Thread: Pen for showing off ink Shading

Thanks

Default Pen for showing off ink Shading

Main Question; I want a pen that will show off ink shading. $30 price range. I am looking at the Lamy Safari and TWSBI Eco. Broad Nibs seems like the nest way to go for the intended purpose. Not sure which would put down more ink. Any ideas or suggestions?

Bonus: What ink(s) stand out for shading? I see Apache Sunset, Black swan in Australian roses, Noodler's Golden brown recommended a lot. I would like to find a "Purple" towards the blue end rather than red-side that shades really well.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Pen for showing off ink Shading

I can't really guide you on the ink choices. Especially in recent years, there have been a lot of new inks come to market, and while leaning on shimmer and sheen, there are still some that ply their worth by shading. You'll have to google but I like the site/blog called Mountain of Ink for big batch of ink reviews that are thorough and good photos to show ink characteristics.

Yes, at *least* a broad. Frankly, a 1.1 stub is a nice way to go as well. You can get a stub in a Pilot Plumix ($9) and pull it easily and put it in a Pilot Metropolitan ($15) if you like, or just leave it, and that is an inexpensive paintbrush. Both width of line and amount of ink are factors...

... as is paper. This is really a big part of it! If you just write on basic copier paper, it is so absorbent that the ink soaks in before it has time to pool in different areas and dry faster/slower to show shading. Optimally you want a harder surface. Rhodia is one direction, and a lot of people favor Japanese papers, Tomoe River being the most often cited. These papers really do make a big difference, and often people have inks that they didn't realize had nice shading until they got it onto the right paper.

Have fun!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

damfino (March 24th, 2021), guyy (March 1st, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (March 17th, 2021)

Thanks

My pen suggestion would be a Lamy Safari/Al-Star with a calligraphy nib. I like the 1.5mm but 1.9mm might show slightly more shading.

I don’t keep up with ink. I do like shading, and it’s something i want to have, but i have enough ink for now. My vintage inks are generally unavailable. Of currently made inks, the Califolio inks generally shade well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

I would recommend you get yourself a Kanwrite ultra flex or any pen with an ultraflex nib. (Ideal with a vintage flex, but that'll cost you a lot more). That can make even non shading inks to shade.
    For ex. R&K Marlene doesn't shade normally but in Ahab it's a beauty. Or Diamine Syrah shades beautifully with a vintage flex but not normally.
    Then it's a question of paper, you can't have shading with copy paper. I would go either with Midori or Tomoe River 68gr.
    Apache sunset and Golden brown take an eternity to dry.

Here's a list of shading inks from Mountain of ink. .

Here's a Salix with a wide fude and a medium nib in 5$ Jinhao 450

Salix 1.jpg

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (March 24th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 2nd, 2021), Zoe (March 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

As already said, broad, italic and flex nibs tends to support ink shading capabilities.
    In general you need quite some ink on the paper, but not equally distributed.

But also the paper has influence to shading, if you have a absorbent paper you likely see no or less shading.
    Smooth paper which do not suck the ink into immediately like e.g. Clairefontaine support shading as well.

If you like italic pens a Pilot Parallel 1.5 might also be a good option.
    They are awesome italic nibs with razor sharp line definition.
    I would not go broader than 1.5 mm for the beginning, broader than that is not really manageable as a daily writer.

There are plenty of high shading inks around.
    Just Google it and you will get a lot of results.

Quote 005 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pilot Parallel 2.4 mm ..... KWZ Azure #4)

Quote+Thomas+A.+Edison+by+https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus+on+@DeviantArt by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pilot Parallel Pen 1.5 ..... Rohrer & Klingner Marlene)

Show_response_761 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pilot Parallel 1.5 ..... Diamine Blue Pearl)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

damfino (March 24th, 2021), Yazeh (March 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
    Main Question; I want a pen that will show off ink shading. $30 price range. I am looking at the Lamy Safari and TWSBI Eco. Broad Nibs seems like the nest way to go for the intended purpose. Not sure which would put down more ink. Any ideas or suggestions?

Bonus: What ink(s) stand out for shading? I see Apache Sunset, Black swan in Australian roses, Noodler's Golden brown recommended a lot. I would like to find a "Purple" towards the blue end rather than red-side that shades really well.

Thanks
    TWSBI Eco with a B or 1.1mm stub nib fits the bill.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I can't really guide you on the ink choices. Especially in recent years, there have been a lot of new inks come to market, and while leaning on shimmer and sheen, there are still some that ply their worth by shading. You'll have to google but I like the site/blog called Mountain of Ink for big batch of ink reviews that are thorough and good photos to show ink characteristics.

Yes, at *least* a broad. Frankly, a 1.1 stub is a nice way to go as well. You can get a stub in a Pilot Plumix ($9) and pull it easily and put it in a Pilot Metropolitan ($15) if you like, or just leave it, and that is an inexpensive paintbrush. Both width of line and amount of ink are factors...

... as is paper. This is really a big part of it! If you just write on basic copier paper, it is so absorbent that the ink soaks in before it has time to pool in different areas and dry faster/slower to show shading. Optimally you want a harder surface. Rhodia is one direction, and a lot of people favor Japanese papers, Tomoe River being the most often cited. These papers really do make a big difference, and often people have inks that they didn't realize had nice shading until they got it onto the right paper.

Have fun!
    It took me years of trial and error to 'get' this: 'Whyyy does my ink look different than my pen pal's? Waaaaah.'
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...Yes, at *least* a broad. Frankly, a 1.1 stub is a nice way to go as well. You can get a stub in a Pilot Plumix ($9) and pull it easily and put it in a Pilot Metropolitan ($15) if you like, or just leave it, and that is an inexpensive paintbrush. Both width of line and amount of ink are factors...Have fun!
    Back in the day, I was smitten with Pelikan M400s and M200s, and Richard Binder sold both when he was in the pen biz at pen shows. So I would go overboard, buy them with B nibs and have him grind them to 1.1mm cursive italic. I have four of these that avoided being posted in the classifieds, and now when I compare inks side-by-side, they are my choice.

Fun? That's the point of it all! Otherwise, I'd use a ballpoint; they're no fun! :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
    You might want to check out Mountain of Ink: https://www.mountainofink.com. Look in the sidebar for shading inks. Huge selection reviewed.