Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCREWED by eBay!!!!

Thanks

Default Re: SCREWED by eBay!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    You should come to my post office. They know me by name, I have a PO Box and they ask to see my drivers license when I sign for a package, which is every package I get with or without signature required.
    Holy smokes!! That's beautiful!!
    THAT is the kind of security and customer service I'm looking for!!!
    Friggin awesome!!!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Also here in my area you can’t take signature required seriously.

Often they do not ask for a signature and even when they ask often their touch screens are that bad that you hardly can make a single stroke on it.
    Additionally at least since Covid (but also before) nobody gives you a Touchscreen pen.
    So reality is even in the rare cases when somebody holds his touch device in front of you they hardly get more than 1 or 2 lines with the bare finger (in such cases always wash your hands carefully as you don’t know who put his finger on it before).
    Nobody will ever be able to identify a signature on it (my assumption is that they add the obligatory line most of the time themselves.... as it does not matter, it‘s always just an unidentifiable stroke or two)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    At least half a million Americans have died from Covid — and that’s only the ones we know about. 0 Americans died from shoe or underwear bombing , and yet decades later, people are religiously removing their shoes and going through machines that look under their clothes. Maybe fewer would have died from Covid if Americans had taken it as seriously.

Anyway, Signature Confirmation has always been a joke in New York. Either they just give you the salmon card without attempting a delivery, forcing you to go to the post office, or they simply throw the parcel in with the rest and ignore that it needs a signature.

My carrier once blew off the signature requirement and left a parcel containing an MB 149 with the rest of the mail for the building. He never scanned it delivered either, so i kept waiting for it, not expecting it to be delivered on a holiday. Meanwhile one of my neighbors made off with the parcel.

I’ve had other sign-for parcels go AWOL. Sometimes i think the Signature Confirmation label is a steal-me sticker.
    I think that USPS, FedEx and others have turned signature confirmation into a farce. In the last week I have received packages where the shippers' have paid good money for signature confirmation and both were just left at my front door. No doorbell, no knock, no attempt to hand it over personally....nothing. On the USPS & FedEx tracking sites both indicated the packages were signed for one had the signature "T. Rex" and the other was "Vvvvv Hhhhhh." Shameful.

When Amazon delivers they always e-mail a photo of the package at the door. This is not sophisticated or exclusive technology.

I think if someone pays for signature confirmation then USPS or FedEx should insist that it be personally handed over to the intended recipient and not just left with their driver's cute spin on a signature. And, why not a photo made of the package sitting in the hands of the recipient. The photo does not have to show their face or any other distinguishing features other than maybe their hands, shirt cuff, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Everything in this country is a complete rip-off since covid.
    I paid $40 extra to get my nib back to me via fedex 2-day from california/customnibstudio (I knew it wouldn't be 2 days...it's america) and it's been almost 2 weeks now.
    I could have saved the money and gone with crappy USPS for this much waiting.
    Of course, they added a disclaimer on their website stating that it was all due to "Bad weather conditions".
    It's been 60+ in the south for the past 4 days...wheres my stuff!?
    Buncha friggin crooks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Everything in this country is a complete rip-off since covid.
    I paid $40 extra to get my nib back to me via fedex 2-day from california/customnibstudio (I knew it wouldn't be 2 days...it's america) and it's been almost 2 weeks now.
    I could have saved the money and gone with crappy USPS for this much waiting.
    Of course, they added a disclaimer on their website stating that it was all due to "Bad weather conditions".
    It's been 60+ in the south for the past 4 days...wheres my stuff!?
    Buncha friggin crooks...
    Agree!
    And FedEx has been the worst offender.
    Paid mega bucks for overnight Saturday delivery of an important, time sensitive document. Weather in departure city, delivery city and Memphis all perfect. No weather issues anywhere. Took them six (6) days and they refused to refund a penny. Why? "No refunds during Covid, sorry!"

Covid has been truly awful. No doubt. But the way some companies are taking advantage of it and using it as a cover for their sloppy, shoddy unacceptable practices is just a sin.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 24th, 2021), spencerwilli (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

None of the parcel delivery outfits have — or even want to have — the number of workers required to get signatures. That eats into profits that could go in to some rich guy’s pockets. As for USPS, it is ostensibly run like the others, i.e., “as a business “ — which it isn’t.

Thanks

I opened up a claim case with FedEx, they're going to ride the Memphis, TN depot like a donkey until my package arrives.
    Or at least, that's what they say they'll be doing...

Thanks

I opened up a claim case with FedEx, they're going to ride the Memphis, TN depot like a donkey until my package arrives.
    Or at least, that's what they say they'll be doing...
    Talking to the FedEx customer service agents is like talking to eBay's. Every call is like it is the first call and you must begin at the beginning. No one reads whatever, if any, documentation exists from the prior calls and far too often there is a severe language barrier. You get unending apologies and promises but none of it ever translates into any substantive action or progress.

And, to @guyy's point, some rich guys' pockets are singing "cha-ching" all the while!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I have bad experience buying a pen plus I lost a great opportunity to buy that wonderful pen. A Waterman 57 pen with that famous PINK nib. I won the pen for $300 and seller send me the through UPS with an insurance.
    The pen never reached me in time but the tracking details gave me it was in the warehouse on a hold for custom clearance but from neither side could give me any resolution for two and a half month. The package seems to be returning from the local depot back to USA.
    EBay did not do anything. They were just making time .Seller seems to be ignoring the deal. My open case just dragged for months..after about two and a half month,I had to do an appeal through PAYPAl to get my money back.
    At last got a full refund from the seller but ultimately I got money and about £85 deduction as Pay pal charges.
    There after I avoid buying anything from USA That involves UPS. The UPS service in UK is the most expensive crappy postal service ever. Sorry I had so may bad experience with them.
    Last edited by Cyril; February 25th, 2021 at 07:57 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I have bad experience buying a pen plus I lost a great opportunity to buy that wonderful pen. A Waterman 57 pen with that famous PINK nib. I won the pen for $300 and seller send me the through UPS with an insurance.
    The pen never reached me in time but the tracking details gave me it was in the warehouse on a hold for custom clearance but from neither side could give me any resolution for two and a half month. The package seems to be returning from the local depot back to USA.
    EBay did not do anything. They were just making time .Seller seems to be ignoring the deal. My open case just dragged for months..after about two and a half month,I had to do an appeal through PAYPAl to get my money back.
    At last got a full refund from the seller but ultimately I got money and about £85 deduction as Pay pal charges.
    There after I avoid buying anything from USA That involves UPS. The UPS service in UK is the most expensive crappy postal service ever. Sorry I had so may bad experience with them.
    Wow, that is horrible. I am glad that you got most of your money back though. The pain of not ever getting the pen you were waiting for really stinks!!
    I know that pain.

I think I am done with paying for services outside of a driveable range. Every time I send anything off to a nibmeister to be worked on I get screwed over.
    The first time was washington state and I didn't get my pen back for months and the guy didn't even fix it.
    Now I send my stuff off to a known professional in california with a good name that's widely circulated...and the delivery system loses my pen.
    I'm done with this crap. I will just get an FPR Gold flex Nib and do the modifications myself.
    Spending tons of money and trusting strangers to do what they say is a guarantee you will get screwed over.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Spending tons of money and trusting strangers to do what they say is a guarantee you will get screwed over.
    No, it isn't.

I feel very badly that these things have happened... at least those two incidents. On the other hand, you purchased a pen from me, I sent it through the very same mail system and you got the pen. I regularly do business with many people not nearby, and in many years have only had a couple of issues.

You have to do what you feel is right, but all this stuff about guarantees of being screwed over... nah. Lots of variables in life, and they aren't all negative. Our transaction is proof of that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    No, it isn't.

I feel very badly that these things have happened... at least those two incidents. On the other hand, you purchased a pen from me, I sent it through the very same mail system and you got the pen. I regularly do business with many people not nearby, and in many years have only had a couple of issues.

You have to do what you feel is right, but all this stuff about guarantees of being screwed over... nah. Lots of variables in life, and they aren't all negative. Our transaction is proof of that.
    You are an awesome being Jon. There are others out there that are good people too...of that, i'm sure.
    It's these institutions that fail.
    Usps, FedEx...big businesses with no feeling or heart.
    No impetus to live up to their business model or even do what they're supposedly in business to do!

I'm coming unwound again...
    Maybe I just need to take a step back for a few months and only do business with people and businesses I know and have dealt with before.
    Or just stick to doing things myself again.
    No new faces...even if they're supposedly renowned professionals...no falling for it.
    I could have bought so many pens with that $300 dollars...

Thanks

DMan, I know that moments like this really hurt and I don't want to minimize the loss for you, both financial and emotional.

Just take some breaths and a few steps back, as you already say. You may have used up your Universal Quota of Bad Karma already and everything will be on the upside from here on out. Just keep in mind that the vast majority of people you are involved in - from the nib person through most of the low-level people in the trenches of the USPS and elsewhere - are trying to do their best. I don't want to veer into politics, but DeJoy is a dumpster fire of a trainwreck and we're seeing more issues there than we have in years. Let's just hope it gets sorted out soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the pens you have and plan for the future. You aren't done yet!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 26th, 2021)

Thanks

DMan, I know that moments like this really hurt and I don't want to minimize the loss for you, both financial and emotional.

Just take some breaths and a few steps back, as you already say. You may have used up your Universal Quota of Bad Karma already and everything will be on the upside from here on out. Just keep in mind that the vast majority of people you are involved in - from the nib person through most of the low-level people in the trenches of the USPS and elsewhere - are trying to do their best. I don't want to veer into politics, but DeJoy is a dumpster fire of a trainwreck and we're seeing more issues there than we have in years. Let's just hope it gets sorted out soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the pens you have and plan for the future. You aren't done yet!
    This expression of empathy is a nice touch for a fellow Geek who is hurting and I agree 100% with the observation that the people in the trenches are doing there best.

But, to not acknowledge the ubiquitous and inexcusable lapses in quality, customer service and expected minimal performance is beyond naïve.
    And, to blame Dejoy is just a ridiculous way to try and make it all Trump's fault.....which it is not.

My most recent experience with FedEx's dismal, pathetic service was corrected by the USPS. They totally outperformed FedEx and saved my butt in the process. Yes, it is an anecdote, I know. But, we all have them and in the aggregate they add up to way too many........ It has become more common than not to expect that a company will somehow find a way to blame Covid for their abysmal performance. The Covid card is being way overplayed.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 26th, 2021), dneal (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks

My friend, thank you. I feel encouraged!
    I am going to the woods this weekend to let go and come back refreshed and in a better place.
    Again, thank you.
    It will get better, I just have to stick around to enjoy it!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 26th, 2021)

Thanks

No, it isn't.

You are an awesome being Jon. There are others out there that are good people too...of that, i'm sure.
    It's these institutions that fail.
    Usps, FedEx...big businesses with no feeling or heart.
    No impetus to live up to their business model or even do what they're supposedly in business to do!

I'm coming unwound again...
    Maybe I just need to take a step back for a few months and only do business with people and businesses I know and have dealt with before.
    Or just stick to doing things myself again.
    No new faces...even if they're supposedly renowned professionals...no falling for it.
    I could have bought so many pens with that $300 dollars...
    Perhaps there are other issues and it's with you. We are all responsible for making decisions.

Thanks

I am going to the woods this weekend to let go and come back refreshed and in a better place.
    Again, thank you. It will get better, I just have to stick around to enjoy it!
    A beautiful idea - it will be a good thing, no matter what else happens. This is a very common piece, but I still find it apropos:

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Wow, that is horrible. I am glad that you got most of your money back though. The pain of not ever getting the pen you were waiting for really stinks!!
    I know that pain.

I think I am done with paying for services outside of a driveable range. Every time I send anything off to a nibmeister to be worked on I get screwed over.
    The first time was washington state and I didn't get my pen back for months and the guy didn't even fix it.
    Now I send my stuff off to a known professional in california with a good name that's widely circulated...and the delivery system loses my pen.
    I'm done with this crap. I will just get an FPR Gold flex Nib and do the modifications myself.
    This is a most unfortunate side of this hobby. I guess that, because most of my experiences over the years have been positive (I do my own work), I don't sweat the occasional encounter with a dead-beat. I can see how starting out with a string of crappy interactions can be discouraging. I am confident that building knowledge the way that you are will improve your batting average such that the positives will outweigh the negatives as you move forward.

Bob

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Mirrors my experience. Getting back into FPs, and situated far from physical markets, I only had eBay as a resource. My mistake was to assume sellers were all honourable. However, time revealed this not to be the case, but I did not notice at first because I was unsure of what to expect from the vintage pen market (which is what I was buying into back then). Consequently, I was burned repeatedly by either deliberately unscrupulous sellers or those that didn't know any more than I did. The result was to narrow down potential sellers only to those I had good dealings with, 100% positive views, or were recommended by someone I trusted. The whole experience was expensive (to me) and quite, quite discouraging. Buying through forum sites was a much better experience overall.

There is also another group of sellers I avoid on eBay, and it's those with good reputations who seem to be followed incessantly by people with more money than sense. I've bought from those sellers, and beyond (sometimes) a limited guarantee, the pens were not in anyway special compared with what could be found elsewhere. Inevitably perfectly ordinary pens get bid up way above-market prices. It's nuts IMO.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 4th, 2021), Detman101 (February 27th, 2021), Ole Juul (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Ebay is definitely a crap shoot, but sometimes you can strike lucky. I like to arrange auction listings by "ending soonest," and sometimes I've found pens I wanted that for whatever reason had no bids or only one very low one, and i'd sneak in a lowball bid at the last minute and sometimes win. Another useful trick I found was to do an advanced search and select "sold items," and that way I could see what a certain type of pen has been going for. If I see that one has routinely been selling in the $30-$40 range and the the bidding has gone up to $75, or the seller is asking something like that, I'd know to pass on it.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 5th, 2021)