Thread: Not much of a review: Parker Duofold Classic Centennial (modern)

Thanks

Default Not much of a review: Parker Duofold Classic Centennial (modern)

So, as part of my incoherent pen collection, I wanted a modern Parker Duofold to compare with the vintage ones. I know there are differences between vintage and modern pens, period. I also happen to like converter-fill pens because they are easy and convenient. If I can't have a squirting lever-fill like in the "Three Stooges" films, then I want something easy. So I found a modern Duofold Classic Centennial at what I think is a good price. 18 kt 2-tone nib, everything. I chose the black one with palladium/silver color trim because I thought it looked the most promising.

I haven't written with the pen yet. The nib does look promising, and to be the sort of nib I favor: a juicy medium point. The balance and heft of the pen are nice enough, and it's not too big for my preferences.

The barrel is lovely and glossy.

Still, upon unboxing, I was completely underwhelmed. I did what I always do--I put the pen in a case with other pens and went to sleep. With every other pen I've acquired, no matter how underwhelming, I've found that a good night's sleep turns that pen into a quite lovely thing. I opened my pen case again today and it was still underwhelming. I won't get rid of the pen, and certainly not before giving it a fair try writing with it, but this is the first in over 200 pens that hasn't improved with a mere 24 hours in the company of other pens. I never expected to not think a Parker was gorgeous from the very first moment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Not much of a review: Parker Duofold Classic Centennial (modern)

I suspect that vintage pen beauty and nib sophistication has spoiled you, understandably. It's hard to improve upon in so many aspects.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2021), TFarnon (March 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Not much of a review: Parker Duofold Classic Centennial (modern)

You could well be right. I confess to favoring the pens my grandparents would have chosen (1920s-1940s). Or rather, the pens my maternal grandmother would have favored. My maternal grandfather would have been all about Noodlers and TWSBI, because he took everything apart. Then he oiled it. Not everything got put back together properly, but he loved tinkering. I inherited the "apart" gene, as did my uncle and my brother. My uncle and I differ in that we get things back together in working order. My brother, not so much.

As far as nib sophistication goes, I like a wet nib along the lines of an American or German medium. I pretty much adapt my handwriting to the pen, rather than try to find pens that fit my handwriting. Not sophisticated, I know, but that's how my fountain pen experience began, in Germany, in 4th grade, with blue ink and medium nibs.