Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

Thread: Age is Good

  1. #21
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    1,080
    Thanked 722 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Age is, in my experience, no indication of ability or knowledge.

    I know dumbshit 16 year olds and dumbshit 50 year olds. Where the 16 year old may do something wrong with courageous naivete, the 50 year old will do the wrong thing with full confidence and call it experience.

    Just like the age of a whiskey is no indication of the quality, its just a stamp. Some attribute more value to this than it may or may not be worth.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

    Cookedj (January 28th, 2021)

  3. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 267 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Age is, in my experience, no indication of ability or knowledge.

    I know dumbshit 16 year olds and dumbshit 50 year olds. Where the 16 year old may do something wrong with courageous naivete, the 50 year old will do the wrong thing with full confidence and call it experience.

    Just like the age of a whiskey is no indication of the quality, its just a stamp. Some attribute more value to this than it may or may not be worth.
    That is a 'raw material' issue.

  4. #23
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,496
    Thanks
    6,085
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Age is, in my experience, no indication of ability or knowledge.

    I know dumbshit 16 year olds and dumbshit 50 year olds. Where the 16 year old may do something wrong with courageous naivete, the 50 year old will do the wrong thing with full confidence and call it experience.

    Just like the age of a whiskey is no indication of the quality, its just a stamp. Some attribute more value to this than it may or may not be worth.
    That is all well and good: age is no guarantor of anything in particular.

    But, that said... are you wiser now than you were in your teens? Smarter? More basic 'life information' at your fingertips? If you simply allow for one particular variable - that the person is paying attention and allowing life's lessons to sink in during the aging process - it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  5. #24
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 879 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Age isn't good for health, apparently.

    Sometimes I feel my raw analytical speed has reduced, but my insight has sharpened. Overall I consider that the main advantage of age - in my opinion, and relating to my experience thus far - is the ability to discern what matters over and above the mere accumulation of data. Though both are causally linked.

  6. #25
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    1,080
    Thanked 722 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

    That is all well and good: age is no guarantor of anything in particular.

    But, that said... are you wiser now than you were in your teens? Smarter? More basic 'life information' at your fingertips? If you simply allow for one particular variable - that the person is paying attention and allowing life's lessons to sink in during the aging process - it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    The cynic in me is going to call that one really big if, Jon.

    In terms of technical skill? Maybe. My skills are different, but I wouldn't call them better, per se.

    In Chuck's example, if he really did have to tell someone 42 times that he "knows what he's doing", why? What provoked the repetitive questioning? Chucks been doing whatever it is he apparently knows how to do for longer than I've been on this planet, but even I know you don't get people to leave you alone by stating, "I know what I'm doing."

    I have, on more than one occasion, "age" thinking it "knew what it was doing" and completely muck up a situation. So I suppose, ironically, my life experience tells me not to put too much faith in age as a qualifier. To flip what I said around: I've heard profound wisdom from a 20 year old as much as I've heard from a 70 year old.

    Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I'm too young to be taken seriously by anyone older and just old enough to be thought of as out of touch.

  7. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ... it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    I want to agree, but then someone like Giuliani comes along and wrecks my faith in the idea of wisdom with age.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (January 25th, 2021)

  9. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I tell my students that when I was 19, I was prime .

    They don't laugh, either.
    I don't think I have been prime since I was 2.

    Just been odd since then.
    Ha!

  10. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

    Sometimes I feel my raw analytical speed has reduced...
    for sure, in my case, except for my ability to to determine the geometry of the best napping position on the couch. I'm Watson-fast!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Empty_of_Clouds (January 25th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 25th, 2021)

  12. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 267 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

    That is all well and good: age is no guarantor of anything in particular.

    But, that said... are you wiser now than you were in your teens? Smarter? More basic 'life information' at your fingertips? If you simply allow for one particular variable - that the person is paying attention and allowing life's lessons to sink in during the aging process - it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    The cynic in me is going to call that one really big if, Jon.

    In terms of technical skill? Maybe. My skills are different, but I wouldn't call them better, per se.

    In Chuck's example, if he really did have to tell someone 42 times that he "knows what he's doing", why? What provoked the repetitive questioning? Chucks been doing whatever it is he apparently knows how to do for longer than I've been on this planet, but even I know you don't get people to leave you alone by stating, "I know what I'm doing."

    I have, on more than one occasion, "age" thinking it "knew what it was doing" and completely muck up a situation. So I suppose, ironically, my life experience tells me not to put too much faith in age as a qualifier. To flip what I said around: I've heard profound wisdom from a 20 year old as much as I've heard from a 70 year old.

    Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I'm too young to be taken seriously by anyone older and just old enough to be thought of as out of touch.
    Again that's a raw material problem. Start out with 'crap' material and you will end up with a 'crappy' end product no matter what you do to it. That adage holds true with people too.

  13. #30
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,496
    Thanks
    6,085
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I'm too young to be taken seriously by anyone older and just old enough to be thought of as out of touch.
    I have no idea of your age (except relatively) and your savvy and common-sense comes through just fine. It isn't how wise/etc a person is at any given moment, it is that they are growing that aspect of themselves, constantly.

    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Again that's a raw material problem. Start out with 'crap' material and you will end up with a 'crappy' end product no matter what you do to it. That adage holds true with people too.
    Exact. When I think of the mentors I've learned from in my life, when I think of the many enlightened voices I've studied over time, I am aware that they were always open to knowledge and experience themselves. A quality individual who seeks to better themselves will, and it will deepen with time.

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I want to agree, but then someone like Giuliani comes along and wrecks my faith in the idea of wisdom with age.
    See 2nd point, just above. A somewhat-variation on "garbage in, garbage out". A poor vessel that seeks no change will remain a poor vessel, though in Mr. G's case, I honestly think there is a physical pathology starting to be on exhibit. One hopes that funds have been set aside for long-term care.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 25th, 2021)

  15. #31
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,496
    Thanks
    6,085
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Age is Good

    As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

    I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 25th, 2021), TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

  17. #32
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,341
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 879 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

  19. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!
    Benjamin EOC Button
    BEOCB!

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Empty_of_Clouds (January 25th, 2021)

  21. #34
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    1,080
    Thanked 722 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

    I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    Agreed. I think that's what I was getting at, but you phrased it much better!

    That said, I agree with you and An old bloke, but disagree with Chuck. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but when I read Chuck's initial entry, I read "I am old and experienced, therefore you should respect me." Again, I could be reading that wrong, but it would imply that Chuck's perspective falls more on the, "with age, wisdom" line of thought. To believe contrary to what An old bloke said, Chuck implies (16 year olds know nothing) you can start with garbage raw material and end up with something good.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 26th, 2021)

  23. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

    I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    Agreed....
    Agreedx2

  24. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    863
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 485 Times in 314 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

    I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    Agreed. I think that's what I was getting at, but you phrased it much better!

    That said, I agree with you and An old bloke, but disagree with Chuck. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but when I read Chuck's initial entry, I read "I am old and experienced, therefore you should respect me." Again, I could be reading that wrong, but it would imply that Chuck's perspective falls more on the, "with age, wisdom" line of thought. To believe contrary to what An old bloke said, Chuck implies (16 year olds know nothing) you can start with garbage raw material and end up with something good.
    I will take the blame for miscommunicating. My intent was to say that age is or can be a good thing to value in others and ourselves. What caused me to start the thread was the comments about Joe Biden's age as POTUS.

    Biden brings professional experience, the loss of a wife and two children, loosing elections and almost his life to a CA. For most people it takes a life time to accumulate those experiences.

    Experiences can leave you bitter or it can leave you appreciative. Experience can make you wise or it can make you double down of being stupid. Some grow and forgive and some grow and hold on to their anger and resentment.

    As Biden said, something you need a hand and sometimes you need to lend a hand.

    Regarding 16 year olds, as a father and grandfather of teens, I do not expect them to know everything and that why I made sure and make sure they are loved gently and firmly to remain on the road to having a good life and mostly by how I try to grow and learn myself.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

    AzJon (January 26th, 2021)

  26. #37
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,594
    Thanks
    3,780
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,694 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Age is Good

    There are so many millions older than me who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 within the UK that it almost makes me feel young. I'm awaiting my turn patiently despite the fact that patience has never been my strong point.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021)

  28. #38
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    1,080
    Thanked 722 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

    I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    Agreed. I think that's what I was getting at, but you phrased it much better!

    That said, I agree with you and An old bloke, but disagree with Chuck. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but when I read Chuck's initial entry, I read "I am old and experienced, therefore you should respect me." Again, I could be reading that wrong, but it would imply that Chuck's perspective falls more on the, "with age, wisdom" line of thought. To believe contrary to what An old bloke said, Chuck implies (16 year olds know nothing) you can start with garbage raw material and end up with something good.
    I will take the blame for miscommunicating. My intent was to say that age is or can be a good thing to value in others and ourselves. What caused me to start the thread was the comments about Joe Biden's age as POTUS.

    Biden brings professional experience, the loss of a wife and two children, loosing elections and almost his life to a CA. For most people it takes a life time to accumulate those experiences.

    Experiences can leave you bitter or it can leave you appreciative. Experience can make you wise or it can make you double down of being stupid. Some grow and forgive and some grow and hold on to their anger and resentment.

    As Biden said, something you need a hand and sometimes you need to lend a hand.

    Regarding 16 year olds, as a father and grandfather of teens, I do not expect them to know everything and that why I made sure and make sure they are loved gently and firmly to remain on the road to having a good life and mostly by how I try to grow and learn myself.
    Thanks for the clarification, Chuck!

  29. #39
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    563
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 239 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!
    I think I just beat you - I'm well on the way to 23...

  30. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 267 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Age is Good

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!
    I think I just beat you - I'm well on the way to 23...
    Beat you! I'm into single digits.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •