.jpeg

0840.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 29th, 2021 at 08:56 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 29th, 2021), guyy (May 29th, 2021), Yazeh (May 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Some favorite rides of my youth...
    I like vintage pens. Likewise, I like the vintage rides of my youth:

Norristown to Philadelphia "Philadelphia & Western" high speed line, the last interurban line in the USA. 1931 Brill Bullet cars (top) as I first rode them as a kid in the '50s and '60s, and the same car now (bottom) in a museum in Rockhill Furnace, PA (still in it's ugly SEPTA paint job):

P_W_205_Shop_Thompson_Prod_044.jpeg

0840.jpeg
    I used to commute into Phila on Patco. Get up, get ready for work, get in the car, drive half hour to station, get out of the car, get on train, get off train...repeat the whole process at 5p. If it wasn’t for the horrific traffic, it would be easier to just drive in.

Thanks

Forester_1.jpg
    "2021 Subaru Forester Sport"
    My first "New Car"
    My first "SUV"
    And....My "dream-car" <3

Painted the "look at me/town whore" stripes on the trim and roof rack bits camo green and personalized the hood.
    Hate my vehicle looking exactly like 10,000 others on the road...
    Last edited by Detman101; June 30th, 2021 at 06:39 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (July 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

We've got a 2000 Honda Insight, the first hybrid to hit the US market. It gets 60 mpg. The electric boost gives it strong acceleration for motorway driving, passing etc.

For 21 years it's run like a top. Replaced the motor assist battery five years ago, for about $3k. It's saved us more than that in fuel costs.

Thanks

this my wife, wearing her helmet when we were at an SRT track day.

This makes me happy. As an automotive enthusiast I love to see people out enjoying their cars. As an organizer and instructor at high performance driving events it makes me every happier to see people learning to drive better and use the "performance" portion of their performance cars.

I don't have a current "toy" to share . Previous toys were a '16 Porsche Cayman GTS and then a '91 Mazda Miata with a Corvette LS1 putting ~450hp to the wheels. Currently very blessed to have wonderful friends as I get to borrow an '18 BMW M3 CS and '17 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE from my fellow organizers / instructors at the track. My daily driver is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.