Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do I begin, please help?

Thanks

Default Re: Where do I begin, please help?

Sorry for your loss, your Uncle had a good taste for his preferred writing tools!

I hope you grow fond of them and USE them............I am sure he did not want them to sit in a case and get dust- which is why in particular you have them

Quink is good, safe ink................I use it and Sheaffer's Skrip fairly regularly, especially in my vintage pens. I prefer the blue-black myself

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

welch (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

You have there a wonderful way to remember your uncle every single day. Every time you take out a pen.

Most modern pens don't need a lot of special care, just to be treated with respect and cleaned out every time you finish writing with them. for converter pens it's very easy, you can use a turkey basting bulb to squeeze water through; it's a bit more complicated for piston pens. Don't put them away till they are dry.

Keep them away from too much heat, handle them gently, and every so often take a cotton bud and clean inside the cap where ink tends to accumulate, just with water and maybe a tiny drop of dish soap.

Find some nice inks - I like the Waterman and Pelikan inks, particularly the serenity blue and koenigsblau which are very tolerant and write well with most nibs.

And then start writing, and *listen to the pen*. Get to know it. Some pens are just raring to go, others will say "hey, you have to hold me this way or I'll get scratchy"; and I do actually have nib that 'sings' as it writes!

I hope you enjoy your collection. Nothing will replace an uncle but you can remember him fondly every time you use one of these pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Everywhere View Post
    Thank you! I will try the Quink then. I'm very lucky, but I miss my Uncle
    In addition to everything you already know that is personal, your uncle had good taste. Ink one or two at a time and write, considering that it will be like holding his hand.

I can't see detail of each pen, but in the lower right side it looks like he left you a pair of "ciselle" Parker 75s. They have a simple cartridge / converter filling system. You probably ought to unscrew the barrel, gently pull the converter, rinse the grip and nib, pump some clean water in and out of the converter, then reassemble and fill with Quink. Then enjoy.

I suggest you get to know each pen the same way. Figure out what it is, learn about its filling system, rinse it out, fill it, and write. Use a pen for a week or so, which allows you to know how the pen writes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

amk (March 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink Everywhere View Post
    Thank you! I will try the Quink then. I'm very lucky, but I miss my Uncle
    In addition to everything you already know that is personal, your uncle had good taste. Ink one or two at a time and write, considering that it will be like holding his hand.

I can't see detail of each pen, but in the lower right side it looks like he left you a pair of "ciselle" Parker 75s. They have a simple cartridge / converter filling system. You probably ought to unscrew the barrel, gently pull the converter, rinse the grip and nib, pump some clean water in and out of the converter, then reassemble and fill with Quink. Then enjoy.

I suggest you get to know each pen the same way. Figure out what it is, learn about its filling system, rinse it out, fill it, and write. Use a pen for a week or so, which allows you to know how the pen writes.
    Good call, post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain