Thread: Removing stuck nib

Thanks

Default Removing stuck nib

I have a broken Pelikan M805. The section broke off from the barrel. I want to remove the nib, but it seems welded in place. I have tried soaking in water (for days, or is that daze?) and it still won't budge. As a last resort, I have thought about cutting it out, but I am afraid I will damage the threads, and obviously I don't want to do that, I want to salvage the nib. Can anyone give me some ideas about freeing up the nib? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Removing stuck nib

Modern pen, right? I thought these were threaded nib units - you don't pull the nib out, it unscrews. Unless I am totally wrong, but that is the case on my M815, which is about 1.5 years old. Unscrews just like a light bulb, as did the Pelikans in the 1950s.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It should unscrew, but if the section has broken off where it meets the barrel then there will be less purchase when trying to unscrew it.
    I would soak it in warm water with dishwashing soap in there and then wrap the broken end in a thick wad of kitchen paper then hold that with a pair of pliers and hopefully the nib and feed will screw out. If it doesn't then two thick wads of kitchen paper and two pairs of pliers might be needed - one on each part - used against each other.
    Good luck with it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Alternatively when I've been trying to unscrew nibs from sections, I've found garden hose or similar (fairly soft type), if it's the right fit for the section, can be quite helpful in giving a bit of extra grip.

Thanks

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, it is a screw-in nib. I have been reluctant to use pliers, but I agree, that may be my last resort. Soaking in dishwasher soap for a day now. I will wait another day, and put some leverage and muscle to it.

Thanks

Sphere, was this a result of damage or did the section break off of its own accord? Because apparently that's a common problem with M8xxs and you might find it's worth asking Pelikan about repair.

As to removing the nib, (even) more patience, less muscle. It's amazing sometimes just how long it can take for the right bit of old ink to finally get wet and give up the fight. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner that can speed up the process.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

No pliers please. The collector fins are easily damaged and crushed, even with padding around them.

If the nib is stuck, a soak will help. Even better is a couple of cycles through an ultrasonic cleaner. Then you can grip it with your fingers and a grippy pad, or towel. Twisting gently back and forth a bit should loosen it and let you unscrew the nib. The soak softens the ink that invariably collects in the section, often in the threads of the bushing,

That section can be reattached by the way. I do an average of 3-5 per month. For some reason the 800s seem to be more vulnerable than the smaller pens. Pelikan doesn't repair. They only replace the barrel.
    Last edited by Ron Z; February 1st, 2021 at 11:58 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 1st, 2021)

Thanks

How about a couple of balloons? Take one to grip the nib & feed and the other on the broken section. Unscrew.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

That might work, but start with the soak. It is possible to break off the tab on the feed that's supposed to keep nib and feed from shifting in the bushing that goes around them, and they they'll shift or pull out of the bushing, leaving it in the section,

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Thannks for all the suggestions. I did get it free after soaking for four days in a solution of water and Dawn. Ron, I will contact you about a repair. Again, thanks to everyone.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

amk (February 5th, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 3rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Good news!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin