Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Age is Good

Thanks

Default Re: Age is Good

"I've been making calls for 42 years, so you don't have to tell me how to use a telephone! Hey, where's the dial on this new-fangled infernal contraption!"

Bob

Thanks

I try and incorporate my age and experience into my classes. I tell the students different bits and pieces of wisdom, but the most shocking to them is saying they don't need to go to college to be successful. I try to always speak truth to them, but temper it with love.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    "I've been making calls for 42 years, so you don't have to tell me how to use a telephone! Hey, where's the dial on this new-fangled infernal contraption!"

Bob
    I've seen that one work the other way. I like technology and part of that means I also collect. So when my kids friend wants to call home, and is pointed to a classic 1950's wall phone with a dial, he balks. "Hey! How do you use this thing?" That was almost 30 years ago.

Thanks

I may have mentioned this before. There was a TV show where present-day kids were given items from previous decades. They were smart kids and managed most things but the dial phone completely defeated them.

Thanks

An employee left her phone in my office, I took it to her and made her laugh when I called it a Walkman.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I may have mentioned this before. There was a TV show where present-day kids were given items from previous decades. They were smart kids and managed most things but the dial phone completely defeated them.
    To be fair, a rotary style phone is not the most intuitive creation of all time.

Thanks

This thread has done much to demonstrate that we all to do age the same. If someone asked how to age and remain with a postive outlook on life and toward other's I'd admit that I don't know. I only know what has worked for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I can’t objectively assess my “wisdom”, but aging has been a process of letting go. I’m on my last puppy, my last car, my last house, my last (and only) husband. I’ve begun to think quite a lot about what’s on the other side. It used to fill me with terror when I was in my twenties, now I’m just curious.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (January 29th, 2021), Yazeh (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I certainly learned a few things in my twenties and thirties that they don't teach in university but I'm not aware of any great increase in wisdom since. Like VertOlive I'm having to let go. My last dog was several years ago, my last cat died a few weeks ago. I sold my bike as I could no longer use it and I've had my last walk of more than a few hundred yards. On the other hand, I still work at pen restoration, a skillset I have acquired over many years. I have learned how to maintain and enhance a wonderful relationship, perhaps because I was so bad at it before.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (January 29th, 2021), Yazeh (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    To be fair, a rotary style phone is not the most intuitive creation of all time.
    That's true, especially after two generations who have become used to pressing buttons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    That's true, especially after two generations who have become used to pressing buttons.
    Even worse when you pick up the phone and the operator says 'Number please' and you ask for Walmington on Sea 212.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

eachan (January 29th, 2021)

Thanks

There were push button automatic transmissions going back to the mid sixties.

Since this is a writing instrument forum, how about those Mark Sense mechanical pencils with the caps that could be used to dial a phone. I bought one or two just for posterty sake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    There were push button automatic transmissions going back to the mid sixties.

Since this is a writing instrument forum, how about those Mark Sense mechanical pencils with the caps that could be used to dial a phone. I bought one or two just for posterty sake.
    As I recall there were pens made with a rounded end for you to dial a call, possibly during the 1930s.

I cannot recall the maker though, I know that Sheaffer made a pen they called a phone dialler, an elongated andtapered barrel but the one in my mind had a real ball end to it.
    Last edited by Fermata; January 29th, 2021 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post

Bob
    I've seen that one work the other way. I like technology and part of that means I also collect. So when my kids friend wants to call home, and is pointed to a classic 1950's wall phone with a dial, he balks. "Hey! How do you use this thing?" That was almost 30 years ago.
    Yes. I think that your scenario is a bit more charming than mine, though. Change is hard, and does seem to get more difficult for some as the years advance. Change involves giving up a current position, so as to embrace a new one. I think that is my point about the grey haired luddite with 42 years of competency at stake.

Bob

Thanks

Is the opposite to all this true, are there modern things that are just too complicated, or just not for you.

For me it was a new lap top, I use all my fingers when typing, my right hand little finger works the return key, the new lap top had the return key part way along the keyboard, i knew we were never going to get along and it went back.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (January 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Things seem more complicated than they are. We have to overcome inertia, as a fellow once said to me. It was an astute observation.

Muscle memory, as least for me, occurs rapdily, but mastery takes years.

Motivation and curiousity come into play. As one man said, it is not practice makes perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect as we can practice incorrectly. It's always good to have mentors.

Thanks

When I see a video .."How to write with a fountain pen" or "how to load a camera with a Film "
    It make me a bit annoying to think as to whom they are talking to????
    Then soon comes to my mind there's a growing Millennials they belongs to this new generation.
    They call themselves they are in the technological era ( They do everything while reading the ELECTRONIC PALM )
    Yes they believe we are in the nuclear-age but do they know that the true journalism was there to read right news. and finding right things was not complicated like now a days.
    The science and tech had gone to the top level but do they know at least few things as the anti gravity and star time-travel is being done in our planet?
    The Aliens and humanoids are among us and helping us?? Do they know the TEFAL NON-STICK COATING, FIBRE OPTICS , NIGHT VISION TECH IN WAR FARE ARE BORROWED TECHNOLOGY FROM THE ALEANS ?
    The moon is a artificial hologram planet created by some higher power to maintaining and control our planet!!!
    There are many more science borrowed from them. But the millennial will know the corvid was a deathly pandemic that killed during 2020- 2021.
    Just as we know in the history there's has been a pandemic called "" Spanish flu and Black plague'. Although it has not happened this corvid 19 =high sesonal fewer they will not know how to live without wearing the mask.
    I think all they believe and know is what they are experiencing, all the perception of the environments and most of them will have a problem to turn a page of a book.
    IN 50 YEARS OF TIME THERE'LL BE VIDEOS LIKE " How to turn the pages and how to use them" what a technological world would it be the there???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    The moon is a artificial hologram planet created by some higher power to maintaining and control our planet!!!
    So Capricorn One was a documentary? OMG.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

When I see a video .."How to write with a fountain pen" or "how to load a camera with a Film "
    Then soon comes to my mind there's a growing Millennials they belongs to this new generation.
    They call themselves they are in the technological era ( They do everything while reading the ELECTRONIC PALM )
    Yes they believe we are in the nuclear-age but do they know that the true journalism was there to read right news. and finding right things was not complicated like now a days.
    The science and tech had gone to the top level but do they know at least few things as the anti gravity and star time-travel is being done in our planet?
    The Aliens and humanoids are among us and helping us?? Do they know the TEFAL NON-STICK COATING, FIBRE OPTICS , NIGHT VISION TECH IN WAR FARE ARE BORROWED TECHNOLOGY FROM THE ALEANS ?
    There are many more science borrowed from them. But the millennial will know the corvid was a deathly pandemic that killed during 2020- 2021.
    Just as we know in the history there's has been a pandemic called "" Spanish flu and Black plague'. Although it has not happened this corvid 19 =high sesonal fewer they will not know how to live without wearing the mask.
    I think all they believe and know is what they are experiencing, all the perception of the environments and most of them will have a problem to turn a page of a book.
    IN 50 YEARS OF TIME THERE'LL BE VIDEOS LIKE " How to turn the pages and how to use them" what a technological world would it be the there???
    I cannot agree, but I suspect you are not being entirely serious. Some things are intuitive. Did anyone have to tell a boy where to put his male member and slide it back and forth? Sorry to be crude, but disparaging a younger generation is neither smart or good.

Thanks

I'd laugh with you, but we're legitimately living in times when I'm not certain if you're serious or not.