Thread: Bexley Carroll Shelby 427 Cobra

Thanks

Default Bexley Carroll Shelby 427 Cobra

This is my first attempt at a pen review. I hope folks find it helpful.

I was super excited when I learned that this pen was in development. Growing up, the 427 Cobra was my fathers favorite car. Though my dad never owned one (he's a tall guy and likely could not fit actually, lol), it is the car that I associate with my dad. I reached out to The Pen Family and was fortunately able to get #002 which represents the month of my dads birthday. So this pen has some significance to me. Fortunately, it has not fallen short.
    • Pros
      -The nib looks amazing! It is the most beautiful nib in my collection. It is the only nib in my collection in which nib creep actually details the relief on the nib. The image on the nib is a slightly rough to the touch allowing it to hold ink which makes the image stand out more. I've found at times that the vertical lines on either side of the cobra can retain different amounts of ink allowing one of the lines to be darker than the other. Unfortunately that did not occur when I inked it this time.

-Very comfortable grip section. It feels like the pen disappears into my hand. It can be posted securely but feels visually awkward.

-The colors on the pen are beautiful. While the paint job on the car likely did not have black in it, the mix of blue and black feels like I am holding an authentic representative in my hand. The pen looks like the attached picture of the car.

-The design is great. The checkered flag is represented on the cap band. Carroll Shelby's signature is on the cap. There are circles on the clip that represents the design on the steering wheel. On the captured converter, you will see "Powered by Shelby" which can be found on the engine of the car. Has a nice image of a cobra on the cap finial.

-The writing experience is positive. It is a good medium line. It has slight feedback without being scratchy (kinda like writing with a pencil). The nib has some give which allows for line variation if you choose to push it. Given it is an 18k nib, I don't really feel comfortable trying to get variation. I am a light writer so I don't notice much bounce when writing but it is not stiff.

-The 427 Cobra is longer than the Bexley Golden Age Triangles which makes it feel a bit more substantive in your hand. The profile of the clip is also less pronounce and more streamlined in keeping with the design of the car.

-Ebonite feed which allows for good flow

• Con
      -It has a captured converter. They are more challenging to clean compared to a standard international converter.

-Pen specs:
    Diameter body: .58" (14.73mm)
    Diameter cap: .65" (16.51mm)
    Diameter grip section: .40" (10.16mm)
    Length body: 4.04" (10.26cm)
    Length overall: 5.55" (14.09cm)
    Length posted: 6.89" (17.5cm)
    Weight capped: 44.23g
    Ink capacity: 1.21ml

Overall I really enjoy this pen. Given the meaning behind the pen for me, I plan to keep it for a very long time.

Funny story. Everyone one I told about this pen, and why I was buying it, thought I was getting it for my dad. I felt weird telling them no; like it was something I should have thought of myself and didn't. However, my dad doesn't like to read or write for fun. He would never use it. I told him this story and he looked at me with a look that said "why would you waste that money on something I would never use". Validation!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doclocs13 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 25th, 2021), cj2020 (January 29th, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 1st, 2021), Yazeh (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Bexley Carroll Shelby 427 Cobra

Beautiful pictures! I love the nib on this one!

Thanks

Thanks! I love the nib as well. And thanks again for the advice on the best way to attach .

Thanks

I don't typically like pens of this style but I'll readily admit that is one fine looking pen. Simply a beautiful pen with a great backstory.
    Thank you for showing us.

Thanks

I too usually find celebrity homage pens to be gimmicky. But this is a very nicely executed pen. I especially like the checkered flag ring on the cap. Thanks for your review, I doubt if I would have bothered to look at this pen otherwise.

Thanks

Thanks. I agree with both of you. I don't tend toward homage pens but I think they did not over do it on this one. It is an enjoyable pen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doclocs13 For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (February 2nd, 2021)