Thread: The "3" pens

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 700 Posts

Default Re: The "3" pens

Why would I want to "convert" someone, and persuade them to turn a choice of writing instruments into a hobby? I don't feel any need to persuade people to be interested in the same things that I am.

One coworker saw me using fountain pens a year or two ago and started asking me questions on his own. I gave him a couple of Pilot Varsities to try out, and I think recommended a Pilot Prera or a Lamy Safari, not wanting to persuade him to spend too much. But he saw me using my Pilot Custom Heritage 92, and bought one of those instead. He liked it, and used it for a while, then took it apart out of curiosity and lost a piece.

A while after that, he was talking about getting another pen, so I just gave him my TWSBI Mini, which I'd decided I probably wasn't going to be using very often. And if he wanted to take it apart, it comes with instructions and a special wrench. He thanked me, and for all I know may use it occasionally, but I only see him using ballpoints at work.

I gave a Pilot Metro to someone for her birthday or Christmas, I forget which, but it certainly hasn't gotten her hooked.

A few other people have asked me questions about my pens, most ignore them. If they do show an interest, I let them know that it can be expensive compared to what they're used to, and mention a few models at different price levels. But I doubt that there is any one pen, or any three, that would perfectly suit every new user.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 3rd, 2021), eachan (February 3rd, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 3rd, 2021), Pterodactylus (February 3rd, 2021), Seattleite (February 15th, 2021), TBSDSpaniard (February 5th, 2021)