Thread: Eversharp Skyline

Thanks

Default Eversharp Skyline

I'm looking at an Eversharp Skyline from an online seller. It appears to be in pretty good condition with the teardrop nib that says 14K. I've been told it is fine with some flex. Seller is asking 50 and has been restored to working condition.
    Is this a decent price for this model?
    Did Eversharp make a flex nib on the Skyline or will it be closer to modern flex nibs?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Eversharp Skyline

That's a good price if it is in good condition, restored, and with some flex. Yes, a lot of Skyline nibs have some flex to them.

Here is a link to my favoured seller's current catalogue - LINK - scroll a long way down to see a couple of trays of Eversharp Skylines. Prices range and are a bit higher than what you are being quoted, but Gary is an outstanding seller.

Also, for interested observers who think that the Chinese are the only copiers of pen designs, have a look at this:

This is a vintage Parlament pen; apparently a sub brand of Penol, a Danish company. Different filling mechanism, but look at that cap!

Thanks

You may need to give a bit more info:
    Seller is asking 50 what (euros? dollars?)? Seller is where (USA? Europe?). Gold filled or plastic cap? Which barrel colour?

The Skyline is quite abundant in the USA, not so much in the rest of the world. But if the restored pen comes with a warranty or other agreement (eg free return) from a reputable seller then € 50 or $ 50 is always a decent price. The price of the Skyline is steadily going up over the last years. And the teardrop nib is a bit less common.

Be aware that the description 'flex' is very subjective and widely used to warrant a premium asking price. Best is to ask for a writing sample if flex is what you are after.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. If it's still there I might go ahead and get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I paid $150 for this set:

Bear in mind that this is described as "A touch of lever brassing, otherwise near mint", is restored and warranted for 90 days, is a set, and has a broad italic nib (somewhat rare).

Ultimately it comes down to what you are happy to pay for what you get, of course. I was happy to pay $150 for this set.

Thanks

Seller is asking 50 dollars. It is black barrel on black cap with chrome bar, clip, bands. No chipping or pitting that I can see. It looks to be in great shape. Looks to have a transparent section.
    I believe I will ask for a writing sample. Thank you for the suggestion.

Empty of Clouds: Those are nice pens. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Skwerlmasta; January 27th, 2021 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

The trim is almost certainly gold fill. Transparent section is an early feature that often appears with the teardrop nib. A little less common.

50 dollars seems pretty reasonable for a restored Skyline. These are quality pens. If you don't like it, is there a return policy?

Bob

Thanks

I contacted the seller and he clarified that the nib barely flexed and there was no line variation. I'm probably going to go to Peyton Street Pens to get an actual flex nib. The lady in my life is going to work through the American Cursive book and I thought the flex pen might give her writing a little flair. They have some Eversharp pens that have some line variation. A little more expensive but I've dealt with them once before and they seem to have a good reputation.
    Valentine's gift, can't go cheap and miss the mark. Ahhh, nothing says love like a fountain pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerlmasta View Post
    I contacted the seller and he clarified that the nib barely flexed and there was no line variation. I'm probably going to go to Peyton Street Pens to get an actual flex nib. The lady in my life is going to work through the American Cursive book and I thought the flex pen might give her writing a little flair. They have some Eversharp pens that have some line variation. A little more expensive but I've dealt with them once before and they seem to have a good reputation.
    Valentine's gift, can't go cheap and miss the mark. Ahhh, nothing says love like a fountain pen.
    Good idea to go to Peyton Street Pens, they have excellent reputation and expertise. It will be a nice present too, the Eversharp Skyline remains a design classic that stands out on any writing desk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Got a Skyline, quite similar, unrestored for $35.

Found a matching pencil elsewhere, so I have a set.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I paid a little more for mine but it was restored, has a factory stub in 14K, and the original price sticker still on the barrel. $70
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

A decade or more back, I accumulated several Eversharp pens because they have nice nibs and are easy to re-sac. The nibs range from slightly soft to soft, but I never happened across what I would call a flexible nib.

That's a problem in definition. "Flexible nibs" were sold as such, and in very small numbers, into the 1940s. The US market, which seems to have been the largest market in the world, wanted harder nibs to write Palmer Method -- the style taught in American schools. Palmer aims at clear writing, quickly laid down and easy to read. It does not aim at penmanship artistry; it was meant for business writing. Some German pen companies sold flexible nibs into the 1950s, now nicknamed "wet noodles". From the 1950s onward, at least in the US, we knew a "flexible" nib as something used in art classes, often in calligraphy, by dip pens. When, about fifteen years ago, interest revived in flexible nibs, we had no continuing contact with flexible nibbed fountain pens, and only a certainty that some famous pens from the 1930s had been flexible, such as some Waterman 52s.

Mostly, we are re-creating what we think a flexible nib would have been long ago.

That's why I said that the Eversharp pens I found had "soft" nibs. They are comfortable, with just the right amount of "give". None of them, though, wanted to write "line variation". Any would have complained if I tried to press enough to spread the tines. Eversharp might have made some Skylines with flexible nibs for the small flex market, and so might Sheaffer and Parker, but the Parker 51 and Sheaffer Triumph nib would have been hard to flex. I suspect that the seller is being accurate when he says that his fine-nib Skyline has a little flex.

Thanks

This is the real way to put the definition FLEXIBLE PENS/ NIBS. I truly agree how some sellers label their pens as Flexible pen and you end up getting a pen that is not flexible as your writing do.
    I found many pens I got expecting them to be too soft as WET NOODLE but they are only soft to be running comfortably over many different quality of papers. That is because I have a very soft hand in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    A decade or more back, I accumulated several Eversharp pens because they have nice nibs and are easy to re-sac. The nibs range from slightly soft to soft, but I never happened across what I would call a flexible nib.

That's a problem in definition. "Flexible nibs" were sold as such, and in very small numbers, into the 1940s. The US market, which seems to have been the largest market in the world, wanted harder nibs to write Palmer Method -- the style taught in American schools. Palmer aims at clear writing, quickly laid down and easy to read. It does not aim at penmanship artistry; it was meant for business writing. Some German pen companies sold flexible nibs into the 1950s, now nicknamed "wet noodles". From the 1950s onward, at least in the US, we knew a "flexible" nib as something used in art classes, often in calligraphy, by dip pens. When, about fifteen years ago, interest revived in flexible nibs, we had no continuing contact with flexible nibbed fountain pens, and only a certainty that some famous pens from the 1930s had been flexible, such as some Waterman 52s.

Mostly, we are re-creating what we think a flexible nib would have been long ago.

That's why I said that the Eversharp pens I found had "soft" nibs. They are comfortable, with just the right amount of "give". None of them, though, wanted to write "line variation". Any would have complained if I tried to press enough to spread the tines. Eversharp might have made some Skylines with flexible nibs for the small flex market, and so might Sheaffer and Parker, but the Parker 51 and Sheaffer Triumph nib would have been hard to flex. I suspect that the seller is being accurate when he says that his fine-nib Skyline has a little flex.

Thanks

If one wants a Wahl pen with a truly flexible nib, I'd suggest looking for a slightly older one with a Personal Point nib so-labeled. The two I have are among my softest, most giving nibs.

I have a couple of other Wahl "Signature" nibs, which are stubby and only offer a bit of springiness. I've seen "Signature" nibs sold as flex nibs before.

My Skylines do not flex at all, although they are nowhere near as stiff as my Personal Point "Manifold" nibs(which are quite thick at the shoulders and are quite difficult to bend even with intentional pressure such as used when adjusting a nib).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Eversharp Skyline

“Personal Point” is not Wahl-Eversharp’s description of nibs, but rather of the early swappable section/nib/feed unit system to enable retailers to easily change nibs (“points”) to provide a more “personal” pen for the customer. They’ll have an aluminum bushing between the section and barrel that may have been easy when new, but eventually corrodes making section removal difficult.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    “Personal Point” is not Wahl-Eversharp’s description of nibs, but rather of the early swappable section/nib/feed unit system to enable retailers to easily change nibs (“points”) to provide a more “personal” pen for the customer. They’ll have an aluminum bushing between the section and barrel that may have been easy when new, but eventually corrodes making section removal difficult.
    Sorry, I realize I phrased that VERY poorly.

Some "Personal Point" nibs are marked "Flexible"-I know you know this Fred as I have a least one-I think two actuallty-that I bought from you. That was what I meant by "so marked"-or "so marked as flexible" I should have said.

Of course most P.P nibs aren't flexible. Find a Manifold and it may as well be a ballpoint as stiffness goes. Find a Signature and you'll get a bit of flex.

For someone who likes flex, though, IMO a PP Flexible nib is a safe bet.