Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing monogram from Montblanc Clip

Thanks

Default Removing monogram from Montblanc Clip

Anyone every successfully removed a monogram from a gold plated Montblanc pen clip? If so what's the best way to do it without damaging the pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Removing monogram from Montblanc Clip

Take it to the Montblanc Boutique and get the clip replaced.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

jar is right. If you try to remove a monogram from a gold plated clip you will also remove the gold plating.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Change your name.

Seriously, it is certainly possible to sculpt the metal down, and re-plate (most jewers can do it), but if still in production a replacement is easier, and if out of production, such mods might adversely affect value.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

New clip. Any other method will be obvious and a lifelong disappointment.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

A bit over the top, Mr Szanto. You speak in too many absolutes for me. To make your point you even project how disappointed someone else would feel about monogrm removal... for the rest of their life. The horror! The idea that a monogram on a MB clip can never be worked on to the satisfaction of its current owner is ridiculous. Would it make sense to modify a partif a replacement was available? Probably not, but i can certainly imagine a scenario where someone would prefer a skillfully re-worked clip over one with some other feller's name taunting them through eternity.

There is plenty of evidence that people choose the compromise of a reworked surface of a pen to eliminate unwanted personalizations. I have seen it done poory and I have seen it done such that even someone like you probably wouldn't notice.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    A bit over the top, Mr Szanto. You speak in too many absolutes for me....
    WTF? You both urge the same remedy, and both suggest long-term negative impact if a clip is reworked instead of replaced. I suspect there's something else going on here. Take it back channel.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jar (March 11th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 12th, 2021), Ray-VIgo (March 11th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 11th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Take it back channel.
    No thanks.

I chose brevity and stark terms for my answer. No one needs to agree, but I think my stance is unequivocally clear.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 11th, 2021), eachan (March 11th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Take it back channel.
    No thanks.

I chose brevity and stark terms for my answer. No one needs to agree, but I think my stance is unequivocally clear.
    Well, I felt that you went out of your way to dismiss my basic assertion that removal of a monogram is possible, so I popped back at you. I have a fair amount of fabrication experience and have worked on more than a few MBs, so I feel that my stance is sound. I made my original post so as to actually answer the OP's question, as no one seemed to address it. I also presented that replacement might be easier, and where modification might be detrimental to value. I have no idea what MB he has, but what would be the harm if it is a run of the mill Meisterstuck clip on a pen that he just wants to use? If he screws it up, his disappointment need only last until he gets a new clip. Perhaps there is no MB boutique close by or... who knows? I believe in giving people information so that they can make an informed choice, not in making the choice for them.

Bob

Thanks

A bit over the top, Mr Szanto. You speak in too many absolutes for me....
    WTF? You both urge the same remedy, and both suggest long-term negative impact if a clip is reworked instead of replaced. I suspect there's something else going on here. Take it back channel.
    Nothing else going on other than what you read. No back channels for me.

Mr Szanto feels comfortable with this comment:

"New clip. Any other method will be obvious and a lifelong disappointment."

I disagree with such rubbish, as it doesn't leave any room for the reality that a reworked clip might be a viable option for some circumstances.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Bob, you are a bore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Bob, you are a bore.
    An opinion that is probably shared by many here. Oh well.

Bob

Thanks

Bob,

I don't know you, and if and when I've read your posts in the past, there is nothing that has formed any negative (or positive) impression in my head. I harbor no ill will towards you. I don't want to write this reply, but you seem adamant on harping on and making this about you and your opinion. I'll be as brief as I can.

Well, I felt that you went out of your way to dismiss my basic assertion that removal of a monogram is possible, so I popped back at you.
    Your first error: I never read your initial post, I was browsing the forum, read the OP's very brief query, and posted a quick reply via the "Quick Reply" window. I read no other entries, which includes yours, which totally precludes ANY of what I said from being a response TO you. Ok? Clear enough?

I have a fair amount of fabrication experience and have worked on more than a few MBs, so I feel that my stance is sound.
    Fine, we look at the situation differently, and I do not doubt that you, and other artist/crafts-people, have these skills. Why does it have to be anything more than that - differing opinions on how to proceed with a monogrammed clip on a Montblanc pen?

I believe in giving people information so that they can make an informed choice, not in making the choice for them.
    So do I. My information consisted of two words: "New clip". I then suggested how I felt about the alternative. We are operating from the same stance, in the main.

I have a basic principle I follow with any reasonably good pen, certainly any pen of provenance or intrinsic worth: do the least necessary. Anything that has been engraved has had a loss of material. Any attempt to remove that will require a larger loss of material (no one in their right mind would propose in-filling new metal on the clip, AFAIK). On top of material loss through that and the polishing, there would be the additional cost and effort to replate the nib. I can't imagine that this clip, on this pen, being placed next to a like object, would not have a noticeable difference, one that affects a worthy pen in value and appearance. All of that in contrast to sourcing a replacement clip, even if only sending back to Montblanc (which can be easily arranged), and have it done right.

Am I assuming that the pen should be treated this nicely? Yes, I am. Why on Earth should I assume that the person really doesn't give a shit what it looks like, just get rid of the damn engraving, yanno? In the very few words of my initial replies, you can, indeed, infer my biases wrapped up in my answer. The OP is welcome to scroll past it, think it rubbish, or possibly consider that I meant what I said, and maybe if someone feels that way...

Our nation has now passed well over half a million people dead, many needlessly, from a pandemic that is only just now being addressed in a wise and wide manner. So much pain, loss, disruption, and turmoil over the last 12 months. Even as a partial sunrise starts to appear, and we find ourselves struggling to consider that life may come back to us again - minus the many people and experiences we've been robbed of, altered beyond reason to reflect new realities - we must deal with things every day.

One thing I wish I didn't have to deal with is this response I've had to write regarding such a small, small, small matter (by comparison). It would have been so easy for you to just scroll on, firm in the knowledge that I'm a complete asshole and know nothing about engraved clips. Instead, you chose to drag this out. All this fucking inconsequential noise, even my own typage, when so much of import is happening all around us. I'm going to return to elements of positive and necessary dialogue now. I hope, once again, I've made myself clear, and I won't be responding any more to this thread.

I bid you, the OP, and everyone else peace.

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 12th, 2021), mizgeorge (March 12th, 2021)

Thanks

My preference would be to leave the monogram. Is it a bad name? Surely the provenance of the pen means something. My suggestion is change the way of thinking about it rather than change the pen.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2021), Yazeh (March 12th, 2021)

Thanks

^ That would be my choice too. I never remove personalisations. It's surprising how often a search on the name will produce a story which I publish and connect to the pen. There are customers who don't like personalisations and other who do. The pens always sell.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 12th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    My preference would be to leave the monogram. Is it a bad name? Surely the provenance of the pen means something. My suggestion is change the way of thinking about it rather than change the pen.
    likewise, but especially if the pen is old.

Thanks

To all of those people who are in favour of monogramming their items with their name please bear in mind that when you're gone and the item lives on to be passed onto it's next owner; for every "next owner" who is happy to own an item monogrammed with someone else name there will be another "next owner" who isn't happy to own an item monogrammed with someone else name. Those who are gone don't care, but about half of those next new owners in the world do.

As far as a Montblanc pen is concerned clips haven't changed much although those issued before 1990 might not have a serial number or Germany etched on there. You would need a loupe to see those differences.
    I'm not sure but Montblanc might charge an amount equivalent to a level 1 service to change a clip - it probably depends on the model. For a jeweller to remove a clip, level it out, fill it, clean it up enough to be able to accept several layers of gold plating and then do that job is very likely to cost considerably more. Even then the end colour might not match the cap bands that were plated by Montblanc.

For someone who wants to own a pen without someone else's name monogrammed on it's clip getting Montblanc to swap it makes more sense.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 13th, 2021 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    To all of those people who are in favour of monogramming their items with their name please bear in mind that when you're gone and the item lives on to be passed onto it's next owner; for every "next owner" who is happy to own an item monogrammed with someone else name there will be another "next owner" who isn't happy to own an item monogrammed with someone else name. Those who are gone don't care, but about half of those next new owners in the world do.
    Surely the main point of putting your name on your pen is to ensure it doesn't go to the "next owner" while you were still wishing to own it yourself.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Surely the main point of putting your name on your pen is to ensure it doesn't go to the "next owner" while you were still wishing to own it yourself.
    Not necessarily. They may have a poor memory.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Not necessarily. They may have a poor memory.
    Can't remember that's their pen without a name on it? Or can't remember that's their name without having it written on their pen? The latter could be awkward. "What's your name?" "Er, hang on, I'll check. Um, Pelikan Souverän...?" "I'm sorry Mr Souverän, but you don't seem to be on the computer" "I might be from Germany, if that helps...?"
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 13th, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 13th, 2021), Ole Juul (March 13th, 2021), rogeliogarciac (March 21st, 2021)