Thread: Pen Show - sellers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Pen Show - sellers

Thinking of ways to make sourcing/acquiring certain pens easier, what do the regular sellers at pen shows do when they don't have a pen show to sell at? Is there a list somewhere of contact details or websites (for those that may have them). I recall that on one of the Italian "Zoom" pen shows there were a few websites for sellers that I had never heard of, but I lost the presentation with the images and details.

Obviously, without ever having been to a pen show I've not been able to access any of the usual networks, so I'm kind of left asking for a little grace on here.

In the near to mid future I will probably be looking for some vintage models that would be nice to have an example of. Typically.

1. (Yet another) Parker 51 - which is proving so hard to find a suitable example.
    2. A Parker Vacumatic - I like the black striped ones with the arrow nib.
    3. A Waterman 94 in mahogany, in good condition but flexible nib not essential.
    4. A flat top Sheaffer.
    5. A Parker Duofold - not the striped kind.

I am sure I may think of more, and this list is not in any order.

Currently I am restricted to buying from Gary Lehrer, and while he has some really super pens they are not often ones on my list, and the sales only happen sporadically through the year. Great seller though. Getting an introduction to others of similar stature would be fantastic, but I don't know of anyone else or how to contact them.

Any suggestions, apart from the anatomically impossible variety, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: Pen Show - sellers

The Zoom shows that I saw seem to have died out; maybe others here know of some still going.

ONe place that seems to stay 'in business' if only because it is run by seasoned people is The Weekly Virtual Pen Show on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/658728451558877

This was set up a few months ago and the main admin (I think) is David Nishimura. I can't say that it will totally hit your particular pens, as many of the sellers are European, but there are a lot of great pens I've seen and of the names I recognize, all reputable people. I know it's Facebook, but that is where they do it, what can I say.

I thought there was something out of Denver, maybe? Will Gunadi, do you know? There just hasn't been any traction in the US, AFAIK, for regular virtual show activity. People are just hunkered down in a lot of places, not thinking about much more than getting through until the pandemic calms down here.

I would also suggest the Pentrace Market Board, as the sellers there are older, vintage stuff kind of people. Not high traffic and some people have had problems logging in, and it is such a small group and just one admin, I can't unhesitatingly recommend it, but nothing ventured and all that... In days past there was a seller there that I got some nice Sheaffer flattops from, but I haven't seen him in a year or more.

Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (January 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Pen Show - sellers

Thanks Jon. I was rather hoping that there may some contact details for US sellers. Backchannel if discretion is required of course.

Yes, the Zoom shows seem to have vanished. Could be for any number of reasons I suppose, and no doubt (not from personal experience) it is a shadow of a real pen show, but surely there are sellers out there still keen to trade.

The Lone Star Pen Club in Houston still has regular Zoom pen meets, but now I am back working in my office they are inconveniently timed for me. Not sure if there are any other clubs doing this online; that would be a good place to establish a few connections, so to speak.

I am a member of Pentrace - Dave - but traffic there is glacially slow, and I have no real idea who any of the other members are, short of messaging them all individually and asking! Hence the request here in the slim hope that the community may be able to furnish me with some leads.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; January 27th, 2021 at 03:06 PM.