Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I had a problem with mine and sent it to Mark Bacas. I don't know what he did but he fixed it. I also heard that a fellow pen person from the Lone Star Pen Club had a problem getting hers to write. I don't know what she did to fix it. In both cases, the pen would write, then dry up and stop writing. Mark Bacas's assistant Lisa also had a problem with her pen, which was a piston filler. She had to send the pen back to get the problem resolved. So you might discuss the issue with the person who sold the pen to you.
    Thank you ALL so very much!
    I was considering the purchase of a Leonardo Momento Zero....... but not any longer!!!
    Simply stated, it is not worth the (potential) hassle. There are too many other good alternative choices.

    I'm not sure these few examples of issues here really indicate any larger of a quality control problem within Leonardo compared to any other small manufacturer. Personally, we have a total of 4 Leonardos in the house and none have had any problems. I believe that in general, they are very good, quality pens, but of course, exceptions exist and you could get unlucky. I just think your odds of getting unlucky with a Leonardo are no different than with any other similar manufacturer.

    Good luck either way. I really enjoy my Leonardos. My Momento Zero Grande Art Deco has got to be one my of favorite pens.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlohaPens For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 5th, 2021)

  3. #22
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post
    I'm not sure these few examples of issues here really indicate any larger of a quality control problem within Leonardo compared to any other small manufacturer. Personally, we have a total of 4 Leonardos in the house and none have had any problems. I believe that in general, they are very good, quality pens, but of course, exceptions exist and you could get unlucky. I just think your odds of getting unlucky with a Leonardo are no different than with any other similar manufacturer.
    I'll second this. Anyone who makes a decision about this maker based on the extremely small sample set of a thread like this hasn't done their homework, but their loss. I know people who have *many* Leonardos, as it has become a favorite with people who are collectors (i.e. gimme lotsa pens!) in addition to users. One friend has (just a guess) a couple dozen, has had most of the nibs ground to italics if he didn't get one direct from LOI, and uses them for the most beautiful handwriting. A lovely script to match equally lovely pens.

    I picked up my first MZ on sale from Endless Pens for $99.00 and my MZ Grande in one of Jonathan Brooks unique acrylics was 5 times that. Other pens in between. They all see use, and they are all well-crafted and beautifully finished. I've read of occasional issues, as in this thread, but it is the exception, not the rule, from all I've seen on at least 5 pen forums/groups that have regular LOI chatter.

    Well, heck, I like mine. #5 will be here in March. No one says you have to buy them, but I think they are a good value for a hand-crafted Italian pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  4. #23
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,965
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    A LOI Momento Zero in the Brooks material would be a shoe-in for me, so it's a bit sad that they only use that material for their more expensive pens (the ones with the IMHO terrible design decision to put a metal ring at the end of the section ala Pelikan).

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 215 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post
    I'm not sure these few examples of issues here really indicate any larger of a quality control problem within Leonardo compared to any other small manufacturer. Personally, we have a total of 4 Leonardos in the house and none have had any problems. I believe that in general, they are very good, quality pens, but of course, exceptions exist and you could get unlucky. I just think your odds of getting unlucky with a Leonardo are no different than with any other similar manufacturer.
    "Anyone who makes a decision about this maker based on the extremely small sample set of a thread like this hasn't done their homework, but their loss."
    Why are you so obsessed with always making such obnoxious, abrasive and offensive comments....... especially when they are incorrect?

    I've done plenty of homework, thank you very much. Yes, the many pen forums with "regular LOI chatter" do have lots of pretty photos but there are also plenty of objective / descriptive comments from people who actually do know what they are talking about. And, not all of them would agree with you.

    Fine, I understand that you have purchased several of the Leonardo pens but what makes your anecdotes right and anyone else's wrong unless they agree with yours??

  6. #25
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Why are you so obsessed with always making such obnoxious, abrasive and offensive comments....... especially when they are incorrect? I've done plenty of homework, thank you very much.
    I was responding to AlohaPens' comment. I did not see that you had written in the thread. There was no offense sent in my comments, only my perspective on the matter of a small maker based on extensive online discussion, speaking with retailers, and even communication with the makers themselves. My point, which anyone can see, is that a small data set - which is what this thread is - should not be solely used to judge a situation regarding the manufacturing quality of an object.

    I stand by what I posted. I'm sorry that you are upset by a differing perspective.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; February 6th, 2021 at 12:02 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    Ole Juul (February 6th, 2021), Yazeh (February 6th, 2021)

  8. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 215 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Why are you so obsessed with always making such obnoxious, abrasive and offensive comments....... especially when they are incorrect? I've done plenty of homework, thank you very much.
    I stand by what I posted. I'm sorry that you are upset by a differing perspective.
    If I was upset by a "differing perspective" I would have commented upon AlohaPens' post. But I did not because I thought it was an excellent, constructive and collegial post.

    Your post added nothing other than an intentional and specifically directed insult......... which you are now trying to disavow.

    I, too, stand by what I posted.

  9. #27
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Your post added nothing other than an intentional and specifically directed insult......... which you are now trying to disavow.
    Not at all. If you are upset by the statement regarding using only THIS thread to determine the build quality of a company's entire output, I'm not sure what to say. I hate to see people miss out on a nice pen because of a couple of reported issues, but the fact remains that this thread - which is all I commented on - is too small a sampling to make that decision in a wise and considered manner. Of course, a person could do so if they choose and I think it would be unfortunate, but only their loss, not mine.

    I still believe this, and it isn't pointed at you or anyone in particular. As such, there isn't any reason at all to take it personally.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  10. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 215 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Your post added nothing other than an intentional and specifically directed insult......... which you are now trying to disavow.
    Not at all. If you are upset by the statement regarding using only THIS thread to determine the build quality of a company's entire output, I'm not sure what to say. I hate to see people miss out on a nice pen because of a couple of reported issues, but the fact remains that this thread - which is all I commented on - is too small a sampling to make that decision in a wise and considered manner. Of course, a person could do so if they choose and I think it would be unfortunate, but only their loss, not mine.

    I still believe this, and it isn't pointed at you or anyone in particular. As such, there isn't any reason at all to take it personally.
    When it comes to this kind of issue virtually everything, including your own experience, is anecdotal. But, if as you say, one "does their homework," the anecdotes do tend to add up into something which may actually reflect a legitimate concern. Here is just a tiny sample of such anecdotes, easily collated via a quick Internet search. I believe you will find these links include posts from most all of what you have characterized as the "5 pen forums/groups that have regular LOI chatter." The experience and opinions in these posts are every bit as legitimate as are yours.

    https://www.pencilcaseblog.com/2018/...-italiana.html

    https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...ality_control/

    https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...zero-skipping/

    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...a-Momento-Zero

    http://www.gourmetpens.com/2019/11/l...l#.YB64_bBKiUk

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 6th, 2021)

  12. #29
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Thank you for that. Some of those I had already seen, some not. In no place in my comments did I even remotely suggest that anyone else's experiences were illegitimate, and once again, I was only referring to the concept of reading only this thread to make a decision.

    Even with those comments, and especially in light of the fact that many of those were during earlier days of production, the number of reported issues is still relatively small compared to the number of people who have been very pleased with their pens. I understand: it is up to each person as to how they will spend their money, and these reports of problems with nibs or dry-out may scare them off from these pens. So be it.

    All the above post did, though, was reinforce my suggestion that individuals need to do their own due diligence when purchasing a pen without the benefit of trying it out (at a B&M store). There are plenty of people willing to write about their pen purchases, both positive and negative. The Internet is a wonderful place for people to bitch about problems and we have our share of "pen Karens", yet a dispassionate reading of a lot of sources will give you enough information to make a comfortable decision. I think you are comfortable with yours, and that is all that matters.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (February 6th, 2021)

  14. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 215 Times in 115 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thank you for that. Some of those I had already seen, some not. In no place in my comments did I even remotely suggest that anyone else's experiences were illegitimate, and once again, I was only referring to the concept of reading only this thread to make a decision.

    Even with those comments, and especially in light of the fact that many of those were during earlier days of production, the number of reported issues is still relatively small compared to the number of people who have been very pleased with their pens. I understand: it is up to each person as to how they will spend their money, and these reports of problems with nibs or dry-out may scare them off from these pens. So be it.

    All the above post did, though, was reinforce my suggestion that individuals need to do their own due diligence when purchasing a pen without the benefit of trying it out (at a B&M store). There are plenty of people willing to write about their pen purchases, both positive and negative. The Internet is a wonderful place for people to bitch about problems and we have our share of "pen Karens", yet a dispassionate reading of a lot of sources will give you enough information to make a comfortable decision. I think you are comfortable with yours, and that is all that matters.
    I think we are in a far better place now and have found some much needed "common ground."

    My concern with the glowing reports on this manufacturer's pens is that many of them either come from people who are selling them or are found on those seller's web sites. I realize that you are not selling them and your high regard of these pens is genuine. (So high, in fact, you may have lost your ability to be objective about them.) When one pulls out all the positive reviews which come from sources which have a clear conflict of interest, I think the "relatively small" number of reported issues.... which you believe exist....... is no longer a "relatively small" number. But, that's just my opinion.

    As you have said, and I agree, we are both comfortable with our due diligence based decisions.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 6th, 2021)

  16. #31
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I think we are in a far better place now and have found some much needed "common ground."
    I like this a lot, and appreciate you saying so. Let's both build on this moment for better times and communication in the future. The bottom line is that we both enjoy pens and want others to enjoy them as well.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (February 6th, 2021)

  18. #32
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,073
    Thanks
    7,055
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Perhaps that is inevitable given society's adoption of FOMO
    This is a topic worthy of it's own thread. We have arrived at a point in both society and in a resurgent fountain pen world, where there is a mania that has not been apparent for, at best, a long time. In watching many communities, especially of younger members, the FOMO factor is huge and is driving the manufacture of such items as low-number inventory, special materials pens. Many issues. Should I start a thread? (I fear more labeling as the resident curmudgeon!)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  19. #33
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,181
    Thanks
    5,119
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 908 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post
    I'm not sure these few examples of issues here really indicate any larger of a quality control problem within Leonardo compared to any other small manufacturer. Personally, we have a total of 4 Leonardos in the house and none have had any problems. I believe that in general, they are very good, quality pens, but of course, exceptions exist and you could get unlucky. I just think your odds of getting unlucky with a Leonardo are no different than with any other similar manufacturer.
    "Anyone who makes a decision about this maker based on the extremely small sample set of a thread like this hasn't done their homework, but their loss."
    Why are you so obsessed with always making such obnoxious, abrasive and offensive comments....... especially when they are incorrect?

    I've done plenty of homework, thank you very much. Yes, the many pen forums with "regular LOI chatter" do have lots of pretty photos but there are also plenty of objective / descriptive comments from people who actually do know what they are talking about. And, not all of them would agree with you.

    Fine, I understand that you have purchased several of the Leonardo pens but what makes your anecdotes right and anyone else's wrong unless they agree with yours??
    Hi, I just wanted to say that once the issue with "drying up" was solved, my pen has performed very well and I use it quite regularly. Even after buying the Leonardo Memento Zero, I bought second-hand a Furore, and it's been just fine. So please don't use my one-off problem as an example of bigger problems. I have friends who have several of these and never had an issue. I would just recommend buying them from a dealer wherever you are. I would recommend Kirk Speer or Pen Chalet. I've had good experiences with them.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (May 20th, 2022), Jon Szanto (February 6th, 2021)

  21. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Alright so thinking of taking a shot at trying to better seal the cap myself. Any recommendations on a celluloid safe epoxy or sealant that I should use inside the cap liner?

  22. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Just wondering about safe epoxy also. I have a my Leonard for over a year. Same problem. Bought it with a B nib. Put in a replace M nib, same issue. I own about 40 pens of various brands and quality. Never had to work through this issue before.

  23. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Maybe it's a problem with your feed. Isn't it made of the ebonite? If I were in your position, I'd ask Leonardo pens about this problem. They respond well to the dm on Instagram. They are quite kind.

  24. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Lima
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Leonardo Momento Zero Hard Starts after being capped

    Hi.
    Has anyone checked if there is a gap (inside or outside) between the clip's insertion point and the cap? Maybe there's a crack in the cap or the clip is not well attached and air is passing through.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •