Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It appears that the 2021 P51 FP is now available in the UK

Thanks

Default Re: It appears that the 2021 P51 FP is now available in the UK

Just to add to what proteus has said, the new 51 in Plum is a long way from the Archbishop's new Advent chasubule shade shown on the Parker pen site. Instead in the flesh I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is very much an Aerometric Plum as you can see from the photo.

I agree that the Midnight Blue is a spot-on match with the Aero colour but curiously it is the Black CT version of the new 51 that reminds me the most of an Aerometric. Strange, given that dimensionally it is identical to all the others but there you have it. Probably because Classic Black Aeros are so common I suppose.

20210405_085558.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheptonian For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 7th, 2021), Jon Szanto (April 7th, 2021), proteus (April 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I used to think that the NOS pen's very matte looking feed and clear sac on an aerometric 51 was a real pleasure to adore.
    Assuming that the pleasure of adoration is one's primary concern then that may be so. After all there are plenty of collectors who prefer to buy pens in order to adore them.

However, there are also those who buy pens to write with and for some those NOS "old" pens are either too expensive or can't be found. I, for one, have never personally seen/held a NOS original Parker 51 aerometric, nor would I ever consider buying one of those I've seen pictures of due to their high cost.

As far as writing with a Parker 51 is concerned then a new twist action converter that can be bought separately might be considered as an advantage over an aerometric or vacumatic filling system that was harder to clean out for those who like changing ink colours frequently. And from what I've heard about the new Parker 51, one of it's advantages is it's ability to write well.

Maybe some manufacturers are even pricing their pens with the "collector" market in mind? Those who buy don't buy pens to write with don't need converters anyway. LOL
    For people whose aim is to write with a pen, and that was my aim for a long time, the more modern pen with a twist converter makes a lot more sense. Even older pens like the Parker 45 or the Parker 75 can benefit from the twist converter. The twist converter can be removed and an ear-cleaning type bulb can be attached to the section to aid flushing for ink changes.
    I was in my later thirties when I began to buy a few NOS Parker 51 pens. Some I bought at yard sales for as little as $5.00 and as much as $60.00 on ebay, and this is way back. So I had a few of NOS Parker 51s, basically pens nobody ever used, probably gifts. It was luck and timing -- the pens coming to market as someone selling an unused gift, or someone inheriting something they had no use for, something like that. Things are different. I think I have sold or traded those lucky purchases. I did very much enjoy examining new 51s in detail, and I did come to adore them. It was one of the pleasures of having been a collector of 51s, and there was a time back then that 51s were the only pens I was interested in.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 8th, 2021), fountainpenkid (April 8th, 2021), Jon Szanto (April 8th, 2021), proteus (April 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Pajaro,

What a wonderful and interesting reply.

Thank You.

Sheptonian,

Thank you also for your expert photography.

As for remake Plum, I am possibly too old fashioned to like the ‘ new ‘ arrow clip.

The cap barrel looks superb though.

As for the best P51 cap ever made……….

Hands down and by miles ……….P51SE ( Solid Silver with gold overlay )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by proteus; April 10th, 2021 at 02:31 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to proteus For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 9th, 2021), Sheptonian (April 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Pajaro,

What a wonderful and interesting reply.

Thank You.

Sheptonian,

Thank you also for your expert photography.

As for remake Plum, I am possibly too fashioned to like the ‘ new ‘ arrow clip.

The cap barrel looks superb though.

As for the best P51 cap ever made……….

Hands down and by miles ……….P51SE ( Solid Silver with gold overlay )
    Nice pictures, very nice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

proteus (April 10th, 2021)