Thread: eversharp Bantam pencil repair

Thanks

Default eversharp Bantam pencil repair

New to forum and would appreciate any information which may help me restore a ~1939 Eversharp Bantam pencil/pen set which I'm trying to restore. I'm not sure how the pencil mechanism works and don't want to damage it by trying to force. The gold tip seems to unscrew about 180degrees before stopping. The section seperated by the gold band midway up barrel won't budge. Any recommendations?

Also, I am trying same with a Scheaffer Balance pencil (has a ring top). Lower section rotates and mechanism operates. Unsure if it is designed to have the top section remove to load lead or only through loading at tip? There is a small (~1mm) gap approx. 4mm below gold ring on barrel which does not appear to reduce when screwing mechanism
    20210218_105214.jpgMRZ 1939 PenPencil set.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: eversharp Bantam pencil repair

I would have to dig out some Bantam pencils once I am back at the house, but I can tell you that the Sheaffer's has a gap due to the celluloid body shrinking relative to the metal liners. The top pulls off to reveal the eraser, and the eraser pulls out to give access to the lead storage compartment. Jonathan Veley (the Leadhead) has a website and blog that is all about mechanical pencils. Check out his site, just to see what a mass of info he has put together. I use his site, as often times the clue to an old pen can be found through a pencil. He may have info on troubleshooting your pencil.

Jammed up with broken lead, or someone over-twisting mechanism are pretty common issues.

Bob

Thanks

Many thanks for the response and recommended site. I'll visit and see if I can restore.

Thanks

If the gap on the Sheaffer's bugs you, you can remove the mechanism, chuck up each half in a lathe, and flush cut the protruding brass liners.

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    If the gap on the Sheaffer's bugs you, you can remove the mechanism, chuck up each half in a lathe, and flush cut the protruding brass liners.

Bob
    Thanks. However, I can't seem to remove the top section of the pencil above the gold ring. I'm scared to put too much pressure on it as it may break. Any suggestions of how to remove or am I better off just leaving it alone and load the pencil lead in from tip only?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Thanks

A Sheaffer's pencil like yours, has the mechanism secured in the lower half by the threaded ferrule. The upper half slides over the mechanism and is held in place by friction, such that you rotate the top with respect to bottom, to advance the lead. It's kind of a Goldilocks and the Three Bears story. "This cap is stuck...Too tight!" "This cap just spins and falls off...Too loose!" Every once in a while Goldy finds one that is "Just right". Corrosion, grit/dirt, or someone over remedying a loose top by squeezing the inner barrel out of round is probably the issue. If you have to pull hard, warm up the pencil a bit and make sure to pull straight.

Bob