Thread: Filling Vac-Fil plunger-fillers from 5mm vials? Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Filling Vac-Fil plunger-fillers from 5ml vials? Forewarned is forearmed.

I really like Sheaffer plunger-fillers and their prodigious reservoirs of ink, especially those with conical Triumph-style nibs. For a long time, they were the stepchildren of pen collectors until a couple of penmeisters perfected the means of restoration. So now I have a growing collection of these pens. But there's one (albeit minor) problem....

They are a PITA to fill from a 5ml vial! A plunger filler first expels air and any leftover ink through it's section into the vessel before the sudden release of vacuum pulls the ink into the pen. But the moment before that happens, the vial and section leave no room for that initial expulsion of air and ink, and the ink in the vial and pen have no alternative but to push UP the tiny vial...to make a small mess. Why do I keep trying? Because I stubbornly insist on putting THAT ink in THIS pen.

Well, I did achieve partial success in the bottom of the laundry sink - about half a fill. That'll do this time around, and I simply rinsed the geyser spill down the drain. Plunger fillers? Stick with bottles and forget the vials. (Your genius solutions will be most welcome!)

The '47 Sheaffer Sentinel DeLuxe Vac-Fil and the last of the faux MBRG ink.

IMG_3681.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 11th, 2021 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

Default Re: Filling Vac-Fil plunger-fillers from 5mm vials? Forewarned is forearmed.

that pen is gorgeous. you just need taller ink vials.

Thanks

Default Re: Filling Vac-Fil plunger-fillers from 5ml vials? Forewarned is forearmed.

I use a Pineider ink filler. Similar to a Visconti traveling ink well. Works perfectly for all but the slenderest Vacuum-Fil pens.

Stacy Hills
    PaperWantsAPen

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: Filling Vac-Fil plunger-fillers from 5mm vials? Forewarned is forearmed.

This may work -- I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I get from dreaming (day or otherwise) about how pen filling systems work *continuously*.

Basically, build up the vacuum outside of the ink vial.

Meaning, with the nib *outside of the vial*, push the rod up to the point where the rubber seal is about to hit the enlarged part in the barrel.

Then put your nib inside the vial and push a bit more to release the vacuum, sucking the ink in.

Your "geyser" should be just a tiny burp now.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This may work -- I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I get from dreaming (day or otherwise) about how pen filling systems work *continuously*.

Meaning, with the nib *outside of the vial*, push the rod up to the point where the rubber seal is about to hit the enlarged part in the barrel.

Then put your nib inside the vial and push a bit more to release the vacuum, sucking the ink in.

This describes what I do with my Sheaffer Legacy on the rare occasion that I have used the plunger filler in a vial that is fairly full. However, because the filler is as removable as a converter I more often than not just fill it with a syringe or one of these handy spring syringe fillers
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (March 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Frankly, I just use other pens (you have other pens, don't you?) for anything that has come to me in vials (rare these days), and fill the vac-fills from bottles of inks I like. I really would rather just have a nice, full fill of a good ink, and use another pen for experimenting with a sample of something. That's just me.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

That was the final method, a compromise, because without the normal full length push down in one go, I only get a partial fill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Frankly, I just use other pens (you have other pens, don't you?) for anything that has come to me in vials (rare these days), and fill the vac-fills from bottles of inks I like. I really would rather just have a nice, full fill of a good ink, and use another pen for experimenting with a sample of something. That's just me.
    Alas, that ink HAD to go into this pen! Destiny! (Sort of.)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 11th, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 11th, 2021)