Thread: Waterman ID help

Thanks

Default Waterman ID help

Hello Friends.

I'm posting in other threads, too, for some help with ID on some pens I have recently been gifted. I'm still learning about vintage pens and hope to benefit from the FPG hive.

This looks to me, maybe, like a '50's Waterman(s) Commando?

Commando's I can find documentation of mostly have double cap bands, usually gold (or plated?) and were pretty entry-level/bottom of the line pens. This pen has only one band and is not even gold. Have I the good fortune to have been gifted a "below-bottom-of-the-line-pen?" Wow...lucky me!

Regardless, it's a basic lever-fill, and therefore pretty simple - typical of its time - whatever that may have been. With just a bit of cleaning, "sac massage," and "nib-yoga," it's working fine. So that's good.

But still, I would like to know what the heck it actually is...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman ID help

Maybe a student model?

Thanks

I think it is a "Stalwart". Single chrome band eliminates "Commando" from consideration, as does the smaller "2a" nib. Commando was actually a larger, mid-market pen, and is usually marked on the barrel. Also, these are both 1940's pens, with names that reflect the global conflict. Even if a lower price point Waterman, the essential goodies are there...fantastic nibs and well-made feeds in an easy to service pen. Good to see that you have it working.

Bob

Thanks

It is a Waterman Stalwart or Dauntless from the mid 1940s.

I always have to go back to these two webpages from Ravens March to learn the differences between the Stalwart and the Dauntless and to understand the derogation of the UK version of these pens:
    http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3418
    http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=5182

So single cap band and chrome trim may be the Dauntless.

EDIT:
    This thread may also be helpful:
    https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...nd-a-stalwart/
    Last edited by jos; March 28th, 2021 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

Yes, you are correct. I guess the chrome trimmed Dauntless saved a fellow 25 or 50 cents. I always just lumped them together as Stalwarts without much thought. Raven's March is a well-written resource.

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingBallBaby View Post
    Hello Friends.

I'm posting in other threads, too, for some help with ID on some pens I have recently been gifted. I'm still learning about vintage pens and hope to benefit from the FPG hive.

This looks to me, maybe, like a '50's Waterman(s) Commando?

Commando's I can find documentation of mostly have double cap bands, usually gold (or plated?) and were pretty entry-level/bottom of the line pens. This pen has only one band and is not even gold. Have I the good fortune to have been gifted a "below-bottom-of-the-line-pen?" Wow...lucky me!

Regardless, it's a basic lever-fill, and therefore pretty simple - typical of its time - whatever that may have been. With just a bit of cleaning, "sac massage," and "nib-yoga," it's working fine. So that's good.

But still, I would like to know what the heck it actually is...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nib yoga and re-engizing and cleansing on a CLEAR QUARTZ CLUSTER. It's life will be back to young