Thread: Age is Good

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Age is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    As a general rule people become less flexible in their thinking as they age, and less likely to move away from their held beliefs. Also, exposure does not always indicate experience, in the sense that the term experience usually relates to learning. I've known many people who seemed to have learned very little despite being exposed to many years of living.
    Really, I have become more flexible.

Perhaps, but I have been accused of "thinking too damn much". My exposure has resulted in change. I remember being fired, the first time. It resulted in academic work and a recovery of income. Then, at 50 assuming responsibilty of twin children. Had life been only pleasent, I would have been exposed to less and not gained the riches of experience.
    Perhaps, but how have you measured or recorded this change over time?

Thinking about more things is not the same as being flexible.

Anyway, my statement was expressed as a general one, and there is tons of scientific evidence to support it if you care to look. Personal observation of myself and others tends to validate the research in a non-controlled manner.

Thanks

Default Re: Age is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    As a general rule people become less flexible in their thinking as they age, and less likely to move away from their held beliefs. Also, exposure does not always indicate experience, in the sense that the term experience usually relates to learning. I've known many people who seemed to have learned very little despite being exposed to many years of living.
    Really, I have become more flexible.

Perhaps, but I have been accused of "thinking too damn much". My exposure has resulted in change. I remember being fired, the first time. It resulted in academic work and a recovery of income. Then, at 50 assuming responsibilty of twin children. Had life been only pleasent, I would have been exposed to less and not gained the riches of experience.
    Perhaps, but how have you measured or recorded this change over time?

Thinking about more things is not the same as being flexible.

Anyway, my statement was expressed as a general one, and there is tons of scientific evidence to support it if you care to look. Personal observation of myself and others tends to validate the research in a non-controlled manner.
    I can only speak of myself and the wisdom that I have gained from old men and women who contiued to learn as they aged. i do believe that the ability to change is a conscious effort and not anything automatic.