Thread: David Brooks

Thanks

Default David Brooks

Mr. Brooks is a person that I have read and listened to over several years. His weekly opinon is something I have come to value as a fellow conservative.

The Case for Biden Optimism
    He’s a more transformational president than you may think.

" “Here is the thing about life: There is no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days you need a hand; there are other days when we are called to lend a hand.” Joe Biden

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/o...publicans.html

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: David Brooks

Meh, paywall.

What does the article communicate to you so I do not have to read it?
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Most calls to “national unity” are vacuous pap. They are unrealistic, kumbaya pleas to “come together” around nothing.

But, as Richard Hughes Gibson wrote this week in The Hedgehog Review, the best calls to national unity are arguments. They are aggressive calls to come together around a specific idea of America, a specific national project.

What idea of America does Joe Biden call us to unite around? It’s the old one. As Walt Whitman understood, America was founded mostly by people fleeing the remnants of feudalism, the stratified caste societies of Europe.

Today we have homegrown feudalism. On the right, we have white supremacy, an effort to perpetuate America’s racial caste system, and Christian nationalism, an effort to define America in a way that erases the pluralism that actually exists.

On the left, less viciously, we have elite universities that have become engines for the production of inequality. All that woke posturing is the professoriate’s attempt to mask the fact that they work at finishing schools where more students often come from the top 1 percent of earners than from the bottom 60 percent. Their graduates flock to insular neighborhoods in and around New York, D.C., San Francisco and a few other cities, have little contact with the rest of America and make everybody else feel scorned and invisible.

Enter Joe Biden, a man who is repelled by the ancient feudalism of the right and is outside the “meritocratic” feudalism of the left. Here is a Truman-like figure, whose Inaugural Address was spoken in the plain words and with the plain values of Main Street.

My favorite passage was this: “Here is the thing about life: There is no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days you need a hand; there are other days when we are called to lend a hand.” The Biden values are there: humility, vulnerability, compassion, resilience, interdependence, solidarity. Donald Trump’s patriotism was bloated and fear-based. Biden’s is the self-confident patriotism he absorbed by growing up in a certain sort of country during the American century.
    Opinion Debate What should the Biden administration and a Democratic-controlled Congress prioritize?

Ezra Klein, Opinion columnist, argues that Biden and the Democrats must act boldly, and clearly, to help Americans in need: “You don’t get re-elected for things voters don’t know you did.”
    Claudia Sahm, an economist, writes that Biden’s stimulus plans should be open-ended and that Americans “deserve the peace of mind of knowing that relief will continue as long as they need it.”
    Ross Douthat, Opinion columnist, argues that rather than desiring large-scale change from President Biden, “a meaningful majority of Americans may be satisfied with recovery, normalcy, a phase of decadence that feels depressing but not dire.”
    Adam Jentleson writes that the president and Senate Democrats must do away with the filibuster or risk endless gridlock: “We can’t afford for the Senate to remain the place where good ideas go to die.”
    Times Readers shared their hopes for the next four years and the Biden administration.

Every president sets the moral and cultural tone for the nation. We saw that in a terrible way over the past four years. Just by who he is, Biden sets the stage for a moral revival. His values cut across the left/right, urban/rural culture war we’ve been enduring for a generation.

This will begin to heal a broken and ungovernable nation. Next, Biden will work to depoliticize American life. Over the last years, politics was about everything except actual governance. Under Trump, partisanship was about personal identity, class resentment, religious affiliation, racial prejudice and cultural animosity.

Biden is a genius at separating politics from the culture wars. He’s been a genius at sidestepping the Trump circus, including the hullabaloo it arouses on the left. We have endured an age of affective polarization, when we didn’t disagree more, we just hated each other more. Under Biden, the emotional temperature will go down. People believe lies because of motivated reasoning. Under Biden the motivation will go down. Frankly, we need more political apathy in this country.

Biden has the right agenda, the redistribution of dignity. A politician can tell the people who have been left behind that he hears them, and that’s words. But Biden wants to present them with a $1,400 check they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten, increase the child tax credit to $3,000 and create infrastructure jobs. That’s material proof that somebody in Washington understands what you are going through and is doing something real.

Will he be able to pass this sort of sweeping legislation? I have far from given up hope. Everyday, I read that Republicans will never go for these spending plans, and I always want to ask the writer: Have you noticed that Republicans have already voted for roughly $3 trillion in new spending over the last 10 months? Do not underestimate how divided and confused their party is right now. Do not underestimate how much Republicans trust Biden personally.

Do not underestimate how many congressional Republicans would like to send checks to their people. Recently, I was on a call with the bipartisan House Problem Solvers Caucus and a similar group of senators. I was struck by how passionately these Republicans and Democrats are committed to one another across party lines, how deftly they used the evenly divided Congress to restart the Covid-19 relief effort in December, how fervently they want to break the partisan logjam.

If this doesn’t work and Republicans go into full obstruction mode, Democrats should absolutely kill the filibuster.

The salient divisions in the Biden era won’t just be left versus right. They will be between the performers, the people who run for office to get on TV, and the builders, the people who want to achieve something. They will be between the fantasists, the people who lie and fabricate, and the realists, the people who are attached to reality. They will be between the narcissists (Ted Cruz) and the institutionalists (Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell).

I was shocked by how moved I was by the Biden inaugural. We’ve been through an emotional hailstorm over four years. Suddenly the sky has cleared. It’s possible America may emerge from this trauma more transformed than we can imagine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

David Brooks article as requested

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Meh, paywall.

What does the article communicate to you so I do not have to read it?
    I appreciated the concept that fate sometimes requires us to need a hand and at other times presents an opportunity to give a hand. I am sure Biden said this because fate has been particularity cruel to him and his family. I think suffering and seeing others suffer liberalizes our souls.

While I realize that some Americans will never accept the Biden administration, something that I heard Biden say Wednesday, it is only those who are willing to work together that will be in a position to have their voices heard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Interesting piece. A little too much messianic hyperbole though.

I've always enjoyed Biden the politician. He's cut from the old cloth of a Democrat congress conspiring with a Republican President (Reagan) to spend the country into oblivion on each other's pet projects. You know where a politician stands, which is their self-interest. He wouldn't have been my choice for Democrat nominee though. His time has past.

The Democratic party has a tiger by the tail though, with their woke/progressive/radical side. Pelosi has done an embarrassing job trying to capitalize on it, and Joe might be successful in channeling it - but I doubt it. His leaked conference call of how "we got creamed" (or whatever the word was) demonstrates his practical political acumen. I don't know if the "squad" types care though.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

There shall be no national unity in these circumstances. Polling hasn't been at its best lately, but I found a recent Politico poll somewhat telling. Around the time of leaving office, Trump's disapproval rating was quite high - just over 60%. Yet in the same period, over 30% of respondents thought that Biden did not actually win the election. Of those who said Biden actually lost, 73% said there was, "solid evidence" that Biden did not win. Turning to the institution itself, around 60% responded that they were either "very" or "somewhat" confident that elections in America today reflect the will of the people. On the other hand, around 40% said they had just a little confident or were not confident at all. The numbers bode ill for the institutions of election and are entirely consistent with the qualitative rhetoric of confrontation being seen throughout the country.

Even if we assume the poll is imperfect, which they all are, if the results are just "ballpark" for wider national sentiment, then it tells that there are tens of millions of people who believe the election was stolen, most of who agree that there was "solid evidence" that Biden was not the true winner. It does not take statistical certainty to reach this conclusion, merely that the poll at least lands in the right zip code. The media landscape seems to match it. There is a huge market on the left for "Biden won" stories and on the right for "the election was stolen" rhetoric.

It might be easy to dismiss if the only people who felt this way were the group that rioted at the U.S. Capitol. But the lack of confidence goes much broader, and it's unlikely that a man that these millions of people see as illegitimately occupying the presidency will have the credibility with them to accept "unity" on left-wing or center-left terms.

It's unclear what the path forward is. There was a drop in confidence after the result of the 2000 election. What followed was a contentious presidency overall, with a brief period of unity immediately after 9/11 (itself an unusual event). Perhaps the right will resort to the sort of institutional tactics the left used against George W. Bush. But perhaps we are beyond that. Certainly the Capitol riot was something beyond what we have seen in the immediate past (and the same could be said on the left of the rioting over summer 2020).

The whole thing is familiar, yet supercharged in a way that is different and discomforting to see.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 23rd, 2021)