Thread: Thomas Wolfe

Thanks

Default Thomas Wolfe

Thomas Wolfe, one of America's most celebrated authors was born and buried in Asheville, NC. His best known book, Look Homeward Angel is based on his childhood in Asheville, where his mother ran a boarding house. Visiting his grave in Riverside Cemetery, there is a flower urn that is always filled with various ball point pens, markers, and occasionally a pencil. I was wondering if anyone knows what Wolfe used to when he was writing? Since he couldn't have used a ballpoint, I was wondering if he used a fountain pen, pencil, or typewriter when working on his manuscripts. If he used a fountain pen, would anyone know what brand?

Thanks

Default Re: Thomas Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Thomas Wolfe, one of America's most celebrated authors was born and buried in Asheville, NC. His best known book, Look Homeward Angel is based on his childhood in Asheville, where his mother ran a boarding house. Visiting his grave in Riverside Cemetery, there is a flower urn that is always filled with various ball point pens, markers, and occasionally a pencil. I was wondering if anyone knows what Wolfe used to when he was writing? Since he couldn't have used a ballpoint, I was wondering if he used a fountain pen, pencil, or typewriter when working on his manuscripts. If he used a fountain pen, would anyone know what brand?
    From https://thomaswolfe.org/about-thomas...mon-questions/
    Q: What was his work style for writing all those books?
    A: Wolfe did not use a typewriter. Every word he wrote was written in longhand. He owned a typewriter but did not use it. He favored pencils over pens. He used ledger books to write in while working on his first novel. There are several legends about Wolfe. One of those is that he wrote standing up beside a refrigerator, using the top of the refrigerator as a desk.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (February 10th, 2021), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Thomas Wolfe

That is fascinating. Thank you Sandy.