HI folks!

I started to repair a fountain pen just a few years ago. Every time I have to use a solvent for chemical welding or adhesive for a pen (eg. cap crack, barrel hairline, etc) I need to look around in web sites just to identifying the pen part composition (eg: celluloid, PMMA, etc) and find the right solvent or adhesive.

My proposal is to use the collective intelligence in this community to create a "database" with this valuable information, for any pen enthusiast who need to use it. Would you like to make your contribution?

I start here

Pen manufacturer | Model | Part | Material | Identification of the material | Solvents for welding | Commercial adhesive | warnings

Example:

Parker | 51 | barrel | Lucite (PMMA) | chemical test, spectroscopy | methylene chloride | -- | leave 24-48hs before use the part.
Sheaffer | Balance | barrel | Celluloid | smell like camphor when sanding | MEK, acetone | -- | MEK is better. Acetone may generate little bubbles.

If this project/proposal already exist, just let me know, and I'll remove the post.

Any contribution is regarded!