Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccine question

Thanks

Default Re: Vaccine question

Nope... totally NOT meant for you... Herbguy understood my reference perfectly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Will not take it, even at gunpoint.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 19th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

The "gun" is more likely pointed at a more vulnerable individual than, perhaps, yourself. If someone is likely to die from your decision, isn't it more noble to sacrifice yourself?

But, no matter, we've got you covered. I got my second dose yesterday. I've felt pretty dumpy all day. You're welcome.

Thanks

My Trumpian friend will not get the vaccine. It is like mask wearing for him. It reminds me of the child who stomps their feet and refuses to be obedient. Or, the people in church who think the virus knows not to mess with them. Humans are complicated. That said, I learned something new this morning and it's called the Platinum Rule, or, treat others as they want to be treated. If you don't want it, don't take it.

Thanks

Decided to write up my experience with the mass medicine vaccination approach. Interesting experience...

https://deadreckoning1.wordpress.com...mass-medicine/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Decided to write up my experience with the mass medicine vaccination approach. Interesting experience...

https://deadreckoning1.wordpress.com...mass-medicine/
    Awesome writing, Bill. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I had very little side effects from Moderna shot #1, but after shot #2, I was in bed with chills and aches all day (the next day). I'm over 60, but not yet 65. Today I am much better. It came on quickly, and 30 hours later it left quickly. Small price to pay for helping out myself and the community. I am also a teacher, and we continue to have cases at school, and I regularly visit my 89 yr old mother, so....it just makes so much sense.

As a kid in the '60s , I can remember seeing so many older people still in polio leg braces. Vaccines aren't perfect, but they are nearly miraculous when seen in perspective of widespread disease.

By the way, that disclaimer from Pfizer just means that vaccines don't guarantee "prevention" of contraction of the virus. They aren't a Star-Trek-like defense shield, so they don't want people to misunderstand what a vaccine does (and then behave unwisely or sue them).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Ooookay. A couple of my coworkers had "mild" COVID. When they finally returned to work, they said it suuuuuucked. As much as I want to rant and rave about herd immunity and selfish people and whatever, I won't do so. Well, I won't do so until these vaccines are no longer considered experimental by the FDA. When they are just more vaccines on the CDC schedules, just as measles and polio vaccines are on the CDC schedules, then I'll be quite happy to berate those who won't take the COVID shots. But until then, I'll just consider anti-COVID-vaxxers misguided.

Thanks

My second Moderna shot actually made my arm painful. But then, that may have been because my cat stood right on the injection site with both front paws, purring loudly. And concentrating all the weight of the universe on those two front paws, as cats do. Without that dubious feline "assistance", I don't know if I would have said that the injection site discomfort rose to the level of pain. Since I'd scheduled the second shot for the afternoon prior to one of my days off, I slept that entire next day. I usually sleep like that on my days off, so I couldn't tell you whether I felt awful or not. I was asleep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    As a kid in the '60s , I can remember seeing so many older people still in polio leg braces. Vaccines aren't perfect, but they are nearly miraculous when seen in perspective of widespread disease.
    And all the TV shops with plots involving people in iron lungs.

Thanks

"Shows" not "shops"

Thanks

Good luck, Ray.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 14th, 2021)

Thanks

J&J also showing blood clots similar to AZ.
    Denmark permanently stops using AZ
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...eneca-vaccine/

I can't fucking wait for Pfizer and/or Moderna shots, USA seems to be doing well with them to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I had an achy back and neck 24 hours after my Moderna shot, but I was better the next day. I am happy I got it; it definitely gave me a psychological boost. I know the limitations--just like the flu vaccine. And I will still mask up around people. I don't expect us to get anywhere near herd immunity in Louisiana. We had high infection rates and high death rates, but nothing will sway people here. They don't even get the flu shot. Lots of the kids aren't vaccinated--heck, lots of them don't even go to school regularly, and that was before the pandemic.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (April 16th, 2021)

Thanks

Perhaps this is an overgeneralization, but people don't seem to be informed. Newspapers and network news no longer are or are considered reliable sources of information. Confirmation bias is the norm for how people choose to receive information. I am pessimistic that this will change anytime soon. Sometimes my mouth drops at the things people say they believe. I left Facebook three years ago. I could not stand the nonsense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Perhaps this is an overgeneralization, but people don't seem to be informed. Newspapers and network news no longer are or are considered reliable sources of information. Confirmation bias is the norm for how people choose to receive information. I am pessimistic that this will change anytime soon. Sometimes my mouth drops at the things people say they believe. I left Facebook three years ago. I could not stand the nonsense.
    Interesting. The Barbara Snock syndrome.

From an historical perspective, I don't think much has really changed. I'm working on a piece now about 1968, one of the most pivotal years in U.S. history. Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America," went to Vietnam after the Tet offensive, looked around, came back and said we can't win this war. President Johnson responds, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America," and a few weeks later announces he will not run for another term. That was the mainstream media of the time, and most people believed it. We had three TV networks, and we had newspapers. They were pretty reliable, but they were all contaminated with the long, dicey history of journalism. It's always been a business -- and rarely a pretty one. As ownership of media outlets has consolidated, a corporate agenda has severely polluted all reporting, or lack thereof. However, I think the biggest change has been with the vox populi -- the voice of the people.

Back in 1968, you didn't hear what every individual thought/believed. About the only outlet for individual spouting was a newspaper "letter to the editor," and if you go back and read those from that era, many are just as nutty as what you'd see on facebook today. And those comments were weeded out -- only the best got published! Today, everybody can demonstrate the full bloom of his stupidity, ignorance, prejudice, hatred, insolence, etc. through facebook, twitter, etc. And many people would prefer to side with a nut from Ypsilanti, Michigan than The New York Times because Ypsilanti's reality more closely matches what they want theirs to be. I also got off facebook for this reason. I also don't look directly into the eyes of most people, because I usually see a lot more than I want to -- and it's rarely good.

So, media has changed some because of corporate impingement on news, but it's still generally reliable, at least what does get reported. The lies of omission are the most egregious issue. People have not changed at all -- now we just have more opportunity to hear from more of them.

When we were children my sister had a good friend, Barbara Snock. To this day, we ridicule my sister with "Well, Barbara Snock said." Nothing in the world was valid until it had the Barbara Snock seal of approval. Walter Cronkite may have said we landed on the moon, but first we had to hear it from Barbara Snock! Call if confirmation bias, I guess, but it was the power of the voice of the people.

Amazingly, a year or so ago, I happened to meet Barbara Snock as an adult. She was more than a little embarrassed to be reminded of her standing over 60 years ago!

Thanks

I work with coagulation testing daily, have worked on COVID samples, and am generally a laboratory geek. I was sooooo excited when I saw that one of the clotting cases was from here in my state (Nevada). I had hopes until there was more information available that the patient was one of the patients I'd tested. Not that I wished ill on the patient, but I wanted to look back and see what the patient's thromboelastography (TEG) results looked like. Okay, not that it matters. The characteristic results of TEG testing in COVID patients leads me to think that the six patients with abnormal clotting have similar results. And for the last several months, even before the vaccine rollout, there have been a lot of these characteristic results, both in patients hospitalized with severe COVID and patients who apparently do not have COVID.

I don't think the above makes a whole lot of sense. It does in my brain, but I am really befuddled from hard overnight shifts and not enough sleep. I'm gonna just let it stand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Interesting. The Barbara Snock syndrome.

From an historical perspective, I don't think much has really changed. I'm working on a piece now about 1968, one of the most pivotal years in U.S. history. Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America," went to Vietnam after the Tet offensive, looked around, came back and said we can't win this war. President Johnson responds, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America," and a few weeks later announces he will not run for another term. That was the mainstream media of the time, and most people believed it. We had three TV networks, and we had newspapers. They were pretty reliable, but they were all contaminated with the long, dicey history of journalism. It's always been a business -- and rarely a pretty one. As ownership of media outlets has consolidated, a corporate agenda has severely polluted all reporting, or lack thereof. However, I think the biggest change has been with the vox populi -- the voice of the people.

Back in 1968, you didn't hear what every individual thought/believed. About the only outlet for individual spouting was a newspaper "letter to the editor," and if you go back and read those from that era, many are just as nutty as what you'd see on facebook today. And those comments were weeded out -- only the best got published! Today, everybody can demonstrate the full bloom of his stupidity, ignorance, prejudice, hatred, insolence, etc. through facebook, twitter, etc. And many people would prefer to side with a nut from Ypsilanti, Michigan than The New York Times because Ypsilanti's reality more closely matches what they want theirs to be. I also got off facebook for this reason. I also don't look directly into the eyes of most people, because I usually see a lot more than I want to -- and it's rarely good.

So, media has changed some because of corporate impingement on news, but it's still generally reliable, at least what does get reported. The lies of omission are the most egregious issue. People have not changed at all -- now we just have more opportunity to hear from more of them.

When we were children my sister had a good friend, Barbara Snock. To this day, we ridicule my sister with "Well, Barbara Snock said." Nothing in the world was valid until it had the Barbara Snock seal of approval. Walter Cronkite may have said we landed on the moon, but first we had to hear it from Barbara Snock! Call if confirmation bias, I guess, but it was the power of the voice of the people.

Amazingly, a year or so ago, I happened to meet Barbara Snock as an adult. She was more than a little embarrassed to be reminded of her standing over 60 years ago!

I enjoyed this. Thank you.

Of course Bernie Madoff just died and he is perhaps illustriative of why we have become generally skeptical. Doctors are trained to be evidenced based, and most still probably are. I've read and listened to journalist who have communicated they are evidenced based. Hell, I try to be evidenced based and it concerns me when I am not.

Barbara Snock had your trust and we do need folks like that for which we can depend on not to just tell us something we want to hear.

Thanks

Atlantic magazine has this interesting summary of recent theories on the clotting problem associated with COVID vaccine(s). It's behind a paywall, so I am posting here a reader's view pdf version.

You're welcome!

The Blood-Clot Problem Is Multiplying __ Reader View.pdf

Thanks

Is this COVID exposure? COVID vaccination? Pure coincidence? Confirmation bias? All I know is over the past week, we have gotten some huge honkin' hypercoagulable TEG (thromboelastography) results. Whether a phlebotomist draws the samples or an RN draws the samples doesn't seem to matter. I don't remember seeing this many distinctively hypocoagulable samples. They all have "high shoulders", most have short R-times (which means plenty of coagulation factors) and high MAs--higher than the platelet count would indicate. They all have growing MA activator results, which indicates high fibrinogen and probably high levels of endogenous heparinases.

The most recent information seems to indicate that platelet activation is significant in the COVID vaccine coagulopathy cases, and that PF4 (Platelet Factor 4) may be involved.

Thanks

An antibody to the PF4/heparin complex, if I read things correctly.