Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age is Good

Thanks

Default Age is Good

It appears some are concerned about an older adult owning power. What I have experienced is that age plus experience can equate to wisdom. While it might be possible for a 16 year old to know some things, it they survive, when they age, they will acquire more knoweldge and experience that will temper how they perceive the world and others.

Every older adult does not have dementia. It is not automatic.

I had to repeat the other day that I have been doing this 42 years. I know what I am doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Age is Good

Growing older beats the other alternative. I hope to stay above the grass line for another decade or two.

Thanks

The Dunning-Kruger effect was mentioned the other day. One of those things which thrives in youth, but (hopefully) fades as you grow up and age.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I don't object to being old, I would like the opportunity to go back exactly 30 years ago, I would make changes but that would probably be banned.

In terms of being smarter, I suppose part of that is the opportunity to read more non fiction, it does seem to pay off when it comes to answwering questions on University Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfaA7md3GVY

There are people who say that they can predict changes, they say that 2028 major step change year, I would like to still be around for that.
    The concept of going back has always been of interest. I would definately worry less and enjoy more. Given my bent, I am attempting to live in the moment as much as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

As a general rule people become less flexible in their thinking as they age, and less likely to move away from their held beliefs. Also, exposure does not always indicate experience, in the sense that the term experience usually relates to learning. I've known many people who seemed to have learned very little despite being exposed to many years of living.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Seattleite (January 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    As a general rule people become less flexible in their thinking as they age, and less likely to move away from their held beliefs. Also, exposure does not always indicate experience, in the sense that the term experience usually relates to learning. I've known many people who seemed to have learned very little despite being exposed to many years of living.
    Really, I have become more flexible.

Perhaps, but I have been accused of "thinking too damn much". My exposure has resulted in change. I remember being fired, the first time. It resulted in academic work and a recovery of income. Then, at 50 assuming responsibilty of twin children. Had life been only pleasent, I would have been exposed to less and not gained the riches of experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Is it important that I still remember when our motto was "Don't trust anyone over 30"?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Cyril (February 24th, 2021), GardenWeasel (January 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2021), VertOlive (January 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Is it important that I still remember when our motto was "Don't trust anyone over 30"?
    Is it important that I still remember before our motto was "Don't trust anyone over 30"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

Perhaps, but I have been accused of "thinking too damn much". My exposure has resulted in change. I remember being fired, the first time. It resulted in academic work and a recovery of income. Then, at 50 assuming responsibilty of twin children. Had life been only pleasent, I would have been exposed to less and not gained the riches of experience.
    Perhaps, but how have you measured or recorded this change over time?

Thinking about more things is not the same as being flexible.

Anyway, my statement was expressed as a general one, and there is tons of scientific evidence to support it if you care to look. Personal observation of myself and others tends to validate the research in a non-controlled manner.

Thanks

Perhaps, but how have you measured or recorded this change over time?

Thinking about more things is not the same as being flexible.

Anyway, my statement was expressed as a general one, and there is tons of scientific evidence to support it if you care to look. Personal observation of myself and others tends to validate the research in a non-controlled manner.
    I can only speak of myself and the wisdom that I have gained from old men and women who contiued to learn as they aged. i do believe that the ability to change is a conscious effort and not anything automatic.

Thanks

Experience, life experience in particular, is a great teacher. I can confirm that I am much 'wiser' at 72 than I ever imagined I was at 22 or even at 32. And, I'm not done learning yet!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Meh, old age is overrated. With each passing year, I am just more acutely aware of my shortcomings. The blissful ignorance of youth has much to recommend it!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), GardenWeasel (January 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

The Chinese have a saying: 老王卖瓜,自卖自夸 Every potter praises his own pot but it is a cautionary statement not to be taken literally.

At every stage of my life there have been moments when, looking back, I realised that I understood something now that I didn't in the past. However, there is much of value that I felt and thought in the past, the innocent view and the passions, that I can no longer access now. Life isn't a linear path of improvement. Much may be lost on the journey, just as much may be gained.

That's just my take on it.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), Seattleite (January 28th, 2021), silverlifter (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

there is much of value that I felt and thought in the past, the innocent view and the passions, that I can no longer access now...
    This. Hope for the future is one thing that I had in abundance in my youth, now it feels like the thylacine.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I tell my students that when I was 19, I knew everything. Now that I am 63, I realize how little I know.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021), eachan (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

I tell my students that when I was 19, I was prime .

They don't laugh, either.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Fermata (January 25th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

A wise person, who endeavors to gain experience and knowledge over time, will develop a profound breadth and depth in their understanding of the world and the people around them as the years roll on. A clueless fuck will stay as dumb as a bag of hair until the day they expire.

While we all exist in the continuum somewhere between the two scenarios, aiming for the first seems like a good plan to me.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Totes. I aimed for the second scenario - seemed easier to achieve, and it was!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Totes. I aimed for the second scenario - seemed easier to achieve, and it was!
    At least for the men, hanging onto that bag of hair into later years isn't always a bad idea...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I tell my students that when I was 19, I was prime .

They don't laugh, either.
    I don't think I have been prime since I was 2.

Just been odd since then.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post: