Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Age is Good

Thanks

Default Re: Age is Good

Age is, in my experience, no indication of ability or knowledge.

I know dumbshit 16 year olds and dumbshit 50 year olds. Where the 16 year old may do something wrong with courageous naivete, the 50 year old will do the wrong thing with full confidence and call it experience.

Just like the age of a whiskey is no indication of the quality, its just a stamp. Some attribute more value to this than it may or may not be worth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Cookedj (January 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

I know dumbshit 16 year olds and dumbshit 50 year olds. Where the 16 year old may do something wrong with courageous naivete, the 50 year old will do the wrong thing with full confidence and call it experience.

Just like the age of a whiskey is no indication of the quality, its just a stamp. Some attribute more value to this than it may or may not be worth.
    That is a 'raw material' issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

That is all well and good: age is no guarantor of anything in particular.

But, that said... are you wiser now than you were in your teens? Smarter? More basic 'life information' at your fingertips? If you simply allow for one particular variable - that the person is paying attention and allowing life's lessons to sink in during the aging process - it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Age isn't good for health, apparently.

Sometimes I feel my raw analytical speed has reduced, but my insight has sharpened. Overall I consider that the main advantage of age - in my opinion, and relating to my experience thus far - is the ability to discern what matters over and above the mere accumulation of data. Though both are causally linked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

But, that said... are you wiser now than you were in your teens? Smarter? More basic 'life information' at your fingertips? If you simply allow for one particular variable - that the person is paying attention and allowing life's lessons to sink in during the aging process - it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    The cynic in me is going to call that one really big if, Jon.

In terms of technical skill? Maybe. My skills are different, but I wouldn't call them better, per se.

In Chuck's example, if he really did have to tell someone 42 times that he "knows what he's doing", why? What provoked the repetitive questioning? Chucks been doing whatever it is he apparently knows how to do for longer than I've been on this planet, but even I know you don't get people to leave you alone by stating, "I know what I'm doing."

I have, on more than one occasion, "age" thinking it "knew what it was doing" and completely muck up a situation. So I suppose, ironically, my life experience tells me not to put too much faith in age as a qualifier. To flip what I said around: I've heard profound wisdom from a 20 year old as much as I've heard from a 70 year old.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I'm too young to be taken seriously by anyone older and just old enough to be thought of as out of touch.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

... it is inconceivable to consider the passing of time not to have a beneficial effect. All other things being equal, agreeing that a close-minded clod will be just that as long as they live, the gradual gathering of information and experience over a lifetime is not to be dismissed as a resource.
    I want to agree, but then someone like Giuliani comes along and wrecks my faith in the idea of wisdom with age.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I tell my students that when I was 19, I was prime .

They don't laugh, either.
    I don't think I have been prime since I was 2.

Just been odd since then.
    Ha!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Sometimes I feel my raw analytical speed has reduced...
    for sure, in my case, except for my ability to to determine the geometry of the best napping position on the couch. I'm Watson-fast!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 25th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

The cynic in me is going to call that one really big if, Jon.

In terms of technical skill? Maybe. My skills are different, but I wouldn't call them better, per se.

In Chuck's example, if he really did have to tell someone 42 times that he "knows what he's doing", why? What provoked the repetitive questioning? Chucks been doing whatever it is he apparently knows how to do for longer than I've been on this planet, but even I know you don't get people to leave you alone by stating, "I know what I'm doing."

I have, on more than one occasion, "age" thinking it "knew what it was doing" and completely muck up a situation. So I suppose, ironically, my life experience tells me not to put too much faith in age as a qualifier. To flip what I said around: I've heard profound wisdom from a 20 year old as much as I've heard from a 70 year old.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I'm too young to be taken seriously by anyone older and just old enough to be thought of as out of touch.
    Again that's a raw material problem. Start out with 'crap' material and you will end up with a 'crappy' end product no matter what you do to it. That adage holds true with people too.

Thanks

I have no idea of your age (except relatively) and your savvy and common-sense comes through just fine. It isn't how wise/etc a person is at any given moment, it is that they are growing that aspect of themselves, constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Again that's a raw material problem. Start out with 'crap' material and you will end up with a 'crappy' end product no matter what you do to it. That adage holds true with people too.
    Exact. When I think of the mentors I've learned from in my life, when I think of the many enlightened voices I've studied over time, I am aware that they were always open to knowledge and experience themselves. A quality individual who seeks to better themselves will, and it will deepen with time.

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I want to agree, but then someone like Giuliani comes along and wrecks my faith in the idea of wisdom with age.
    See 2nd point, just above. A somewhat-variation on "garbage in, garbage out". A poor vessel that seeks no change will remain a poor vessel, though in Mr. G's case, I honestly think there is a physical pathology starting to be on exhibit. One hopes that funds have been set aside for long-term care.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 25th, 2021), TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

I told myself that when I reach 40 years I am going to age backward. I'll be 24 next birthday. Soon be raving again!
    Benjamin EOC Button
    BEOCB!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

As I've thought about it more, I think clarity in the statement would help what *I* believe is the case.

I don't think "With age comes wisdom" but rather "A wise person will deepen their wisdom with age". The people I've learned the most from, often in the latter parts of their life, I have no doubt were remarkable people even when young. The young people that have blown me away give me no reason to believe that they are going to gradually, over time, become complete idiots. I certainly hope not, on that count!
    Agreed. I think that's what I was getting at, but you phrased it much better!

That said, I agree with you and An old bloke, but disagree with Chuck. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but when I read Chuck's initial entry, I read "I am old and experienced, therefore you should respect me." Again, I could be reading that wrong, but it would imply that Chuck's perspective falls more on the, "with age, wisdom" line of thought. To believe contrary to what An old bloke said, Chuck implies (16 year olds know nothing) you can start with garbage raw material and end up with something good.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 25th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Agreed....
    Agreedx2

Thanks

That said, I agree with you and An old bloke, but disagree with Chuck. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but when I read Chuck's initial entry, I read "I am old and experienced, therefore you should respect me." Again, I could be reading that wrong, but it would imply that Chuck's perspective falls more on the, "with age, wisdom" line of thought. To believe contrary to what An old bloke said, Chuck implies (16 year olds know nothing) you can start with garbage raw material and end up with something good.
    I will take the blame for miscommunicating. My intent was to say that age is or can be a good thing to value in others and ourselves. What caused me to start the thread was the comments about Joe Biden's age as POTUS.

Biden brings professional experience, the loss of a wife and two children, loosing elections and almost his life to a CA. For most people it takes a life time to accumulate those experiences.

Experiences can leave you bitter or it can leave you appreciative. Experience can make you wise or it can make you double down of being stupid. Some grow and forgive and some grow and hold on to their anger and resentment.

As Biden said, something you need a hand and sometimes you need to lend a hand.

Regarding 16 year olds, as a father and grandfather of teens, I do not expect them to know everything and that why I made sure and make sure they are loved gently and firmly to remain on the road to having a good life and mostly by how I try to grow and learn myself.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

There are so many millions older than me who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 within the UK that it almost makes me feel young. I'm awaiting my turn patiently despite the fact that patience has never been my strong point.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I will take the blame for miscommunicating. My intent was to say that age is or can be a good thing to value in others and ourselves. What caused me to start the thread was the comments about Joe Biden's age as POTUS.

Biden brings professional experience, the loss of a wife and two children, loosing elections and almost his life to a CA. For most people it takes a life time to accumulate those experiences.

Experiences can leave you bitter or it can leave you appreciative. Experience can make you wise or it can make you double down of being stupid. Some grow and forgive and some grow and hold on to their anger and resentment.

As Biden said, something you need a hand and sometimes you need to lend a hand.

Regarding 16 year olds, as a father and grandfather of teens, I do not expect them to know everything and that why I made sure and make sure they are loved gently and firmly to remain on the road to having a good life and mostly by how I try to grow and learn myself.
    Thanks for the clarification, Chuck!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

I think I just beat you - I'm well on the way to 23...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I think I just beat you - I'm well on the way to 23...
    Beat you! I'm into single digits.