Thread: Waterman pen sets with knife sold by L. G. Sloan, Ltd. of London

Thanks

Default Waterman pen sets with knife sold by L. G. Sloan, Ltd. of London

Hello - new user here and first post. This site looks to be a very informative forum and I appreciate being able to post here.

I have an unusual and fine 3' x 3' pocket/folding knife display case from the late 1930s that has 66 various fancy folding knives, most being marked "Sloan/Kingsway". I have seen an advertisement from 1933 (Strand Magazine) showing a L. G. Sloan of London advertisement of a Waterman Pen Set containing a pocket knife with a letter opener blade similar to some in my display case. As there is no known production of pocket knives by Sloan it has been suggested that Sloan and/or Waterman may have considered selling these knives either at the London store or the NY Waterman's store in the 1930s thus the fancy display with catalog numbers beside each knife.

I have only found the one such advertisement and would appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with other ads or any idea if my idea is a good one in the first place. I know that there was a relationship between Sloan and Waterman back then. Perhaps any vintage 1930s photographs of the inside of either store would show this display.

I can show an image of the display case here (I know this is a pen site, not a knife site) if asked.

Thanks for all of your consideration to this as I am trying to figure out the history and origin of this set. All that I know about it is that it was purchased at a West Coast auction some years ago.

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman pen sets with knife sold by L. G. Sloan, Ltd. of London

Sorry, no one answered.

It was as interesting as many of other things.

It's a little late but if you could drop a picture of the advertisement, it would be nice.
    In I like pocket & belt knives, swords, and mechanical watches; pocket and wrist.

Thanks

And I am sorry that I am so late with getting back to this as well.

Following is the advertisement in The Strand Magazine of 1933. From the hallmarks on the silver handled knives, that is about the date that these knives were made. Sloan and Waterman had a business relationship, and it would sure seem that they could have been exploring selling some knives with pen sets as the advertisement shows. That must not have happened after all.

I sure appreciate hearing any comments.

Frank Graves

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank Graves For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 2nd, 2023), countrydirt (November 28th, 2022), Cyril (May 30th, 2023), Deb (November 27th, 2022), Doggy Daddy (November 27th, 2022), Scrawler (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks

L.G. Sloan, Ltd. is a well-known retailer of writing instruments and accessories in London, but their specific product offerings can vary over time.
    slither io

Thanks

Thanks, Suri, for noting this. After years of searching for a link I now suppose that this product association did not work out after all.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Frank your post has sadly been ressurected by one of the many spambots on here. suri is a sneaky spambot posting hidden links underneath the last word of the spam sentence. Just hover your cursor underneath the word "time" but don't click on it. suri does this on every post as you can see when you click on the valid link of the name at the left hand side of the post then check out other posts.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 16th, 2023 at 12:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens