Thread: Parker 51 - modified nib

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Parker 51 - modified nib

Hi y'all.

It's not be beyond possibility that I may luck into a 51 at some point - despite very narrow opportunities. So I was wondering if I could slightly increase my chances by looking at 51s with medium nibs instead of my preferred fine. This would only be viable if a medium nib could be stubbed or made to an italic though.

Worth pursuing, or not?

Edited to add: If the 51 is modifiable, who would do that kind of work? I mean, I expect it's trickier than on an open nib?
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; January 22nd, 2021 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Default Re: Parker 51 - modified nib

The majority of 51 nibs seem to have been made in fine and extra fine, which is why pens with medium nibs sell for more, and a broad or factory stub more still.

A medium can be turned into a stub, though you'll always end up with something finer than the original. But they make nice nibs never the less.

To grind the nib it's best to take the shell off and pull the nib so that you have access to all parts of the tip, without the risk of hitting the hood or feed as you grind. I made a tool to do that, which lets me rough grind and smooth with the nib out of the pen. Final adjustment and smoothing is done with the nib in place and the pen assembled.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts

You could also take whatever size nib and have it retipped and reground. Not an inexpensive proposition, but not horribly cost prohibitive either.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Thanks for the insight, Ron Z. I had thought to include medium nibs so that my search would be wider. In my case I was looking for a specific colour in the first instance, nib second, hence the suggestion. Especially as now I am thrown back on my own resources in trying to acquire one of these pens. I may have to settle for a random colour at that.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; January 24th, 2021 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks

Currently have two candidates on my watch list: one is a vacumatic, which is a filling system I'm not keen on though the colour is blue, the other an aerometric in burgundy. Not great choices, but will see how the bidding goes. If it gets too rabid I'm out.