Slightly controversial post - hardly a surprise for me I suppose.

Anyway, I was looking at urushi covered pens made by various pensmiths, and was struck with a thought that may be construed as unworthy, but perhaps worth asking about nonetheless.

Urushi pens are, I'm guessing, an original art form produced by Japanese craftsmen (correct me if this is in error), to the extent that the mere mention of urushi itself makes most people (who have heard of it) think of the Japanese connection.

Does that connection lend a greater cachet to the finished article? I've thought about this, and believe that if I was to spend several hundred dollars on an urushi pen, it would almost certainly be from a Japanese maker. That's not to say that other pensmiths are not as skilled at making pens or applying urushi, but they do not have that historic or cultural connection.

I guess this sounds like an unfair approach to a purchase? And although I hold to the idea that cultural appropriation that doesn't involve disrespect is okay, this bias remains for me, and perhaps others.

It seems to me that this bias can exist wherever there is a perceived association of quality with a particular group. French wines for example, even though many great wines are produced elsewhere.

Note: This is not about copying.