Thread: A grey alternative

Thanks

Default A grey alternative

Hey guys, so I’ve been dabbling in making my own inks for a short while now and have stumbled upon this stuff. It’s called Rit Pearl Grey and costs under $5 for a 236 mL bottle. I e been mixing it up with some mild pigments and other inks it has been promising.
    However, today I realized that on its own it’s almost identical to Sailor Ink Studio’s 252. They both sheen pink and have hints of green/purple in them. So save yourself $200 and just grab this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: A grey alternative

Are you offering the guarantee that it is safe for use in any and all fountain pens and fp filling systems?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Default A grey alternative

Lol isn’t it your job to look into the ink you put into your own pens? I can’t hold your hand darling. Read the label and make your own decisions.

Last edited by spencerwilli; March 3rd, 2021 at 11:52 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Lol isn’t it your job to look into the ink you put into your own pens? I can’t hold your hand darling. Read the label and make your own decisions.

Quite a sloppy answer to a legit question/concern darling.

You suggesting putting fabric dye into pens (possibly very expensive pens) just because you like the color and it just looks similar to a quite expensive hyped multi-chromatic fountain pen ink of one of the major fountain pen ink manufacturer.

This product is made to stain fabric permanently, quite a different use case compared to fountain pen ink.

I donˋt say you shouldn’t post your idea of an experiment, maybe trying it in a cheap Chinese pen.
    I would not do such a experiment with one of my valued pens.

But how I perceived the message from your post: “Don’t be stupid to buy one of the hyped multi-chromatic new inks and waste hundreds of dollars, just use fabric dye in your pens”
    That’s a bold message.

And in my eyes your answer to Jon’s post was quite inappropriate darling.....
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; March 4th, 2021 at 12:36 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 4th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 4th, 2021), Zoe (March 5th, 2021)

Thanks

Then don’t use it lol

Thanks

I think experimenting with ink is an admirable pursuit. I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about how this goes for you. How does it write, and how is the lubrication, wetness, etc.?

Funnily enough, I actually have several dozen boxes of this exact dye (don't ask!) and wonder if the bottled version is the same, just with water.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (March 4th, 2021), Yazeh (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I think experimenting with ink is an admirable pursuit. I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about how this goes for you. How does it write, and how is the lubrication, wetness, etc.?

Funnily enough, I actually have several dozen boxes of this exact dye (don't ask!) and wonder if the bottled version is the same, just with water.
    Thank you! To me, it writes exactly like the Sailor 252. Right in the middle of dry/wet. Fairly decent shading, and some cool colors.

Thanks

Just asking a question, no need to act like a dick about it. RIT Safety Data Sheet for those who are interested.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), silverlifter (March 4th, 2021), spencerwilli (March 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Just getting tired of all the rhetorical trolling on here

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Just getting tired of all the rhetorical trolling on here
    You posted: So save yourself $200 and just grab this stuff. Merely as your own recommendation that it's a very similar colour to a fountain pen ink.

Personally I don't mind paying $15 for a bottle of fountain pen ink made by a reputable manufacturer who stands behind his product as being guaranteed safe for use in fountain pens, as opposed to spending $5 on a bottle of dye that may or may not be useful for other completely different purposes.

I suspect many other fountain pen users would also prefer to only use fountain pen ink and even if I was trying out an experiment like yours myself, I certainly wouldn't come on here saying look this stuff I have tried is the same colour, use it in your fountain pens. That's because I would be mortified if anyone else's valuable fountain pen was damaged as a result of that recommendation.

To then suggest that someone is rhetorically trolling you because he suggested there are other considerations to think about when using non fountain pen products in fountain pens and unlike you he wanted to ensure others are aware that this product might damage their fountain pens is inappropriate. Darling.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 14th, 2021 at 12:39 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 14th, 2021)

Thanks

I still support the OP's enthusiasm, and have no problem with his choice of expression. People talk in different ways and certainly I'm not going to be the one chastising somebody for not using lawyerly language.

Of course I'm am very concerned for other people, I think that is a given for adults. But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (March 14th, 2021)

Thanks

But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.
    You obviously haven't spent much time on the reddit fountain pen forum, home to nearly 190,000 people interested in fps, many of whom are inexperienced enough that they will do almost anything someone else says is cool. Maybe not here.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 14th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021), Morgaine (March 14th, 2021)

Thanks

The Sailor 252 ink looks much nicer than the fabric dye. And it is safe to use in fountain pens. Not a good idea to breathe it in, so no writing something to be read under the bedcovers with a torch.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    But I don't believe that a person exists who would try this dye in an expensive (or any) fountain pen without knowing the risks. To me that is a strawman argument.
    You obviously haven't spent much time on the reddit fountain pen forum, home to nearly 190,000 people interested in fps, many of whom are inexperienced enough that they will do almost anything someone else says is cool. Maybe not here.
    This isn’t Reddit, it’s a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. And adding to Ole’s comment, you propose a straw man argument until you bring forth any evidence saying this ink/dye is any less suitable than the sailor ink.

I’ll wait......

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

This isn’t Reddit, it’s a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. And adding to Ole’s comment, you propose a straw man argument until you bring forth any evidence saying this ink/dye is any less suitable than the sailor ink.

I’ll wait......Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes this is a forum dedicated specifically to fountain pens made up of fountain pen users. For your information r/fountainpens on Reddit is a similar forum.

The "evidence" you seek is printed on the respective boxes/bottles for all to see. One is an ink specifically designed and made for use in fountain pens and the other is a dye specially designed for use on materials. They are therefore both manufactured as suitable for their own specific purposes and unsuitable for others.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 15th, 2021 at 02:02 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 25th, 2021), eachan (March 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I’ll wait......

So now basically you claim with your last post, just to rephrase it as I understood it:

This dye used to stain fabric (even synthetic fibers like nylon) permanently is save to use in fountain pens and itˋs up to us to proof that this dye is any less suitable than Sailor fountain pen ink.

....I guess there is not much left one could reply to such a quote................