Thread: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

Thanks

Default Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

I bought a TWSBI 580AL 'Diamond' several years ago and liked it very much except for the threads next to the section on the exterior of the clear body. Due to the way I held the 580AL, the threads felt sharp and uncomfortable against the inside of my middle finger. As a result, I haven't purchased another 580 model.

I do have several TWSBI Eco models and enjoy writing with them very much.

So my question is, over the last few years, has TWSBI modified the threads on the 580AL body to make them a bit more comfortable for folks like me?

(Note: on the 580AL I bought, I used sandpaper to smooth the edges of the threads, with some moderate success.)

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Tin Pen View Post
    I bought a TWSBI 580AL 'Diamond' several years ago and liked it very much except for the threads next to the section on the exterior of the clear body. Due to the way I held the 580AL, the threads felt sharp and uncomfortable against the inside of my middle finger. As a result, I haven't purchased another 580 model.

I do have several TWSBI Eco models and enjoy writing with them very much.

So my question is, over the last few years, has TWSBI modified the threads on the 580AL body to make them a bit more comfortable for folks like me?

(Note: on the 580AL I bought, I used sandpaper to smooth the edges of the threads, with some moderate success.)

Thanks!
    Anyone? Anyone? The sharp threads on the original 580AL were mentioned in several reviews, I remember. TWSBI has since evidently "improved" its threading to better accommodate the cap. Did TWSBI also make the threads on the 580AL (and 580?) a bit more comfortable?

Thanks

I have four 580s, including an AL-R, and I don't see any difference in the cap threads. All are exactly the same and smooth and mild in the extreme.

Thanks

I am using 580 clear version and I do not have a problem on the thread. I feel OK when holding the pen on the thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I have four 580s, including an AL-R, and I don't see any difference in the cap threads. All are exactly the same and smooth and mild in the extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyboy888 View Post
    I am using 580 clear version and I do not have a problem on the thread. I feel OK when holding the pen on the thread.
    Thanks, @BrilliantBill and @lonelyboy888! I'm gonna just have to make the hopeful assumption that TWSBI has, over the last couple of years, made their 580 line of pens with more comfortable 'cap threads' on the barrel. I'll order another 580 AL to see if TWSBI's newer model have included a thread modification. :-)

For reference, here is a QUOTE from a 2014 review of the TWSBI 580 Diamond AL:

The grip section is made of aluminum and aids the durability of the pen. However, the placement of the threads to hold the cap in place can be problematic. I hold the pen further up the grip than normal and the threads are sharp enough to dig into my fingertip after extended use. I know I’m not crazy about this either. I handed the pen to a lady I work with and she immediately noticed the placement of the threads. I don’t believe this is a deal breaker, but every pen company should look at Franklin-Christoph’s thread placements and consider making the switch.