Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: A grey alternative

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default A grey alternative

    Hey guys, so Iíve been dabbling in making my own inks for a short while now and have stumbled upon this stuff. Itís called Rit Pearl Grey and costs under $5 for a 236 mL bottle. I e been mixing it up with some mild pigments and other inks it has been promising.
    However, today I realized that on its own itís almost identical to Sailor Ink Studioís 252. They both sheen pink and have hints of green/purple in them. So save yourself $200 and just grab this stuff.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (March 4th, 2021)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,443
    Thanks
    6,009
    Thanked 8,707 Times in 3,236 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Are you offering the guarantee that it is safe for use in any and all fountain pens and fp filling systems?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 4th, 2021)

  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default A grey alternative

    Lol isnít it your job to look into the ink you put into your own pens? I canít hold your hand darling. Read the label and make your own decisions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spencerwilli; March 3rd, 2021 at 11:52 PM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (March 4th, 2021)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,993
    Thanks
    1,514
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Lol isnít it your job to look into the ink you put into your own pens? I canít hold your hand darling. Read the label and make your own decisions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quite a sloppy answer to a legit question/concern darling.

    You suggesting putting fabric dye into pens (possibly very expensive pens) just because you like the color and it just looks similar to a quite expensive hyped multi-chromatic fountain pen ink of one of the major fountain pen ink manufacturer.

    This product is made to stain fabric permanently, quite a different use case compared to fountain pen ink.

    I donˋt say you shouldnít post your idea of an experiment, maybe trying it in a cheap Chinese pen.
    I would not do such a experiment with one of my valued pens.


    But how I perceived the message from your post: ďDonít be stupid to buy one of the hyped multi-chromatic new inks and waste hundreds of dollars, just use fabric dye in your pensĒ
    Thatís a bold message.

    And in my eyes your answer to Jonís post was quite inappropriate darling.....
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; March 4th, 2021 at 12:36 AM.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 4th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 4th, 2021), Zoe (March 5th, 2021)

  9. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Then donít use it lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #6
    Senior Member Ole Juul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 371 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    I think experimenting with ink is an admirable pursuit. I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about how this goes for you. How does it write, and how is the lubrication, wetness, etc.?

    Funnily enough, I actually have several dozen boxes of this exact dye (don't ask!) and wonder if the bottled version is the same, just with water.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

    spencerwilli (March 4th, 2021), Yazeh (March 4th, 2021)

  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I think experimenting with ink is an admirable pursuit. I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about how this goes for you. How does it write, and how is the lubrication, wetness, etc.?

    Funnily enough, I actually have several dozen boxes of this exact dye (don't ask!) and wonder if the bottled version is the same, just with water.
    Thank you! To me, it writes exactly like the Sailor 252. Right in the middle of dry/wet. Fairly decent shading, and some cool colors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #8
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,443
    Thanks
    6,009
    Thanked 8,707 Times in 3,236 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Lol isnít it your job to look into the ink you put into your own pens? I canít hold your hand darling. Read the label and make your own decisions.
    Just asking a question, no need to act like a dick about it. RIT Safety Data Sheet for those who are interested.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), silverlifter (March 4th, 2021), spencerwilli (March 14th, 2021)

  15. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Just getting tired of all the rhetorical trolling on here


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #10
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,470
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked 6,547 Times in 2,660 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Just getting tired of all the rhetorical trolling on here
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You posted: So save yourself $200 and just grab this stuff. Merely as your own recommendation that it's a very similar colour to a fountain pen ink.

    Personally I don't mind paying $15 for a bottle of fountain pen ink made by a reputable manufacturer who stands behind his product as being guaranteed safe for use in fountain pens, as opposed to spending $5 on a bottle of dye that may or may not be useful for other completely different purposes.

    I suspect many other fountain pen users would also prefer to only use fountain pen ink and even if I was trying out an experiment like yours myself, I certainly wouldn't come on here saying look this stuff I have tried is the same colour, use it in your fountain pens. That's because I would be mortified if anyone else's valuable fountain pen was damaged as a result of that recommendation.

    To then suggest that someone is rhetorically trolling you because he suggested there are other considerations to think about when using non fountain pen products in fountain pens and unlike you he wanted to ensure others are aware that this product might damage their fountain pens is inappropriate. Darling.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 14th, 2021 at 12:39 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 14th, 2021)

  18. #11
    Senior Member Ole Juul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 371 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    I still support the OP's enthusiasm, and have no problem with his choice of expression. People talk in different ways and certainly I'm not going to be the one chastising somebody for not using lawyerly language.

    Of course I'm am very concerned for other people, I think that is a given for adults. But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

    spencerwilli (March 14th, 2021)

  20. #12
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,443
    Thanks
    6,009
    Thanked 8,707 Times in 3,236 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.
    You obviously haven't spent much time on the reddit fountain pen forum, home to nearly 190,000 people interested in fps, many of whom are inexperienced enough that they will do almost anything someone else says is cool. Maybe not here.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 14th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021)

  22. #13
    Senior Member Morgaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    594
    Thanked 379 Times in 248 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    The Sailor 252 ink looks much nicer than the fabric dye. And it is safe to use in fountain pens. Not a good idea to breathe it in, so no writing something to be read under the bedcovers with a torch.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

    eachan (March 14th, 2021)

  24. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.
    You obviously haven't spent much time on the reddit fountain pen forum, home to nearly 190,000 people interested in fps, many of whom are inexperienced enough that they will do almost anything someone else says is cool. Maybe not here.
    This isnít Reddit, itís a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. And adding to Oleís comment, you propose a straw man argument until you bring forth any evidence saying this ink/dye is any less suitable than the sailor ink.

    Iíll wait......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #15
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,470
    Thanks
    3,743
    Thanked 6,547 Times in 2,660 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    This isnít Reddit, itís a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. And adding to Oleís comment, you propose a straw man argument until you bring forth any evidence saying this ink/dye is any less suitable than the sailor ink.

    Iíll wait......Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes this is a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. For your information r/fountainpens on Reddit is a similar forum.

    The "evidence" you seek is printed on the respective boxes/bottles for all to see. One is an ink specifically designed and made for use in fountain pens and the other is a dye specially designed for use on materials. They are therefore both manufactured as suitable for their own specific purposes and unsuitable for others.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 15th, 2021 at 02:02 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 25th, 2021), eachan (March 15th, 2021)

  27. #16
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,993
    Thanks
    1,514
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: A grey alternative

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.
    You obviously haven't spent much time on the reddit fountain pen forum, home to nearly 190,000 people interested in fps, many of whom are inexperienced enough that they will do almost anything someone else says is cool. Maybe not here.
    This isnít Reddit, itís a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. And adding to Oleís comment, you propose a straw man argument until you bring forth any evidence saying this ink/dye is any less suitable than the sailor ink.

    Iíll wait......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So now basically you claim with your last post, just to rephrase it as I understood it:

    This dye used to stain fabric (even synthetic fibers like nylon) permanently is save to use in fountain pens and itˋs up to us to proof that this dye is any less suitable than Sailor fountain pen ink.




    ....I guess there is not much left one could reply to such a quote................

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •