Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franklin-Cristoph- HPSteel S.I.G vs HPS Fine Cursive Italic (Masuyama)

Thanks

Default Franklin-Cristoph- HPSteel S.I.G vs HPS Fine Cursive Italic (Masuyama)

Does anyone have any experience especially w/the HP Steel S.I.G nibs and then any comparison to Masuyama's CI?

Leaning on getting a Franklin Cristoph for a birthday present (to me), but am undecided in regards to the nib?

Any feedback would great be appreciated
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,129 Posts

Default Re: Franklin-Cristoph- HPSteel S.I.G vs HPS Fine Cursive Italic (Masuyama)

Here's a quick comparison on 4mm grid Stalogy. The SIG is a recent purchase so I haven't had as much time with it. It feels a touch more forgiving than the medium CI. The CI is crisper, can be toothier at speed for an undisciplined hand like mine, looks wetter in this sample because more recently filled. I like both a lot.

F-C nib comparison.jpg

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

hashes (March 9th, 2021), Igraine (March 19th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (March 11th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (March 8th, 2021), wingwiper (March 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Franklin-Cristoph- HPSteel S.I.G vs HPS Fine Cursive Italic (Masuyama)

This video may be helpful as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYDPPch0BY

I've become interested in the S.I.G. nibs also.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I have both. They work as advertised: the SIG is more forgiving (and I know about this, being LH) and the Masuyama is more crisp. Both nibs work very well, and it depends on what you want your writing to look like and if you are ok with paying attention to your hand position/rotation/etc (because a true CI is less forgiving of sloppy placement on the page).

Both good, and give different writing results. Determine how you want to write and go from there.

(p.s. I thought Mike wasn't doing nibs for them anymore?)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    (p.s. I thought Mike wasn't doing nibs for them anymore?)
    They’ve switched to Nagahara but were (until recently anyway) selling off remaining Masuyama nibs in stock.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 8th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

My experience is that the Masuyama CI was one of the drier and least forgiving italic nibs I have ever tried and that the SIG (I have a fine width version) is basically a smooth stub. However, my sample is limited to one of each, so hardly representative.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    My experience is that the Masuyama CI was one of the drier and least forgiving italic nibs I have ever tried and that the SIG (I have a fine width version) is basically a smooth stub. However, my sample is limited to one of each, so hardly representative.
    Mine has been flawless and, oddly enough, just used in the last hour to write a letter. Now housed in a Ryan Krusac pen. Both this and the SIG worked fine from the start.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Nice!

I sold mine with the pen it came in (to Chrissy as it happens), and bought another from FPNibs.com which worked better for me - still crisp, but wetter. Again though, it's the only MM nib I've had, and it's likely I could have had it adjusted as part of FCs policy, but I didn't know I could do that back then. Perhaps I should try another, but by Nagahara (whom I believe grinds a similar edge)? Now, if only FC started selling nib units again.

Thanks

There are so many variables in how a nib is ground and set up and then used. The more specialized a nib - the further away it is from being just a round blob on the end of the tines - the more chance there is for it not to be exactly what one wants. A bit of luck, a modest amount of experience with the nib person or company, it all goes in but buying without trying is always fraught with the potential for meh or worse. Maybe that is why my favorite writers mean so much to me!

All that said, and back to the original question, the main purpose of the SIG was to be forgiving, and I think it mostly is.

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Here's a quick comparison on 4mm grid Stalogy. The SIG is a recent purchase so I haven't had as much time with it. It feels a touch more forgiving than the medium CI. The CI is crisper, can be toothier at speed for an undisciplined hand like mine, looks wetter in this sample because more recently filled. I like both a lot.

F-C nib comparison.jpg
    Wow..........you guys are great!! Thank you so much for the feedback as it was a great help.

I ordered both............a CI/MM, a #6 SIG extra fine for my new 02 (birthday gift- to me, for me, from me....) and a #5 SIG broad for my 65

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post

I ordered both............a CI/MM, a #6 SIG extra fine for my new 02 (birthday gift- to me, for me, from me....) and a #5 SIG broad for my 65
    Sounds good. Happy birthday!

Thanks

I ordered both...
    You know, you could have saved us a lot of typing if you had done this to begin with!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Which pen model did you get? I just got my first FC, a 46. Already considering another, though I’m sticking with the regular included HP steel nibs for now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I ordered both...
    You know, you could have saved us a lot of typing if you had done this to begin with!

No that is completely untrue.................are you the writing police? I needed some FP users feedback/opinion on the SIG as I have never seen anyone comment

Hearing what you guys described in regards to the SIG nibs influenced me to purchase a SIG nib along with the MM/CI nib

Thank you guys again!!

Last edited by wingwiper; March 9th, 2021 at 03:40 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Which pen model did you get? I just got my first FC, a 46. Already considering another, though I’m sticking with the regular included HP steel nibs for now.
    I ordered the Model 02 Intrinsic FP - Black & Cinnamaroon

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 9th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (March 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I ordered the Model 02 Intrinsic FP....
    That's the model I thought had the best ergonomics.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 9th, 2021 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    I ordered the Model 02 Intrinsic FP - Black & Cinnamaroon

Ah yes, that’s a pretty one...caught my eye too!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Igraine For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Hi Fred......!

Yes sir those were kind of my thoughts as well?

FEDEX actually just dropped off.............they ship fast. Ordered on Monday abt 2:00PM and arrived already, will be breaking open soon to check out

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Hi Fred......!

Yes sir those were kind of my thoughts as well...
    The 02 was the one I bought after handling their entire range at the time at the pen show (forget which). Scott agreed.

Thanks

So I received my package from Franklin-Cristoph of their Model 02/Intrinsic.................I'm more of a Vintage Pen guy, but this thing is pretty impressive. Light weight, I have somewhat larger hands so it fits my hand pretty good, especially capped. Love the way they tapered the barrel so when placing the cap on the barrel it seats nice and deep.

I tried all the nibs and must say am impressed as well. I know I need to supply a writing sample, but plz have a little mercy on a disabled vet who has nerve damage in his hands. The 02 I ordered with a Nagahara Fine CI- outstanding nib, a little more crisp which I prefer............and a tad dry, which I can easily fix. I also ordered their SIG extra fine and tried that one. I have to say I actually prefer the SIG so far, writes a tad wetter as well.

I took the medium CI Masuyama out the 65 I purchased from a member here (thank you!), which he must have tweaked a little as the flow is great and this CI is a little more forgiving. Of course there will be a degree of contrast between a F and a M cursive italic. I removed the #5 medium CI and put in the new SIG broad I ordered and my goodness...........I believe I prefer this one as well. For a broad it write more like a fat medium?

I must point out that Franklin-Cristoph's SIG nibs...........a variant of "stub-italic" are somewhat to a degree similar to Pendlton Brown's BLS nibs, however his are more stubbish, albeit depending on the writing angle will write thinner like an italic.

FC SIG nibs at least to me write lite like a thin stub, or a smooth, a little stubbish cursive italic.

All of their nibs, Nagahara, Masuyama, SIG.............have not tried their standard steel, 14k gold or flex (steel and gold). I will be ordering their #6 steel flex when it comes back in stock- it was my first choice, but they are sold out of them at present.

Ask Fred, some of the others I have bought from here.................I am more of a vintage guy, however this to me was a great buy- the colors- Black/Cinnamaroon are vintage looking to me (yeah)- great service and communication; thank you Rhonda. Its nice when you can pick up the phone, speak to someone who is breathing and will describe, answer any questions you might have, are pleasant and not acting like you are a bother.

Many of my vintage pens that I have had for over 20-30 years of course need service from just being old, rubber deteriorates, etc. There is nothing like a good Snorkel, Conklin Cresent w/their flexy nibs, vintage Japanese w/their unique cut off valve-eyedropper oens, their vintage steel nibs have a ton of flex and of course their 14k gold- pre-WW2 are just stupid crazy, vintage Mont Blanc 146 with a crazy 14c flex extra fine. If I sound as I am boasting, plz forgive me as my collecting fashion which started in the 1970's.............I just like the simple, warm pens of a by gone era. Had John Mottishaw loosen up many years ago a couple Duofold Sr nibs to where they don't write like nails anymore. CI and lots of flex..........baby, but yes on a vintage pen. You get the best of both worlds

And no I'm not getting any kick backs............just giving props to an American made Fountain Pen Company who puts out a great product. I reckon in todays cancel culture, highly politized society that is taboo to say, however I would think here everyone leaves their bias's at the door

Once again thank you guys for your input, which I greatly appreciate. I would not have purchased the SIG nibs probably (?), but maybe after talking to them- who knows, when you have been bit buy the FP bug as I have/was..............for all the years of collecting you just go for it

Last edited by wingwiper; March 10th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 10th, 2021), Empty_of_Clouds (March 10th, 2021), ethernautrix (March 20th, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 10th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (March 10th, 2021)