Thread: Fear of the Dip Pen Nib!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Fear of the Dip Pen Nib!

When I was in school (a very long time ago) we wrote with pencils at first. Then, at the age of seven, we were introduced to the joy of writing with a dip pen. I didn't do well with that! Perhaps my touch was too heavy. In any case, the nib, which was very pointed, would dig into the paper and send a spray of blots across the page.

Our teacher, who had been trained in the School of Sadism, indicated her displeasure with a crack across the knuckles with the edge of a ruler. My hand, now paralysed with pain, did not do a better job. The result was that any mention of dip pens brought on an attack of post-traumatic stress, to this very day!

Some time ago I bought a charming little wooden pen box which held a somewhat chewed dip pen and a tiny wooden box of nibs, some used, others in an unused condition. I of course put them away and tried not to think of them again.

This afternoon, fortified with a couple of stiff drams of Laphroaig, I daringly attached one of the nibs - an Esterbrook Relief - to the holder and found, to my great surprise, that I could actually write with the thing. There were some very pointed nibs too, and with great daring, I tried one of those. In the absence of Mrs. Stuart and her punishment ruler, I was able to apply a very light touch and found that I could write with this delightfully flexible nib too. The experience has been cathartic and I have, at the age of 70, been able to banish the ghost of my hideous old teacher who made my life such a misery when I was seven. May she rest in peace.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (July 1st, 2021), azkid (February 15th, 2021), carlos.q (February 14th, 2021), Chrissy (February 15th, 2021), Detman101 (February 15th, 2021), dneal (February 14th, 2021), guyy (February 14th, 2021), jbb (February 14th, 2021), manoeuver (February 15th, 2021), penwash (February 15th, 2021), Pterodactylus (February 14th, 2021), thi (February 14th, 2021)