Thread: Extra fine nibs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Extra fine nibs

Saw this on YT, and thought to share.

Normally I wouldn't go for an extra fine nib, but this video and the posters excellent handwriting make me question my choices. Have both a Pilot 912 PO and a Pilot Elabo in my shopping cart at the moment!

I also find the voice over quite soothing.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 19th, 2021), Kaputnik (February 19th, 2021), Panos (February 23rd, 2021), Pterodactylus (February 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Extra fine nibs

I have one or two EF nibs, but I love watching those EFNIR reviews, especially if it's an ink I already have...she's on YT, plus FPN.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Most of my pens are fine or extra fine. Provided the nibs are well set up and have good ink delivery, they are what suits my hand. They need a good, strong, intense ink to stand out well on the paper. It helps that I use unlined paper so there is nothing to distract the eye.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

The best way IMO to try out an EF to see if it works for you is to just pick up a Pilot Penmanship - they're strange little plastic pens, but are only a tenner, and if you don't like it, it's a pretty inexpensive trial! If you do like the nib, they swap into plenty of other pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I have an older Pilot Elite, which I picked up on Ebay for about $40. The nib is only marked "18k Soft", but is definitely extra fine.

Although it doesn't feel particularly soft, I find it quite smooth, and not at all scratchy if I use a soft touch. I have no pretensions as a calligrapher, but have been finding a number of uses for it, and am keeping it more or less continually inked while I work my way through a number of Pilot cartridges. I already have quite a few empty Pilot cartridges for refilling, so this batch is just going in the recycling when they are used up.

For general writing, I prefer pens in the fine to medium range, and have one broad nibbed pen inked at the moment, too. But EF definitely has its place in the arsenal.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton