Thanks

Default Fountain Pens boost self esteem

Fountain pens are suggested to boost self esteem in Scottish schools

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/6143844.stm

An oldish news article but still relevant

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pens boost self esteem

So true... Fountain pen teaches you control....

Thanks

"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
    That he didn't, didn't already have"
    Tin Man-America

Thanks

There are quite a number of takeaway points from the article. Not the least are:
    '"We think children deserve to be able to show their work neatly. We think children need to be literate and numerate and the way society is now we have to work harder. The role modelling is not always there, so they need it in school."'
    'The Headteachers' Association of Scotland believes handwriting basic skills should be taught as a "priority" as soon as children begin primary school.'

It reminded me of a comment made by Rosemary Sassoon in one of her books that in the late 19th Century it was a common occurrence that children were taught at home to read and write (and were functionally literate) as young as age 4 and 5. She also made note of a progression from slate and chalk, to pencil and paper, to pen, ink and paper.

It's just my opinion mind you, but it would seem society as a whole may have taken a few steps backwards in the last one hundred plus years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    So true... Fountain pen teaches you control....
    Absolutely.

Moreover, repairing a pen, especially one that doesn't want to be repaired, will bring you to a breaking point... either of the pen itself, or your patience.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 11th, 2021), Yazeh (February 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ... It's just my opinion mind you, but it would seem society as a whole may have taken a few steps backwards in the last one hundred plus years.
    In my opinion there has been a shift to recreation and playing as a dominant activity. Doing things that are productive or useful is no longer considered enjoyable, or even desirable. I've seen 40 year olds playing games nowadays. My parents, let alone my grandparents, would not have been able to comprehend that. Yet, they had a lot of enjoyment in their lives.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 12th, 2021), VertOlive (February 11th, 2021), Yazeh (February 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    ... It's just my opinion mind you, but it would seem society as a whole may have taken a few steps backwards in the last one hundred plus years.
    In my opinion there has been a shift to recreation and playing as a dominant activity. Doing things that are productive or useful is no longer considered enjoyable, or even desirable. I've seen 40 year olds playing games nowadays. My parents, let alone my grandparents, would not have been able to comprehend that. Yet, they had a lot of enjoyment in their lives.
    I cannot agree. We tend to veiw our back yard and consider it representative of the entire society. Give a child the opportunity to help and do someting useful. You might be surprised. I think there is a good arguement that learning involves failure as well as success. This means parents and teachers must allow failure as part of the processes. However, failure must be within a safe environment. In other words, you don't teach a child to ride a bicycle at the top of an incline. You put them in the grass that is level. So, you do not take away natural curiosity of learning and putting what you've learnd into practice.

Since I am becomeing a part of the senior community, I have noticed that some older men no longer are interested in learning not only to be different, but consider they may have been wrong or unaware. Couple this with fear and you have a recipe for becomeing cyncial and angry. Too much anger and soon you have anarchy. What I am saying is that the problem is not with the young. but the older folks.

What we should be teaching is kindness, respect for each other, respect for learning, respect of science and those that do it whether we individually always do it or not. That I am unkind does not render being kind unimportant. And, if you're not in a community of kindness and respect, every age group suffers.

Thanks

Interesting, as my parents' and grandparents' generations were game players: cribbage, checkers, rummy, bridge, horseshoes, tiddlywinks, hearts, canasta, euchre, etc.

Thanks

Oh, just found and purchased a wooden checkers board.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post

Interesting, as my parents' and grandparents' generations were game players: cribbage, checkers, rummy, bridge, horseshoes, tiddlywinks, hearts, canasta, euchre, etc.
    And also mine, my mother told me that I learned to count with playing cards.

I was surprised on becoming an adult to learn that other children did not spend their wet Sunday afternoons playing crib, rummy, canasta and dominoes with the parents and grandparents.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

...It's just my opinion mind you, but it would seem society as a whole may have taken a few steps backwards in the last one hundred plus years.
    You're living up to your name 😉

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    ...It's just my opinion mind you, but it would seem society as a whole may have taken a few steps backwards in the last one hundred plus years.
    You're living up to your name 😉
    I try my best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    You left out whist and poker.

I remember my 'oldies' and other adult family members playing penny ante poker on a Friday night.