Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capless Pens

Thanks

Default Capless Pens

I’m trying to get a better view of the capless pen market. Obviously I know of the main three; vanishing point, dialog, and that one by platinum. But there has to be more than just three. Also, I’ve noticed there’s a few vanishing point models as well. Any info or list of their entire line up? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Capless Pens

I believe those are still the main three. Over the years there have been occasional attempts - there was a really weird looking Italian pen whose name escapes me at the moment - but I believe it's the three. The recent Plat pen is called the Curidas (check spelling).

As to "models" of VP, I'm not certain if you are referring to the two main lines - Vanishing Point and Decimo? As to the finishes offered in those two, it is getting to be endless, with quite a few exclusive models either as limited editions or specific to a particular retailer.

For the VP, you might find the following page of interest, from Carmen Rivera, a noted seller of vintage pens and long-time VP person:

Vanishing Point History
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Aurora Asterope

Visconti Pininfarina

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 8th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 8th, 2021), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023), spencerwilli (February 8th, 2021), Yazeh (February 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Stipula might still make small runs of the Da Vinci--capless pen with section below clip. Never tried one, but they are striking.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I believe those are still the main three. Over the years there have been occasional attempts - there was a really weird looking Italian pen whose name escapes me at the moment - but I believe it's the three. The recent Plat pen is called the Curidas (check spelling).

As to "models" of VP, I'm not certain if you are referring to the two main lines - Vanishing Point and Decimo? As to the finishes offered in those two, it is getting to be endless, with quite a few exclusive models either as limited editions or specific to a particular retailer.

For the VP, you might find the following page of interest, from Carmen Rivera, a noted seller of vintage pens and long-time VP person:

Vanishing Point History
    This weird?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 10th, 2023), Jon Szanto (February 8th, 2021), spencerwilli (February 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Visconti Pininfarina
    Thanks, Cat, that was the one I was trying to think of. Wasn't aware of the Aurora!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    This weird?
    Hah! Nope, not the one that I was thinking of, but man... those crazy Italians! Thanks.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

catbert that Asterope video is amazing. I've never seen one in person--and have always wanted to--and had no idea they made such a sonic statement as much as a visual one!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    catbert that Asterope video is amazing. I've never seen one in person--and have always wanted to--and had no idea they made such a sonic statement as much as a visual one!
    Once seen/heard, never forgotten.

From the same YouTube channel, a pen with two retractable nibs (sadly not capless).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 8th, 2021), spencerwilli (February 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Also the Montblanc Boheme (out of production but findable) and Visconti Pininfarina — the Pininfarina is quite pricey (in the vicinity of $1,800!); the Boheme can be found as low as $400 if you take your time and want to spend that much. Also Pilot makes a twistable one called the Fermo which is reasonably priced if you can find it.

Thanks

I thought about the Boheme but the original ask was for "capless", which seems a tiny step beyond "retractable".

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I think pilot has two different Vanishing point pens, the decimo is the one that most people talk about and is the click pen. They also have the fermo which I believe is twist operated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerlmasta View Post
    I think pilot has two different Vanishing point pens, the decimo is the one that most people talk about and is the click pen. They also have the fermo which I believe is twist operated.
    The Decimos is a smaller version of the actual Vanishing Point. If those are counted as two pens, the Fermo makes three (and I was unaware of it!).

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Not sure if the Fermo has been discontinued. The LS combines a nock and twist mechanism, aiming to be the anti-Asterope — completely silent.

There's also the Nautilus by Marc Newson for Hermès, which is presumably a Fermo at heart.

Thanks

Also the Lamy Dialog 3, which is as sleek and modern a pen as any German engineer could ever wish for. I'm only the daughter of an American engineer, and I love this pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

I thought about the Boheme but the original ask was for "capless", which seems a tiny step beyond "retractable".
    I was thinking about this the other day. The Boheme really is a takeoff of a safety pen VS a retractable like a Pilot because you have to put the cap back on. Great pens though.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. The Boheme really is a takeoff of a safety pen VS a retractable like a Pilot because you have to put the cap back on. Great pens though.
    Yea I have the larger Boheme and I love it, but you can’t really carry it with the nib retracted and the cap screwed onto the back of the pen because the nib will dry out and ink can splatter. But a cool pen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Stumbled across this one: Fosfor Iris.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

There are probably other Chinese copycats but I stumbled on this one from the 80's while looking at vintage Russian pens. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dag....m46890.l49286

I don't think I will shell out the money for it since the real thing is pretty close to the same price but thought it was interesting.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; May 9th, 2021 at 10:26 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

The Decimos is a scaled-down variant of the Vanishing Point. If those are considered two pens, the Fermo totals three.