Thread: WTB Sheaffer Imperial IV

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default WTB Sheaffer Imperial IV

Right. Done a lot more reading, and if I understand the various lists/pictures of Sheaffer models, I should be searching for Sheaffer Imperial IV (plastic cap, inlaid nib, touchdown filler). Going for the inlaid nib as another member said the conical nibs can be scratchy.

Thing is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there. Currently one I am following on eBay is from a 'particular' seller and has 16 bids with 8 days left to run! It's not even a fancy nib.

So, are there any good reputable sources for this kind of Sheaffer that is not ebay?

TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: WTB Sheaffer Imperial IV

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    So, are there any good reputable sources for this kind of Sheaffer that is not ebay?
    Stock with a 'retailer' of vintage pens always fluctuates, but whenever I consider pens from that era of Sheaffer, I always look to see what Teri at Peyton Street Pens has going. She seems to have a lucky ability to find Sheaffers, both from old stock (like an old stationery store) or pen estates. She and her mates do a very good job on any restorations, and the photos are as good as you can get without being there in person. I'd certainly look there in addition to eBay, knowing that the price will be a bit more.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I do stalk the pages of Peyton St Pens, though I suspect under the current conditions getting stock is somewhat restricted. Curiously enough I bought my first Sheaffer from Teri.

Thanks

Barry at Heritage Collectables has a Burgundy one at the moment with a fine nib. I have bought a couple of pens from him over the years and he has been very good to deal with.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I do stalk the pages of Peyton St Pens, though I suspect under the current conditions getting stock is somewhat restricted.
    Do take an occasional look, because I believe to the contrary: they seem to have had some good inventory increases recently. She has positioned the business to do well on large-estate bidding and while some of these contain a lot of the high-end collectibles, I would still keep regular tabs on things. They have also recently revamped their entire site. I looked and no Imp IV at the moment, but... just another resource.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Looking at a few ebay 'sold' listings and averaging sales prices, it seems that I should be expecting to pay somewhere in the region of $100 - $120 for a good example. Is that a fair price - note I have no other information to draw on.

Thanks

Another vote for Peyton Street. I bought 2 models that are Ranga bodies customised to use Sheaffer nibs and can attest that they provide a great writing experience. (I prefer a yielding nib rather than firm.)

Thanks

I have thought about the hybrid pens because I would dearly love to have an ebonite pen, and while the hybrid Sheaffer/Ranga pens are no doubt good, it would feel to me like two halves of pens when I would prefer one whole one of each (and I'm not sure Ranga is the right ebonite pen for me, though it's not like I have a lot of options)