Thread: Vintage inks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Vintage inks

In 1959, a British team had only one hour's notice to get on ship and abandon their Antarctic polar research station. Someone needs to go back for all that ink. There's got to be some nice Mabie Todds nearby.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (March 20th, 2021), eachan (March 20th, 2021), jbb (March 20th, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 20th, 2021), Robalone (December 25th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 21st, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (December 16th, 2021), Turquoise (March 21st, 2021), Yazeh (March 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Vintage inks

Interesting to consider the pens and inks that are lying in wait for discovery. I read an article recently about a farmer who discovered a WWI soldier buried in one of his fields. The soldier had a safety pen in his pocket, still full of ink — and it wrote immediately when uncapped!

Thanks

How long had he been buried when the farmer rummaged through his pockets?

Thanks

If I were given the opportunity to time travel I'd probably blow it on shopping.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 8th, 2021), Robalone (December 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    Interesting to consider the pens and inks that are lying in wait for discovery. I read an article recently about a farmer who discovered a WWI soldier buried in one of his fields. The soldier had a safety pen in his pocket, still full of ink — and it wrote immediately when uncapped!
    Um..., sometimes we have to question and research what we read on the internet. If WWI, that puts the pen in hard rubber territory. Sac or no sac, such a pen would not protect its contents from the environment underground. Perhaps if the body was in a hermetic coffin with a juicy body, or below the water table, it might happen. But just a skeleton under a farm field?

Oh! On second thought, did the article describe a farmer alive in early 20th century wartime, and that he dug up a relatively fresh body not long after the soldier's death? I've been trying to find the story online, to no avail. Please share.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 21st, 2021 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Greetings.
    Pursuant just to 'vintage inks' on more than one occasion I've bought those old Bakelite travelling ink bottle holders , and found the had an original bottle still in them, and once or twice there has been dried out remnant dust from their previous contents.
    I've added a small amount of straight tap water, ( careful not to add more than is necessary to make up a dense enough mix) and shaken it , and twice now have ended up with an ink that seems indistinguishable from the original.
    One was Waterman Violet and the other a Swan ' Auditors Green, both of these have performed perfectly in FPs .

I love the stories about stashes of old pens discovered in caches ....wish I could find a box of old MT eyedroppers 🤣

Thanks

Actually I tend to think of vintage inks as '50-60 or before.
    I have a few Pelikan cartridges left from W.Germany times two real fine grays and a very good orange............that Pelikan has not matched again.
    Two Lamy's from W.Germany time, that I've not yet used. A blue and a turquoise, in different bottles from the more famous modern ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo Olson View Post
    Actually I tend to think of vintage inks as '50-60 or before
    That's the thing about "vintage." As one cycles around the sun, one's childhood is shaded in vintage.