Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

    I bought a TWSBI 580AL 'Diamond' several years ago and liked it very much except for the threads next to the section on the exterior of the clear body. Due to the way I held the 580AL, the threads felt sharp and uncomfortable against the inside of my middle finger. As a result, I haven't purchased another 580 model.

    I do have several TWSBI Eco models and enjoy writing with them very much.

    So my question is, over the last few years, has TWSBI modified the threads on the 580AL body to make them a bit more comfortable for folks like me?

    (Note: on the 580AL I bought, I used sandpaper to smooth the edges of the threads, with some moderate success.)

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rin Tin Pen View Post
    I bought a TWSBI 580AL 'Diamond' several years ago and liked it very much except for the threads next to the section on the exterior of the clear body. Due to the way I held the 580AL, the threads felt sharp and uncomfortable against the inside of my middle finger. As a result, I haven't purchased another 580 model.

    I do have several TWSBI Eco models and enjoy writing with them very much.

    So my question is, over the last few years, has TWSBI modified the threads on the 580AL body to make them a bit more comfortable for folks like me?

    (Note: on the 580AL I bought, I used sandpaper to smooth the edges of the threads, with some moderate success.)

    Thanks!
    Anyone? Anyone? The sharp threads on the original 580AL were mentioned in several reviews, I remember. TWSBI has since evidently "improved" its threading to better accommodate the cap. Did TWSBI also make the threads on the 580AL (and 580?) a bit more comfortable?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Time
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 449 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

    I have four 580s, including an AL-R, and I don't see any difference in the cap threads. All are exactly the same and smooth and mild in the extreme.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

    I am using 580 clear version and I do not have a problem on the thread. I feel OK when holding the pen on the thread.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Have TWSBI 580AL threads on body been made more user friendly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I have four 580s, including an AL-R, and I don't see any difference in the cap threads. All are exactly the same and smooth and mild in the extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelyboy888 View Post
    I am using 580 clear version and I do not have a problem on the thread. I feel OK when holding the pen on the thread.
    Thanks, @BrilliantBill and @lonelyboy888! I'm gonna just have to make the hopeful assumption that TWSBI has, over the last couple of years, made their 580 line of pens with more comfortable 'cap threads' on the barrel. I'll order another 580 AL to see if TWSBI's newer model have included a thread modification. :-)

    For reference, here is a QUOTE from a 2014 review of the TWSBI 580 Diamond AL:

    The grip section is made of aluminum and aids the durability of the pen. However, the placement of the threads to hold the cap in place can be problematic. I hold the pen further up the grip than normal and the threads are sharp enough to dig into my fingertip after extended use. I know Iím not crazy about this either. I handed the pen to a lady I work with and she immediately noticed the placement of the threads. I donít believe this is a deal breaker, but every pen company should look at Franklin-Christophís thread placements and consider making the switch.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •