Thread: Gold nibs

Thanks

Default Gold nibs

New to making fountain pens, with each FP I have made I find that the nib lacks a little, I make the fountain pens from silver, would love to add a gold nib to it, I have been using the Baron style pen kit but I’m not finding a replacement nib for it in gold..... any suggestions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MuldoomsCustoms For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Gold nibs

Nice work! Are you making the hammered sections and using pre-fabricated parts for the rest? I am a vintage collector, so my choice would be to fit some of these with some nice vintage nib. that would be pretty slick. Problem with that is that the pen community is not very good at identifying the radius of vintage pen nibs at the shank, so finding nibs that fit your section's internal diameter would require some research. There are some suppliers of new gold nibs, who should have this information as a part of their specs....I assume.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

For me personally any nib in an all silver or silver coloured pen would have to be steel/silver/rhodium plated. I've picked up and put down so many silver pens because they had gold nibs when I removed the cap. Just a personal preference.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

MuldoomsCustoms (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Nice work! Are you making the hammered sections and using pre-fabricated parts for the rest? I am a vintage collector, so my choice would be to fit some of these with some nice vintage nib. that would be pretty slick. Problem with that is that the pen community is not very good at identifying the radius of vintage pen nibs at the shank, so finding nibs that fit your section's internal diameter would require some research. There are some suppliers of new gold nibs, who should have this information as a part of their specs....I assume.

Bob
    I’m building the textured parts out of sterling silver, the rest are prefabbed parts, I used the baron kit because the visible prefabbed parts are silver plated as well. in the twist style of pen I messed around with the prefab parts made them from silver too but found when used as a daily pen they didn’t handle abuse well most common problem was when I drop the pen the nib bends in so you can’t twist it out, little things like that so I went back to the prefab parts for a more solid end this is a pic of a twist/fountain set for a reference IMG_3470.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    For me personally any nib in an all silver or silver coloured pen would have to be steel/silver/rhodium plated. I've picked up and put down so many silver pens because they had gold nibs when I removed the cap. Just a personal preference.
    Being a total noob to the fountain pen world I didn’t even think of a silver end, I love the scroll work on the nibs that come with it (rhodium plated I believe) I’ll search around and see if i can find silver with the scroll work!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

First off, looks like you know your way around silversmithing.

I would highly encourage you to consider not using kits because it would only serve to limit your pen-making potential.

Secondly, research vintage pens with silver or gold plated overlays. Some of the nicest fountain pens have the barrel and cap made out of ebonite and then your silverwork can be used to adorn the pen.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 27th, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I would highly encourage you to consider not using kits because it would only serve to limit your pen-making potential.

Secondly, research vintage pens with silver or gold plated overlays. Some of the nicest fountain pens have the barrel and cap made out of ebonite and then your silverwork can be used to adorn the pen.
    Thank you! I’ll search up vintage items see how it was done

Thanks

I can`t say I have tried all the materials, but I know Bock makes both gold, palladium and platinum nibs. and nib-feed sections as well. Titanium is on the less costly side. I think it`s possible to have your own logo on the nib too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

MuldoomsCustoms (February 28th, 2021), Ole Juul (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

You can get an idea of what's available at fpnibs.com where they have Bock and Jowo gold nibs for sale.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

MuldoomsCustoms (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I can`t say I have tried all the materials, but I know Bock makes both gold, palladium and platinum nibs. and nib-feed sections as well. Titanium is on the less costly side. I think it`s possible to have your own logo on the nib too.
    The logo would be sweet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    You can get an idea of what's available at fpnibs.com where they have Bock and Jowo gold nibs for sale.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MuldoomsCustoms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Thank you! I’ll search up vintage items see how it was done

You might take a look at the Web site of a maker called "Country Made Pens" (Troy Breeding). He's been working with overlays and engraving. Very nice man. He may have some suggestions for you. https://www.countrymadepens.com/
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

MuldoomsCustoms (February 28th, 2021)