Thread: Can This Noodler's Black Be Saved?

Thanks

Question Can This Noodler's Black Be Saved?

I bought this bottle of Noodler's Bulletproof Black back in 2006 I think. I haven't used it very much after discovering Heart of Darkness not long after 2006. As you can see, the bottom half of the bottle is pigment and above it not quite a half is water I think. I guess roughly 2/3 pigment and 1/3 water.

Can this ink be saved? If I shake it, it is all black, but the ink seems to be too thick. I bought a Noodler's Boston Safety Pen just for this ink so I can shake it then use it. A lot of times, I am writing and then the nib goes dry. I don't think it is the pen, but the ink being too thick that is causing this.

MVIMG_20210206_000504.jpgMVIMG_20210206_000501.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Can This Noodler's Black Be Saved?

This doesn’t look good.

You already shook it but the components don‘t stay in suspension, it separates again.
    So for me this would be a clear case to just dump it into the bin, not much is lost.

In general when ink evaporates over time but is otherwise ok you normally can add water to thin it again and compensate what’s lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

The components in the ink have broken down, due to time, light exposure, something. It simply isn't worth it - just get a new bottle of good ink.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Alright. Down the drain it will go but at least I can reuse the glass bottle. Thanks for the honest answers guys.
    Noodler's Inks in Noodler's Ahab Pens are my favorite.