Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Hi everyone, can anyone help me verify the authenticity of three MB fountain pens I've purchased over the years? I'm a collector (not a dealer) and they all write nicely, but I want to make sure they're real.

    MB 144: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8n?usp=sharing

    MB 146: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...4A?usp=sharing

    MB 149: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...or?usp=sharing

    If you need any other angles, please let me know. Thanks so much!

  2. #2
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,944
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    There is no way to authenticate a Montblanc based on pictures. Often pictures can show it is a fake but they can never show it is not a fake.

    However there is nothing in your pictures that definitely screams fake.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    theodore94 (February 21st, 2021)

  4. #3
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 437 Times in 313 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    I've only looked briefly at your pics, but as a general rule, I wouldn't be too worried about the piston fillers (so the 146 and 149 are likely to be fine).

    If your 144 is one of the early piston fillers, again, not likely to be a problem, but if it's one of the later models (that became the first classique) then you need to be looking inside - especially at the converter. It's the CC pens that are much more vulnerable to the fakers, who tend not to bother with the complex production process involved in the p/f pens.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    jackwebb (February 21st, 2021), theodore94 (February 21st, 2021)

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Thank you so much!

    I understand nothing in the pictures scream fake. Hopefully after the pandemic I can take them to a local trusted dealer to see what they think.

    The 144 is not a piston... I added a few more pictures of the inside. Anything scream fake there?

  7. #5
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 437 Times in 313 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Nope. Looks OK for an early version - I think the later ones switched to the screw in version. Most of the fakes either have an obvious cheap Chinese version, or one branded with a badly stamped Mont Blanc (two words usually upper case).

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    theodore94 (February 21st, 2021)

  9. #6
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    3,012
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    146 and 149 are piston filler, I never heard about a fake piston filler, way too much effort to create a fake piston filler.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    Cyril (May 20th, 2021), theodore94 (February 21st, 2021)

  11. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    an obvious cheap Chinese version, or one branded with a badly stamped Mont Blanc (two words usually upper case).
    Well the actual converter does seem to have "MONT BLANC" upper case on different lines stamped -- see a few pictures I just added to the 144 folder. However, that's just the converter... I'm not even completely positive that came with the pen when I bought it. Is that a red flag?
    Last edited by theodore94; February 21st, 2021 at 02:41 PM.

  12. #8
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,944
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    146 and 149 are piston filler, I never heard about a fake piston filler, way too much effort to create a fake piston filler.
    There's nothing complex about a piston filler and there have even been fake Montblanc 149 clear body fountain pens. Remember that even the student Reforms were piston fillers as well as lots of German student pens that were piston fillers.

  13. #9
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    3,012
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    146 and 149 are piston filler, I never heard about a fake piston filler, way too much effort to create a fake piston filler.
    There's nothing complex about a piston filler and there have even been fake Montblanc 149 clear body fountain pens. Remember that even the student Reforms were piston fillers as well as lots of German student pens that were piston fillers.
    Compared to a simple CC pen a piston filler is for sure more complex to fake.

    Anyway do you have reference pictures of fake piston fillers?
    I found none and and I would be interested to see some if they are existing.

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by theodore94 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    an obvious cheap Chinese version, or one branded with a badly stamped Mont Blanc (two words usually upper case).
    Well the actual converter does seem to have "MONT BLANC" upper case on different lines stamped -- see a few pictures I just added to the 144 folder. However, that's just the converter... I'm not even completely positive that came with the pen when I bought it. Is that a red flag?
    My converter is just like that, and I bought the pen new from a major department store. It also had a trip to Mont Blanc for repair, so I'm pretty sure that what you see doesn't say "fake."

  15. #11
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,944
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    No pictures but they are not hard to find. There was a guy making Montblanc Skeletons a couple years ago that were really quite nice but not made by MB. There have even been fakes of some of the Hero piston fillers that sold for almost nothing.

    And I'm not at all sure a piston filler is harder to fake that any other format including eyedroppers.

    Remember, the fake only has to look good enough to sell. It does not have to last or work well or be at all reliable.

    Anything that can be sold is being faked, aircraft engine parts, break pads, turbine blades hand bags anything.

  16. #12
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 437 Times in 313 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by theodore94 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    an obvious cheap Chinese version, or one branded with a badly stamped Mont Blanc (two words usually upper case).
    Well the actual converter does seem to have "MONT BLANC" upper case on different lines stamped -- see a few pictures I just added to the 144 folder. However, that's just the converter... I'm not even completely positive that came with the pen when I bought it. Is that a red flag?
    Yours looks just fine The green top is a good thing! Now if it looked like this, you might have a problem...

    montblanc-converter.jpg

  17. #13
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 437 Times in 313 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    146 and 149 are piston filler, I never heard about a fake piston filler, way too much effort to create a fake piston filler.
    There's nothing complex about a piston filler and there have even been fake Montblanc 149 clear body fountain pens. Remember that even the student Reforms were piston fillers as well as lots of German student pens that were piston fillers.
    Compared to a simple CC pen a piston filler is for sure more complex to fake.

    Anyway do you have reference pictures of fake piston fillers?
    I found none and and I would be interested to see some if they are existing.
    I've never seen a fake MB piston filler either - I'd love to see an example as well.

  18. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    No pictures but they are not hard to find. There was a guy making Montblanc Skeletons a couple years ago that were really quite nice but not made by MB. There have even been fakes of some of the Hero piston fillers that sold for almost nothing.

    And I'm not at all sure a piston filler is harder to fake that any other format including eyedroppers.

    Remember, the fake only has to look good enough to sell. It does not have to last or work well or be at all reliable.

    Anything that can be sold is being faked, aircraft engine parts, break pads, turbine blades hand bags anything.

    Hello, I am guessing, regards to "fake" you are referring to the cheap pens which resembles to Montblanc, like the clip of Hemingway model , orange body.
    However, haven't seen them in piston.

    Additionally, if you have seen Montblanc demonstrators made by someone, which have piston.

    Trust me those are highly valuable custom pens made by ace craftsman. It seems they are popularly called homage to the predecessor models, and cost way more than the original Montblanc pens.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #15
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,944
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Help verifying authenticity of MB 144/146/149

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktaurian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    No pictures but they are not hard to find. There was a guy making Montblanc Skeletons a couple years ago that were really quite nice but not made by MB. There have even been fakes of some of the Hero piston fillers that sold for almost nothing.

    And I'm not at all sure a piston filler is harder to fake that any other format including eyedroppers.

    Remember, the fake only has to look good enough to sell. It does not have to last or work well or be at all reliable.

    Anything that can be sold is being faked, aircraft engine parts, break pads, turbine blades hand bags anything.

    Hello, I am guessing, regards to "fake" you are referring to the cheap pens which resembles to Montblanc, like the clip of Hemingway model , orange body.
    However, haven't seen them in piston.

    Additionally, if you have seen Montblanc demonstrators made by someone, which have piston.

    Trust me those are highly valuable custom pens made by ace craftsman. It seems they are popularly called homage to the predecessor models, and cost way more than the original Montblanc pens.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seen all of the above but the fantasy that a piston is somehow expensive is belied by the Reform 1745 and the myriad of other German piston filling fountain pens from Montblanc and many other German fountain pen makers.

    Piston fillers need not be expensive.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •