Thread: SCAMMER!

Thanks

Default SCAMMER!

Everyone be careful, I just fell victim to a fraudulent FPGeek user. I'm usually quick to identify a scammer, but this guy got lucky; the subject title of the user's message to me was the EXACT same as one of the conversations I was having at the time "pelikan". And I had just cleared some of my inbox to free up space for conversations (this is the most frustrating part of this forum).

To make matters worse, I have since erased my inbox and lost that persons contact. I do have the email address that we used shasta osbey <shonaosbeyvon@hotmail.com> and they phone number 1(409)666-2877 as well as their zelle account info Eric @ erichey007@gmail.com

Does anyone have any advice on where to find instructions on how to best manage their inbox? I want to make a folder and place all my current/open conversations in it, so when i clear my inbox it doesnt erase important info. ALSO, how can i erase individual conversations in my inbox from my PC? I know how to delete individual messages when i use the TapTalk app, but I cant on my PC.

The scam was 100% my fault, it was just luck that the user emailed me with same subject title as i was actively having a conversation with someone who I had just successfully made a transaction with, right after i had just deleted my inbox lol Not the end of the world (luckily I can afford it) but be careful out there.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: SCAMMER!

I don't know why you made 3 separate threads, but I'll answer here. Sorry that you got hit.

As for the Inbox, DO NOT use it for any important messaging, only to make initial contacts, etc. The owner of this site set up the PM system in an either minimal or poorly-done way, and it is definitely hard to maintain, there is very limited space, and you can't control the size by deleting individual messages. All you can do is delete the entire mailbox and start fresh. It really sucks but most of us who have been here for a while know this, try to make others aware, etc.

If you are buying or selling, make contact with the person this way (if you wish, or if they initiate) but then most definitely have another way to continue communication. The FPG PM system is unreliable over time and should not be trusted with any transactional use. Ever.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 22nd, 2021), Chrissy (March 26th, 2021), Detman101 (March 23rd, 2021), spencerwilli (March 22nd, 2021), TFarnon (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Why does this have to be a Want to Buy or Trade as well as a For Sale ad as well as a post in Pens in General?
    Isn't one thread called SCAMMER enough for us to hear about it?

How long might it take to mark this SCAMMER thread and the For Sale SCAMMER thread as sold?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

Take a look at the bottom of the PM screen and you will find these options:

Download all Private Messages as:
    XML | CSV | Text

After you download the messages you can store them way you prefer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

To maintain your Inbox, use Tapatalk which allows you to delete individual messages rather than the entire contents. For whatever reason, the Send box can be maintained through the forum website, and allows deletion of individual messages.

It's a side effect of neglect.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 22nd, 2021), Detman101 (March 23rd, 2021), spencerwilli (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    To maintain your Inbox, use Tapatalk which allows you to delete individual messages rather than the entire contents. For whatever reason, the Send box can be maintained through the forum website, and allows deletion of individual messages.

F***, I hate Tapatalk, but maybe I'll put it back on the phone just to delete individual PMs. As if that isn't the stupidest thing ever conceived, ever.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

F***, I hate Tapatalk, but maybe I'll put it back on the phone just to delete individual PMs. As if that isn't the stupidest thing ever conceived, ever.
    You and me both. And it will take more than being able to delete messages to make me ever use it again. It bolloxed up one of my devices for months after autoinstalling itself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post

XML | CSV | Text

Thank you!

And I post it in 3 spots just so people who are scrolling through different sections would see it. Most of the time when I log in I go straight to the “for sale” section and check my messages. But the “want to buy” area is for sure the place where I thought this should be posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post

XML | CSV | Text

Thank you!

And I post it in 3 spots just so people who are scrolling through different sections would see it. Most of the time when I log in I go straight to the “for sale” section and check my messages. But the “want to buy” area is for sure the place where I thought this should be posted.
    Just so you know, I never go through different sections. I always just look at what's new. I'm probably not the only one that prefers to use forums in that way. Anyway, the result of your posting is that I see three posts in a row with the same title.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 23rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 22nd, 2021), silverlifter (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post

You and me both. And it will take more than being able to delete messages to make me ever use it again. It bolloxed up one of my devices for months after autoinstalling itself.
    I have a dislike for it as well, even though I've never used it and I have no idea what it is. It probably wouldn't run on FreeBSD anyway. So why do I dislike it? Because it leaves unwanted advertising at the bottom of people's posts. I think that's rude, and if that's not spam, I don't know what it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...F***, I hate Tapatalk, but maybe I'll put it back on the phone just to delete individual PMs. As if that isn't the stupidest thing ever conceived, ever.
    I doubt it was conceived as an intention. As mentioned, I suspect it's just neglect, and the Inbox problem can simply be fixed in vBulletin, but you know that goes. So that leaves Tapatalk as the only workaround that I'm aware of.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    [

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand what you mean.
    However, it's unnecessary to post it 3 times under different forum headings. It's not an item you Want to Buy or Trade nor is it an item that you have For Sale. Anyone who wants to read it can read it in your selected regular forum category. Putting it in several different forum headings is called cross-posting and on most forums that isn't allowed. Under most circumstances an administrator or moderator would remove the extras. On here maybe it's a bit more laissez-faire.

People generally view New Posts by clicking on the New Posts tab. So they can all see anything that's new. I saw Scammer Scammer Scammer repeated on 3 lines when I popped in. Just imagine what it would be like if everyone posted everything 3 times in different forum headings.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 23rd, 2021 at 01:16 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 23rd, 2021), Ole Juul (March 26th, 2021), Stands on Feet (March 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

I have used Tapatalk in the past when I had an Android cellphone. I only installed it in order to be able to delete individual messages from my FPGeeks PM Inbox. I found that Tapatalk only works to remove new messages. If you have an Inbox with loads of messages in there then it won't delete all of those you want to delete. You can only get rid of the latest ones or the first few in your list.

Even if I delete all of the messages in my Inbox and the line below says I have no messages in my Inbox, I can still see and read 9 pages of Inbox messages. I see these because the people who have sent me those messages need to empty their Sent messages in order for them to disappear completely from the Inboxes they sent those messages to, but for some reason they don't do that.

This is why it's such a clunky system and is a side effect of neglect.

So if everyone might please maintain your FPGeeks Sent messages then the system would work a bit better.

On FPGeeks now you can delete individual Sent messages. No problem there. I wish the Inbox was the same. I've asked Eric about this but you can guess what happened.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 26th, 2021 at 02:40 AM.