Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccine question

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Vaccine question

And the news that Rev. Jesse Jackson and his wife, both vaccinated back in January, have both tested positive and have been hospitalized, is a reminder that being vaccinated is never an impenetrable shield and that we all must continue to use our masks and distancing if we wish to do what we can to protect ourselves and our families. I have not yet stopped wearing my mask in any store that I enter: 17 months and counting.

And I will be teaching in a mask and cleaning desk surfaces multiple times a day.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Texas governor credits the vaccine for his recent recovery.

Thanks

I've just read that three unvaccinated Florida teachers died in one day. Also, one teaching assistant died.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I've just read that three unvaccinated Florida teachers died in one day. Also, one teaching assistant died.
    Yes, but I'm pretty sure that they happened to contract the virus over the summer outside of school. The headlines I saw about this were irresponsibly suggestive of it being related to the return of school.

Unless there are more different cases that I am not aware of.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Roughly 165k people die around the globe every day, for all sorts of reasons. Why are these any more important than the others?
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Roughly 165k people die around the globe every day, for all sorts of reasons. Why are these any more important than the others?
    Like you,‘unvaccinated.

Thanks

Because dying of covid is largely, not wholly, preventable by vaccination.

My mother died of a pulmonary embolism, caused by a deep vain thrombosis after a long haul flight from Djakarta to Amsterdam. If she knew then what we all know now, (e.g. airlines now inform and instruct you to continuously hydrate yourself and move around the plane periodically), her death at that time might have been avoidable.

That part of it hurts more than accepting the inevitability of nature’s law that children bring their parent to their grave. It might have been avoidable.

Taking the vaccine for me is the same thing. You follow medical science’s recommendations to avoid unnecessary health risks for yourself and in this case also for others.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 29th, 2021)

Thanks

What a troll question.

Thanks

So, apparently, some people will avoid the vaccine but will trust a drug meant for livestock:

WFLA: Spike in poisonings from livestock deworming drug reported in Florida.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/sp...ed-in-florida/

Thanks

That's not the question I asked. Why are those COVID deaths Chuck references any more important than the non-COVID deaths? Pretty much any of them are preventable too. Child drowns in tub? Preventable. Polio (yes, we still have that)? Preventable. Head injury? Fall? Electrocution? Pretty much all preventable. Which one do we pick? There are so many. Fire, tuberculosis, malaria, meningitis, HIV/AIDS, drug overdose, malnutrition and starvation, the list goes on. You could argue that the overwhelming majority are preventable.

You can transmit the virus if you are vaccinated or not.
    You can contract the virus if you are vaccinated or not.
    You can die from the virus if you are vaccinated or not.

Which of those is untrue?

Oh, since we're doing family anecdotes, my 77 year old mother, her 78 year old husband and her 72 year old brother all contracted COVID last year. Worst was her, and she lied in bed with flu-like symptoms for a week. Her husband went 3 days without playing golf. Her brother (previous stroke, previous heart attack, overweight, etc...) was the one we thought it would kill, but he was just "feeling puny" for a week. None of them had any treatment.

Not enough? Want more examples of "medical science"? My wife's aunt (71 and pushing 400 lbs) was sick for about 10 days. No medical treatment. Her husband? 72 and identical to all the rest, although he did experience the taste/smell problem for about a month.

What are the long term effects for them? What are the long term effects for the vaccine? What does the "medical science" say? Nothing worthwhile, because we simply don't know. Which "medical science"? At what time did we ever shut down competing medical opinions? Until COVID, "second opinions" were expected and even encouraged. You people have let fear-mongers manipulate you, and you have happily adopted one perspective and condemn anyone who disagrees (not to mention their "science").

Is COVID deadly? Sure. So is a piece of bad chicken. In the U.S., we're at around 1.8% case fatality rate currently. That percentage drops as we discover more people with the antibody, who apparently were infected with mild to no symptoms. Why do you not include those in your anecdotes? I know, it's much more fun to wave your torches and pitchforks at them while you yell "SUPERSPREADER".

None of you who like to shout "science" seem to understand how it works. There are competing hypotheses and different scientists disagree about what we do and do not know. Their fucking job is to try to prove or disprove various hypotheses and develop a theory. You can't do that when you declare any scientist not named Fauci as a spreader of misinformation.

Was Sweden's model correct? What about Israel's? Was one better than the other? Does it depend on region and culture, or is there one blanket solution? We don't know. I don't know, and you don't know. Yet you (and apparently Chuck) insist you do, and not only that; you know better.

We're all going to die. One day you will be one of those 165k. One day I will too. Does it really matter what the cause was labeled as when you're dead? It's more important for me to live, knowing that the inevitable is waiting patiently. I'm certainly not going to run around biting my nails speculating about all the things that could kill me. How many people have died in car accidents on the way to get their COVID shot? What about that small percentage of people who died from the vaccine? Talk about irony.

--edit--

Just ran across this. Things that make you go hmmmm.

SameFearDifferentYear.jpg
    Last edited by dneal; August 29th, 2021 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks

THat said, you got pretty upset over my comment about not being given an ICU bed. So I take it that your cavalier post here is not really accurate. You want to live and you expect others to take better care of you than you took care of yourself. You not only want that ICU bed, you think you deserve it. That's entitlement.

I think you overall understandings about vaccines and what benefit is derived is lacking. You wrote:
    "You can transmit the virus if you are vaccinated or not.
    You can contract the virus if you are vaccinated or not.
    You can die from the virus if you are vaccinated or not."

The answer is maybe, not yes or no. This is why face coverings and 6 foot distancing is also a part of staying well and helping others to stay well. It is why one approach for inside and another outside is important to know and consider. To quote John Wesley:
    "“Do all the good you can,
    By all the means you can,
    In all the ways you can,
    In all the places you can,
    At all the times you can,
    To all the people you can,
    As long as ever you can.”

When children under 12 are allowed to receive the vaccine, I will feel less concerned about wearing a mask. Where I live children are in the hospitals and more sick with the Delta varient. This is exactly why school systems are concerned and why governors who are preventing reasonable measures are so wrong headed.

THe bigger issue is most interesting. How do people become radicalized so that they stop taking care of themselves and have little or no regard for others, especially children. When they are in their private moments, how do the rationalise their words and acton? I sense there is some type of long term brooding, sort of like the varicella virus, that is present and at just the right times, when someone or some group comes along, their heart is revealed. Perhaps it is even a type of PTSD. It seems to be most prominent among senior white males in the US. I say this because they will post threads about the good old days.

On another forum a man posted that the good old days is when you could give a good natured butt slap to a female. It is like they are greived black and brown people are no longer in their place, that the factory closed, or their kids have nothing to do with them. Personally, I don't want to end up with nothing but a $80K retirement pick up truck that I cannot back into a parking space after several attempts.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; August 29th, 2021 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks

Got upset? Not at all. Use your arguments from emotion against you, to demonstrate what a hypocrite you are? Definitely.

Now do you care to answer the original question? Of course not.

As for my propositions, "can" does not mean "will". Your "maybe" argument against those propositions is simply one more of many examples of your inability to identify, understand, or employ reason. Are those three propositions true or not? What does the "science" say? Here, I'll rephrase it in a question so you can more easily ignore truth. Can a vaccinated person transmit COVID, become infected with it, and/or die from it?

Thanks

You were mad as hell.

Like I said, the answer is maybe. Not yes or know. That’s what scientific observations tell us.

Thanks

Chuck, I know you want to think highly of yourself; but anger has never been an emotion you could elicit from me.

I just get a kick of how you woke lefties are so empathetic, until you find a witch. Then you become vicious. The facade is gone. You guys amazingly then deny this personality trait so clearly evidenced, and go back to pretending until the next episode.

I can trigger those in you whenever I want. What is there for me to be mad about?

Thanks

I can trigger those in you whenever I want.
    The central troll tenet.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

dneal (August 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Chuck, I know you want to think highly of yourself; but anger has never been an emotion you could elicit from me.

I just get a kick of how you woke lefties are so empathetic, until you find a witch. Then you become vicious. The facade is gone. You guys amazingly then deny this personality trait so clearly evidenced, and go back to pretending until the next episode.

I can trigger those in you whenever I want. What is there for me to be mad about?
    You feel entitled to have an ICU bed regardless of your stupidity. That much is evident!!

Thanks

I can do this all day, @dneal. It’s not my first rodeo with an idiot.

Thanks

That's quite a metaphor for your cerebral onanism. Best you go back to practicing it in private though. It's not pleasant to watch.

Thanks

That's quite a metaphor for your cerebral onanism. Best you go back to practicing it in private though. It's not pleasant to watch.
    Well, I left you without a retort.

Thanks

Well, I left you without a retort.
    You’re demonstrating the opposite though.

I will say that your unintentionally providing a near perfect example of projection, and your penchant for it, is truly amazing